Crystal Palace 2-0 Newcastle United (24/04/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

Sofascore gave us 0.36 xG. 7 shots, three were blocked and two were off target. I can barely remember any of them and the club may struggle to get 10 minutes of extended highlights.

Not good enough. My frustration watching it was us being bullied and continually giving it back to them.

Dogshit performance but again when I look at a starting 11 of ours and see Krafth, Murphy, Longstaff and Burn at LB I’m pretty much expecting it to come apart at some point. Sure we can pull off the odd result like Spurs but we’re going to get found out eventually especially away from home.

We can’t be having too many games next season when all 3 are playing in those same positions next season. 

Feels a missed opportunity to put some sort of gap over 8th. 

Against bottom 2 in next 2 games. With the players coming back, I’m expecting 6 points, otherwise we don’t deserve top 7 and any form of Europe.

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Dogshit performance but again when I look at a starting 11 of ours and see Krafth, Murphy, Longstaff and Burn at LB I’m pretty much expecting it to come apart at some point. Sure we can pull off the odd result like Spurs but we’re going to get found out eventually especially away from home.

We can’t be having too many games next season when all 3 are playing in those same positions next season. 

Probably only one of them should be starting this season TBH, maybe none if we had a more settled season and Hall had been introduced earlier. 

Just have to accept that we have half a team that is not PL quality and therefore we can lose to anyone. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

How good were Wharton and Andersen, man? Even Hughes, who always seems to do quite well against us for someone who looks like he should be terrible.

That was tough to watch. So much wrong. 

Our "3 man" midfield made Hughes/Wharton look like world beaters. 

We just could not beat the press.

Isak was playing off the shoulder of the defender all night with no success. Could have come deeper to link up a bit more. 

Players didn't seem to know their roles. Burn charging in for the goal was mental. 

Just a bad night all round. No redeeming remarks.

On to the next one.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by arnonel

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I wasn't that impressed with Wharton. Good, snappy work off the ball but I thought he misplaced quite a few easy passes. 

He was really good I thought, very press resistant and we struggled to get the ball off him

That first goal is a tough watch. Krafth has the ball and evidently needs a clear option - Murphy behind him, Gordon is tucked 10 yards inside where it's already congested rather than wide, and nobody else is there to show for it so it ends up with a rubbish punt while Murphy is out of position. Palace's pressing in that moment was hardly amazing either, we just abandoned basics and then made a series of defensive brainfarts.

4 minutes ago, Jinky said:

We have a very long way to go. Looked like relegation candidates.....not European challengers!

:suicide:

Half of the players are more suitable for a relegation side TBF. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

These games just happens sometimes.. However, if we were the ones who played last sunday, and they had 11 days off, and the exact same game play out. How much would the argument about days of rest be used to explain this performance? But yet, it happened when they had way less rest than us. Goes to show that sometimes we just have terrible games (nobody is perfect), and it's not allways due to tired players. Even when we have had 4 days rest, a bad performance is not necessarily due to fatigue. (I know that in december and january it was). We literally looked knackered, so it would be easy to jump on the lack of rest argument, except for the fact that this time we had 11 days of rest.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Rich said:

How good were Wharton and Andersen, man? Even Hughes, who always seems to do quite well against us for someone who looks like he should be terrible.

If we are looking for a ball passing centre back who is commanding in everything he does... look no further!

I thought their set up 3-4-2-1 made their press so much harder to beat. they were confident with the pace of clyne and Muñoz to cover the wings whilst Anderson controlled any threat through the middle. Loved Eze, what a silky and fast player!

Murphy, Krafth and Schar were all way below the passing levels required to beat a well organised press. oddly enough I though big Dan did allright passing the ball, just his defending for the goal was pretty poor...

Good day at the office for them and a mediocre one for us.

Seeing their depth off the bench as well?? I was jealous of palace being able to bring on decent level subs... Will be a couple more transfer windows before we can see little difference between onfield and subs

I actually think palaces recent game helped them, they were on their toes and made us look like we were stuck in mud. 

I think as long as you aren't playing every 3 days like we were for a month then it can be an advantage.