James Trafford

I agree, the only issue or question mark is that it’s clearly a signing that matches our long term strategy of buying young prospects who are going to be class. However, we need a second goalkeeper who can play if Pope gets injured and we don’t need a 21-year old keeper on the bench week in week out so what’s the plan? Sign him, loan him out and then loan in a back up GK? It’s not ideal but if that’s the plan I can understand it 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I agree, the only issue or question mark is that it’s clearly a signing that matches our long term strategy of buying young prospects who are going to be class. However, we need a second goalkeeper who can play if Pope gets injured and we don’t need a 21-year old keeper on the bench week in week out so what’s the plan? Sign him, loan him out and then loan in a back up GK? It’s not ideal but if that’s the plan I can understand it 

Young as he is, he has big game/tournament experience. My guess is, as long as he looks good in training/performs well on the various goalkeeping exercises they routinely perform, then he will play if Pope is injured and may be used in cups.

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He'll be on the bench this coming season with the odd game. His work will be done heavily behind the scenes with Pope taking a role in mentoring him I'd imagine. He'll get games, but barring injuries I doubt it'll be double figures.

Season after is where he needs to transition into the no1 spot and really fight Pope. Hopefully more games for him with a return to Europe as well. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Young as he is, he has big game/tournament experience. My guess is, as long as he looks good in training/performs well on the various goalkeeping exercises they routinely perform, then he will play if Pope is injured and may be used in cups.

Fair chance that's less than 5 games this season.

Pope missed 9 league games total in the 3 seasons prior to last season.

The Spanish press are suggesting we're publicly pursuing this lad so Valencia drop their asking price for Mamardashvili. Doubt it'd get this advanced if that was the case though.

Edited by The Prophet

13 minutes ago, gbandit said:

A complete guess but perhaps the pitch to him was to come and develop his game here for a season whilst being back up, knowing there’s a decent chance he’ll be No.1 if Pope’s shoulder goes again. If all is ok with Pope then he takes over as soon as he’s more effective?

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like him.

But I feel like there's lots of lads out there that can be good backups available for less than £10m. Martinez, Fabianski, Kelleher, Ortega type deals.

I think we're not just after a backup though.

If they feel this guy can be a long term top tier keeper and take over from Pope eventually, then they likely think it's worth going for him now, and at the current price, because it will reap huge dividends.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like him.

But I feel like there's lots of lads out there that can be good backups available for less than £10m. Martinez, Fabianski, Kelleher, Ortega type deals.

How many of those would you be happy with being your number 1 in a few years time?

With Pope's shoulder and Karius off as well, I wonder if we're after two keepers, including Trafford as one for the longer term. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like him.

This screams of a Livramento or Hall type deal, where someone has become available that we think has vast potential and we want to pounce now and get someone who has the potential to become a £50m keeper in 3/4 years time.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like him.

Thought it came out the other day Liverpool want £20m for Kelleher

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

This screams of a Livramento or Hall type deal, where someone has become available that we think has vast potential and we want to pounce now and get someone who has the potential to become a £50m keeper in 3/4 years time.

You can rotate and sub at FB and we were in Europe - so more opportunities for games.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think we're not just after a backup though.

If they feel this guy can be a long term top tier keeper and take over from Pope eventually, then they likely think it's worth going for him now, and at the current price, because it will reap huge dividends.

That makes sense. But you would figure he would be loaned out if that's the case. My issue is if we have the budget for that and to improve key first team positions.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

How many of those would you be happy with being your number 1 in a few years time?

All the players I named are solid to great first-team options.

But that also points to something. It's fairly rare for clubs to sign a GK to become #1 that actually stays at the club as a #2 first. GKs need to play. Courtois went on loan until he was ready to start for Chelsea. De Gea went straight into the team and had to learn on the job. VDS had a #2. Cech had a #2.

If we are planning on selling Pope then fair enough (I don't like it though - Pope is better than Trafford this season). But to keep both of them at the club doesn't make sense to me. Elite clubs have v. good backups at backup prices. Or future stars out on loan. Not transition strategies.

I get Trafford coming in, then being loaned out where we can recall him. I get Trafford coming in and Pope sold. Trafford coming in to sit on the bench for a year - I don't get.

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Thought it came out the other day Liverpool want £20m for Kelleher

Yeh i'm talking about his transfer to Liverpool. He was bought as back-up for a back-up price. Through injuries his value has skyrocketed. Samer as Ortega, Martinez, Lunin. IMO that's the back-up goalie blueprint.

Personally I hope we pay extra and get Georgian Mama instead. Very young but already very strong and commanding with leadership qualities even if not as good with his feet. If not him then I’d rather see us loan a backup keeper for now and put that money towards another CM on top of the other priority targets. A keeper with a presence gives a calmness to the rest of the team defensively. 

Trafford looks like he needs to work on his strength and presence more than anything, and so think he can do with a year or two of focusing on that and playing in some cup games, or when Pope is injured. 

As he's so young still in goal keeping terms especially, I don't think that sets him back.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Trafford looks like he needs to work on his strength and presence more than anything, and so think he can do with a year or two of focusing on that and playing in some cup games, or when Pope is injured. 

As he's so young still in goal keeping terms especially, I don't think that sets him back.

Won't he get more of that actually playing competitive games.

GK is a funny position. Emi Martinez has a commanding and strong personality. I don't think he played 100 pro games until his late 20's.

7 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Loaned out with an option to recall if Pope does his shoulder seems to cover all bases pretty well. 

Even if he had a recall clause we wouldn't be able to register him until the next window opened I think?

So if we loan him out and Pope's shoulder goes the day after the registration window closes we couldn't play him until January. 

Similar to Anderson, his loan at Bristol had technically finished but he couldn't play for us last game of the season because he wasn't on our list until the start of the next season.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

GK is a funny position. Emi Martinez has a commanding and strong personality. I don't think he played 100 pro games until his late 20's.

It’s a good question, and I’m not sure;  it probably depends on character/psychology is what springs to mind. It might be that with the right mindset and self belief,  a keeper/player can put in the same kind of performance in front of one man and his dog as he can in front of the watching millions. There comes a point where he would have to prove that, but step one is being the best on the training ground. If/when he is he’ll get his chance. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He actually looks like he could do with some strength work off of the pitch, at least initially.

It's a weird one though. As important as experience playing is, it can also go the other way, if a player is kept out there, when they could do with some seasoning outside of that weekly pressure of starting games.

How about getting him AND Mama - £50m dropped, sure, but sorts out the GK position for 10 years

Trafford can go out on loan, Mama and Pope to stay

Same was done with RB (Trippier, Livramento, possibly Ashby)

LB - Targett, Hall (Kelly, Burn as back up)

5 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

How about getting him AND Mama - £50m dropped, sure, but sorts out the GK position for 10 years

Trafford can go out on loan, Mama and Pope to stay

Same was done with RB (Trippier, Livramento, possibly Ashby)

LB - Targett, Hall (Kelly, Burn as back up)

No chance Trafford’s gonna want to sign for us if we’re simultaneously dropping £35m on another keeper.