Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United (15/05/24) | Reaction: pg 53

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm with Baldwards.

Yeah, look how many goals we've conceded away from home. Four at Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal. Three at Man U, Chelsea, Brighton, Everton just off the top if my head. 

We are not yet in the position whereby we can demand a result at Old Trafford with an injury ravaged squad. 

What a frustrating game and result. A spirited performance and plenty of attacking intent but glaring chances missed and gifting 3 goals more or less to Man U.

I can't knock the attitude of the players and the coaching has been great but ultimately the limitations of our squad players (who have been our XI for pretty much the whole season) have been perfectly demonstrated. Longstaff, Anderson (young), Krafth, Dubravka, Murphy are not players that we really want near the starting XI if we are going to progress.

That and a poor performance from Trippier. 

I believe and hope we can beat Brentford which would be a good way to end the season on a high in 7th and respectable given all that's happened. Fail to win and we don't deserve any sort of Europe. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

If you're pointing your finger at individuals then of course, Trippier for goals one and two then Dubs for goal three... but Longstaff not putting that gilt-edged chance away was just as bad. Isak not great also but in fairness to Amrabat it was a great recovery. But anyone with a bit of guile arrows that Longstaff effort into the bottom corner. Again just so bloody frustrating. 

You can say its great recovery, but also easily exploitable if Isak had a calm head.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

If you're pointing your finger at individuals then of course, Trippier for goals one and two then Dubs for goal three... but Longstaff not putting that gilt-edged chance away was just as bad. Isak not great also but in fairness to Amrabat it was a great recovery. But anyone with a bit of guile arrows that Longstaff effort into the bottom corner. Again just so bloody frustrating. 

Imo if you’ve scored two goals away from home then the forwards have done their job. Always going to be hard if your defence makes sure you have to score three just to get a point.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Beren said:

Harsh to say, but Trippier has repeatedly sabotaged Newcastle this season :lol:

I wanted the Bayern money at the time, and thought Tino and Krafth could see us through the rest of the way. The slight worry being whether Tino and Krafth would stay fit.

Ironically, Trippier ended up injured most of the time anyway, and has been horrendous defensively when he's played.

Don't trust him as a starter going forward at all.

Really annoyed me today as well that he took Gordon off set pieces, as his were nowhere near as threatening.

Edited by KaKa

Posted (edited)

Isak fluffing his big chance, Longstaff boinking the ball in the head of Onananan 1v1, Gordons penalty call, Casemiros head being 3cm bigger than a normal head thus clearing the ball off the line....we win this game 9/10 times even when we're not at our best like today.

Almiron waking up 0,5 seconds late for the ball from Gordon too.

Edited by Conjo

Just now, BoSelecta said:

Well that was horrible. Another shite Man Utd performance where they pick up the W. We were so poor; Hall & Gordon the only bright lights. 

Don't think they were shite at all mind. Casemiro and Amrabat tag-teamed very well off the ball, Diallo was tricky and Fernando's obviously quality. 

Man Utd are a total basket case but it's very vogue to go OTT on how shite they actually are, just because they pale in comparison to Ferguson's sides. 

Tripps, longstaff and kraft were championship at best tonight.

Too many chances squandered and far too loose in midfield on transitions.

Really dissapointing apart from Gordon, who made wan bissaka look very ordinary.

Rapidly coming to the conclusion that the best chance of being in Europe in 25/26 is by missing out in 24/25. Howe inherited an awful squad and unfortunately, for mainly injury reasons, too many of that squad are playing way too often. It's not a management issue - it's an ability issue throughout the squad. You can only work with the raw materials you've got and we still have so many substandard players in that squad that maintaing progress is always going to be virtually impossible.

You simply can't expect to name Longstaff, Almiron, Dubravka, Murphy, Krafth etc so often without them producing their average levels of performance. It's going to take a few more transfer windows until we get the squad into the shape it needs to be in. They're trying their best but their effort alone just isn't good enough, their ability just isn't there and never will be. Time to be ruthless and cut them free 3 or 4 at a time per window. They're millstones

I wonder how many goals we have conceded that a top class keeper would have saved. Not just that, sloppiness here and there and good in spells. Too little quality in midfield was a major problem. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm with Baldwards.

Yes and no. Yet again, we struggle to build anything from the back and almost rely solely on turnovers to spring an attack or a second ball from a long hump/switch of play.

Just slow, ponderous passing across the back 4-5 all the while. Hall helps a bit to progress it up the pitch. But other than Bruno. Nobody else can pass it from deep. 

Then when we get it in the final third. We go to pieces. Over or under hitting simple passes. Having 4 of our players to pick out from a cut back. But managing to find a red shirt. Rush of blood finishes. It then feels like we’re even more desperate and snatching at stuff even more because of all the previous shite that’s preceded it. 

It’s understandable up to a point with the players we have on the pitch. Most are not good enough to consistently perform at this level. 

But even when everyone is fit. I still think there is a massive lack of technical quality in this team and only a handful of players comfortable on the ball. It really shows in tight games. 

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Imo if you’ve scored two goals away from home then the forwards have done their job. Always going to be hard if your defence makes sure you have to score three just to get a point.

Fair comment. Still, he should bury it. 

Can't really complain, we never really looked as good as them in too many positions. Not that they were particularly good, just we had too many pretenders on the pitch who bottled it when push came to shove.

Longstaff didn't contest a single duel tonight. Don't think I've ever seen that before. 

For context Joelinton came on and competed in 11 (winning 7).

Just now, Smal said:

Longstaff didn't contest a single duel tonight. Don't think I've ever seen that before. 

Longstaff is never close to midfielders when they start interplaying it in midfield against us.  He’s always a yard behind.

Trippier woeful for first. Not learning from first corner or 2nd, then Diallo scores. Lettuce wrists for 3rd.

Just can’t expect results when we are tossing away goals to poor sides that easily. Scored 2 away and were wasteful, yet didn’t even get a point. Mad how many we’ve conceded this season.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Fairly standard for him isn’t it? Really do wish him well, love for him to have his Joselu career somewhere else.

Just now, Sima said:

Longstaff is never close to midfielders when they start interplaying it in midfield against us.  He’s always a yard behind.

I'm generally a big defender of his and I still think he gets way too much flack, but he's had a poor season. I'm hoping it's down to his injury affecting him physically. At least he's been available.