Giorgi Mamardashvili

Jack27

37 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Think that's really harsh on Pope.

If he could kick a football he'd be one of the very best on the planet.

Good goalie but after a second serious shoulder injury it’s too risky not sign another elite keeper plus he’s 32 so only going to decline.

Mamardashvili signing and Pope leaving means Dubs staying presumably? And that's not something I want to think about again next season. Lessons should have been learned from the past 6 months.

17 minutes ago, Slim said:

Should be able to get at least 15 - 20 million for Pope?

How? We paid £10m for him and he's two years older now with a suspect shoulder.

20 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

You don't spend £40m on a backup right back, except we did.

You don't spent £35m on a backup left back, except we did.

We've proven we're happy to spend big on the right player even if it's with one eye towards the future.

One eye towards the future? He's an established top class keeper for gods sake. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Mamardashvili signing and Pope leaving means Dubs staying presumably? And that's not something I want to think about again next season. Lessons should have been learned from the past 6 months.

Where’s the talk of Pope going coming from? Would have thought Dubravka and Karius out leaving Mamardashvili and Pope with Gillespie as third choice?

Edited by SAK

If we were to sign this guy, I can see him starting as our cup keeper the first season while we Howe beds him in. Obviously with a view to replace Pope later in the season or next season as our first choice. 

Just now, Nobody said:

If we were to sign this guy, I can see him starting as our cup keeper the first season while we Howe beds him in. Obviously with a view to replace Pope later in the season or next season as our first choice. 

Zero chance he’s coming to warm the bench. Numero uno baby.

1 minute ago, SAK said:

Where’s the talk of Pope going coming from? Would have thought Dubravka and Karius out leaving Mamardashvili and Pope with Gillespie as third choice?

@Shadow Puppets has said the Pope camp are half expecting it.

42 minutes ago, Beth said:

One eye towards the future? He's an established top class keeper for gods sake. 

He's also young and is clearly being signed with a view to how good he could be.

Appreciate you're allergic to the concept of things ever getting better though 

33 minutes ago, SAK said:

Not up on forum ITK’s, has Shadow Puppets got form?

Yeah, I’m sure he wouldn’t claim to know loads, but he’ll know people that know people…

10 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

He's also young and is clearly being signed with a view to how good he could be.

Appreciate you're allergic to the concept of things ever getting better though 

He's already proven at a high level, he doesn't need to sit on the bench for a year as understudy to Pope when he could walk into most teams straight away.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's already proven at a high level, he doesn't need to sit on the bench for a year as understudy to Pope when he could walk into most teams straight away.

Agreed, I'm not saying that though am I? 

Coming in to compete against your incumbent doesn't mean sitting on the bench for a year. 

Posted (edited)

Sign Big Mama. Tell him look at Onana’s first season, so we want to ease him in on cups and Euro Confetti games. Pope takes the league. Simples. 

Edited by greydos
Onana

20 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Get the fuck out of here. :lol: 

We paid £10m and he’s since fucked his shoulder again since then. £5m-£7m would be expected fee back for him. Basically net return.

People definitely overestimate players' values on here or more particularly underestimate how important age is to setting value. 

No matter how good a player is once they're hitting 31/32 they rarely go for any kind of money because 1. By the end of their next contract their value is nil 2. older players have the highest wages. PSR has only made this far more acute than it was 5 years ago.

There's no way at 32 with a recent shoulder injury behind him you make a profit on what we paid for Pope.

The only thing that changes this market reality is if you get a Saudi club operating entirely outside the need for resale value in any signings they make.

If I were Pope I'd be waiting to see what happens with Pickford. Seen a few rumours this could be the Summer he makes a big move. Seen Chelsea mentioned. Pope to Everton would make a lot of sense in that scenario. 

32 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

32 isn't old for a goalkeeper.

But it is though. Dubravka is 35 and he's dropped off a cliff. How many number one keepers in the PL are older than that? Lloris got fucked off from Spurs in his mid 30s and had been shite for a couple of seasons before that. The days of your Shiltons and Buffons playing at the top level till they got to 40 are gone.

De Gea is 33 but no one seems to want him either, even on a free.

34 minutes ago, Beth said:

But it is though. Dubravka is 35 and he's dropped off a cliff. How many number one keepers in the PL are older than that? Lloris got fucked off from Spurs in his mid 30s and had been shite for a couple of seasons before that. The days of your Shiltons and Buffons playing at the top level till they got to 40 are gone.

De Gea is 33 but no one seems to want him either, even on a free.

Lloris literally played as the spurs captain until he was 39.