Newcastle United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (11/05/24) | Reaction: pg 21

Yorkie

4 hours ago, Beth said:

I would consider the ECL to be. We are not attracting any top class players to come here if we're in it.

You have no other options so you better embrace it.

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

It is games like these that we needed more than just Bruno to be a creafive spark. When Bruno has his rare off-days (not so off yeaterday but not his best either), we need another top quality midfielder in there. The ones we have would run into a brick wall and work their socks off for the team but doesn't mean they are creative enough.

Step forward, Sandro Tonali, for next season.

We defenitlly need more talent in the team. Graft only take you so far. thats a bit of critic to Howe that seems to love a good runner. Really hope for a different type of players this summer, then last.

56 minutes ago, ATB said:

We defenitlly need more talent in the team. Graft only take you so far. thats a bit of critic to Howe that seems to love a good runner. Really hope for a different type of players this summer, then last.

Yeah the lack of a really quality attacking winger on the right hurts us and as you say possible someone to create something from midfield other than Bruno. A genuine RW threat would be a massive boost for us though. 

Im still interested to see what impact Tonali has on the team. He’s classy on the ball and a great passer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nufcjb said:

It is games like these that we needed more than just Bruno to be a creafive spark. When Bruno has his rare off-days (not so off yeaterday but not his best either), we need another top quality midfielder in there. The ones we have would run into a brick wall and work their socks off for the team but doesn't mean they are creative enough.

Step forward, Sandro Tonali, for next season.

Agree where crying out for some creativity, but not sure Tonali is the creative spark from what I’ve seen so far. Ideally I’d like to see one of Tonali/Joelinton alongside Bruno with a 3rd more creative player in there, unfortunately don’t think where getting that under Howe, hence the need for the next RW to have a footballing brain and not just a speed merchant.

Edited by Whitley mag

5 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah the lack of a really quality attacking winger on the right hurts us and as you say possible someone to create something from midfield other than Bruno. A genuine RW threat would be a massive boost for us though. 

Im still interested to see what impact Tonali has on the team. He’s classy on the ball and a great passer.

Really liked the looked Tonali, will improve us a lot.

I thought Brighton played pretty well yesterday. For us it was a combination of things, Isak unwell, Wilson out (again) and we just lacked that cutting edge in the final 3rd as a result. I thought Barnes was a bit sloppy on his spell and Murphy being replaced by Miggy tells you everything you need to know about how much RW needs upgrading - neither are up to it. 

Disappointing last home game result but there’s still everything to play for 💪

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Agree where crying out for some creativity, but not sure Tonali is the creative spark from what I’ve seen so far. Ideally I’d like to see one of Tonali/Joelinton alongside Bruno with a 3rd more creative player in there, unfortunately don’t think where getting that under Howe hence the need for the next RW to have a footballing brain and not just a speed merchant.

Unless Bruno goes this summer I just don’t see us spending significant funds on another midfield especially with Tonali coming back. RW and striker together with defensive reinforcements will use up our budget. Assuming Bruno stays I imagine Howe will be trying to work out how best to deploy Tonali and Bruno in the side. Yes Tonali isn’t going to be a creative force but his skill set should improve our overall midfield play. A RW who can tear the arse out of a defence will make the world of difference for a creativity too.

It is easy to forget just how good Brighton has been for some time.  Their form has dipped relatively speaking, but they're easily a top half side and have been for some time.

I do think sometimes it is easy to think of the 'badge' rather than the side we're playing, and underestimate the opposition.  I still believe that Leicester's PL title win owed something to this - the best counter-attacking side in PL history seeing other clubs playing expansive football against them because 'its only Leicester'.

I don't think it is unfair to think that one day Brighton will find themselves in the third or fourth tier again, their 'natural' home.  But they are currently an extremely well-run club with an excellent manager and players.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It is easy to forget just how good Brighton has been for some time.  Their form has dipped relatively speaking, but they're easily a top half side and have been for some time.

I do think sometimes it is easy to think of the 'badge' rather than the side we're playing, and underestimate the opposition.  I still believe that Leicester's PL title win owed something to this - the best counter-attacking side in PL history seeing other clubs playing expansive football against them because 'its only Leicester'.

I don't think it is unfair to think that one day Brighton will find themselves in the third or fourth tier again, their 'natural' home.  But they are currently an extremely well-run club with an excellent manager and players.

Their ability on the ball in comparison to ours first half was very evident. Enciso ran the game first half as well.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Their ability on the ball in comparison to ours first half was very evident. Enciso ran the game first half as well.

Completely agree.  Enciso was an irritating little shite, but an extremely talented one with it.  After our first five mins of fluster, I thought they took control.  I actually think it is to our credit (Howe and the players) that we swung the momentum back in our favour.  But BHAFC are no mugs.

We had about 10 minutes in the second half where we pushed Bruno up to be an 8, and it was truly tragic, we looked so turgid the moment we did it, we really struggle to progress the ball which makes a lot of sense given we were missing 3 of our best progressors from deep. 

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Completely agree, for me they’ve been the only team that been able to cut through at will during the games we’ve played them. Very good team, very good manager.

As long as the same  Brighton turn up for their last 2 home games against Chelsea and man u then we've still gotta chance of Europe

The fuckers best not roll over because they played like their lives depended on that draw yesterday

10 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Completely agree, for me they’ve been the only team that been able to cut through at will during the games we’ve played them. Very good team, very good manager.

They're an excellent side - and I agreed with your comment the other day; that in the highly unlikely circumstances that Howe leaves, De Zerbi would be one of my first port of calls

Posted (edited)

A very frustrating scrappy stop-start game, which was exactly how Brighton wanted it.

That first goal was a bit of a killer for us, but either way we never really found our rhythm, or were allowed to. So it all felt a bit flat.

All in all, it's not a disaster - 6th is still in our hands with one last push. Looking forward to Wednesday now - we could all but guarantee it there, what with Chelsea playing Brighton the same night.

Edited by Abacus

Brighton played it perfectly as the away team and the ref let them get away with every delay tactic going.

Sadly, I think I'm done defending Almiron. 

While a new right winger is required, we don't have a problem with creativity. 

That said, we do lack players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Hopefully more minutes for Hall and Tonali next season will help.

11 hours ago, janpawel said:

What did he say? 

St James is the best stadium in the PL league [emoji38] Loved it here as a player

25 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Billy Gilmour was excellent for them.

Another Chelsea academy player.

I thought he came through at rangers and Chelsea just signed him at 17 or something

Might be wrong like

9 hours ago, Beth said:

Well if we quailfy for the 7th place cup lets see who arrives in the summer.

I don’t really take your point on this to be honest. Diaby was one of the most sought after young players in Europe last season and Aston Villa managed to sign him despite only being in the Conference League. 

Younger players will more often than not sign for the journey rather than the destination, and you’d like to think there’ll be gentlemen’s agreements in place that if we haven’t qualified for the Champions League in 2/3 years you’re allowed to seek a transfer.

I’m not saying we’d be as attractive as Villa next season, but how often is it a straight shootout between two clubs for one player? We’ve been quite clear about the type of player we will target and I don’t believe the Conference League will deter them signing at all. 

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

I thought he came through at rangers and Chelsea just signed him at 17 or something

Might be wrong like

He was picked up by Chelsea before he signed a professional contract so technically he is classed as an academy player, although it is a credit to their scouting rather than the development they put in to him.

Was in Platinum Club yesterday so got a free programme, not read one for years. Just been flicking through it there and there’s a bit where it lists the companies who have boxes. One of the names is “Mr and Mrs Ashley”. I had heard rumours that Ashley’s mam and dad wanted to keep their box but that confirms it.