James Trafford

Just now, gbandit said:

What’s his ability like with his feet? Both distribution but also receiving under pressure?

Poor from what I've seen. None of the Burnley keepers acquitted themselves particularly well on that front

Posted (edited)

Bit of a unique idea, sign Trafford, loan him back out to Burnley for the season, sign their other keeper on loan for the season as number 2 to Pope.

We sign a top prospect, he gets a year of first team football near the top of the Championship but we still have a half decent backup for Pope next season. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Posted (edited)

This just has Howe's name all over it.

Personally, not a fan from what very little I have seen but we do need a solid second choice keeper as Pope being fucked half of last year had us conceding goals left right and center. Always happy to be proven wrong by steady Eddie.

Edited by Amir_9

12 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Don't get it 😕

Exactly we have one goalkeeper already, don't need more. 

Obviously assuming dubravka does want to go for anyone unaware of sarcasm 

Never seen him play so can't comment on his ability but it's obviously a relief that we're looking to upgrade Dubravka. 

Feel like Burnley shouldn't have that strong a hand in negotiations here so would seem likely we'll get him if we really want him. 

Do wonder if this was really Plan A, mind you. Seems doubtful. 

Posted (edited)

He had a rough season last year, but he looked decent in the under 21 tournament won by England.

21 is nothing for a keeper, so I imagine he won't kick off about being number two for a while either.

I'm at a stage where I'm relaxed about our transfer business, we rarely miss. Plus the meltdown from the Twitter lot who'd got their hopes about an expensive foreign import who they've never watched is always amusing.

It whiffs of us buying in the dip again.

Edited by The Prophet

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What’s his ability like with his feet? Both distribution but also receiving under pressure?

Upgrade on Pope kicking a ball, but Pope massive knock him out on almost every other parts.

3 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Never been impressed with him when i’ve seen him however i thought the same of Gordon and had egg all over my face. 

Said similar, but hard to judge young keepers in cannon fodder teams. Pickford at Sunderland, Ramsdale at Bournemouth when they went down. Probably the two best English keepers at the minute.

Think it was @ponsaelius who made the great point though that a year on the bench probably isn't the best development for a keeper.

His ceiling is probably going to be around the England number 1 shirt in 3-5 years though, I'd have preferred someone else who'd come in and hit the ground running and take over from Pope straight away, but I think this will be a good one for us.

Whilst he had a bit of a rough first PL season, there's clearly bags of potential there and at 21 he's got years to fulfil it.

£16m or thereabouts to me feels like a clever investment; Pope will be more than good enough for the next few years and if you've got this lad pushing him, developing, learning you may then have your PL keeper for god knows how many more years. If he doesn't quite make it, he's English and in and around that international setup, you probably get a fair chunk of the fee back.

Pope - Trafford - Gillespie - U21 keeper is better than Pope - Dubravka - Karius - Gillespie for sure IMO.

Just now, Kimbo said:

Not many teams have a 2nd choice keeper this expensive.

Chelsea's 3rd choice is like £70m to be fair ha

Looked good at the under 21's, and seemed to marshal the defence well,if we can get him for under £20m I think it will be a smart signing. I am sure in a better side he will look good.

Had a poor season, but he's so young. Loan him out for a few years and he'll come back good and ready.

Think this will turn out to be a really clever piece of business if he ends up signing.

Just now, Ikon said:

Young, potential, good with his feet. Imo too flappy and weak but in a few years that might change. 

This is the biggest concern for me. Seen the same with Darlow, Woodman, Meslier. They are all over the place with crosses and dont command in the box.