James Trafford

Remember when we got pope plenty were banging on that he wasn't any better than Dubravka. And how wrong were yous then. I can't see trafford been as piss poor as Dubravka is now mind so that's a lie saying he's no better. 

Posted (edited)

Every signing we’ve made since the takeover plenty of people on here have pissed and moaned about how the player was not good enough / too expensive / surplus to requirements in that position etc

And so far the only one that didn’t do it on the pitch was Chris Wood, but he served a purpose, weakened Burnley and was moved on to Forest for a decent fee toot suite

Conclusion:

Lots of people on here actually know fuck all and the transfer team at NUFC know loads 

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Every signing we’ve made since the takeover plenty of people on here have pissed and moaned about how the player was not good enough / too expensive / surplus to requirements in that position etc

And so far the only one that didn’t do it on the pitch was Chris Wood, but he served a purpose, weakened Burnley and was moved on to Forest for a decent fee toot suite

Conclusion:

Lots of people on here actually know fuck all and the transfer team at NUFC know loads 

Genuine question.

Is this just the norm or is this a Newcastle thing?

It's so awful man. Just relentless.

26 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Conclusion:

:indi:

As much as I love him I wanted an upgrade on Pope but if PSR limits us to this and he stays #1 for another season it's whatever.

The only really push back on a signing has been Gordon IMO, and once he passed the eye test it should have ended. Folks losing their shit because he hit the post against Southampton (?) was embarrassing.

He was hung out to dry the way Burnley played last season - Kompany gave him zero protection.  You cannot judge him from that - he's highly rated. 

9 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Conclusion:

I agree, though I’d add the permanent signing of Targett to that list (and hopefully Tonali is a hit on his return, though there is still a chance he becomes one of - if not the - worst signings in the club’s history.  Though of course hopefully he has many glorious seasons here).  But to paraphrase Brian Clough, a successful transfer policy is to get more right than you get wrong.  Our hit rate has been well above that.

I’m all for signing good young players, so if the lad comes in this is good news.  I’d also be perfectly fine if we bring in two new keepers, and Pope and Dubravka leave.  I really like Pope, but his injuries are a concern, and there are of course better out there.  Dubravka cost us European football last season as far as I’m concerned. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree, though I’d add the permanent signing of Targett to that list (and hopefully Tonali is a hit on his return, though there is still a chance he becomes one of - if not the - worst signings in the club’s history.  Though of course hopefully he has many glorious seasons here).  But to paraphrase Brian Clough, a successful transfer policy is to get more right than you get wrong.  Our hit rate has been well above that.

I thought Targett was good on loan, a solid full back who did his job well. Since signing it’s the injuries that have scuppered him, not his ability 

And we’ve been so unlucky with injuries that I don’t think we can include that in our assessment of our signings. We haven’t taken risks signing someone with an injury history that looks like Wilson’s for example 

Tonali situation was unprecedented, based on how it played out I don’t think it can be held against the transfer team as a poor player assessment, but am sure that they’ll have learnt to dig even deeper into a players personal situations when sussing out potential targets 

Agree that no club will get all their signings right but if most are right that’s great success  

Edited by bobbydazzla

I wonder if Chelsea signing Tosin ahead of us meant we went for Trafford over the Georgian guy as he's cheaper and we now need to reallocate some funds to buy a CB.

To me the signing makes a lot of sense as do most of our transfers. The only one I still don't really get is Barnes.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

I thought Targett was good on loan, a solid full back who did his job well. Since signing it’s the injuries that have scuppered him, not his ability 

And we’ve been so unlucky with injuries that I don’t think we can include that in our assessment of our signings. We haven’t taken risks signing someone with an injury history that looks like Wilson’s for example 

Tonali situation was unprecedented, based on how it played out I don’t think it can be held against the transfer team as a poor player assessment, but am sure that they’ll have learnt to dig even deeper into a players personal situations when sussing out potential targets 

Agree that no club will get all their signings right but if most are right that’s great success  

Aye, I agree - I thought Targett was an excellent loan signing.  Permanent doesn’t seem to have worked out.

Not necessarily meaning that Tonali was the transfer teams fault, but if Tonali was to ask for a transfer request next season he’d comfortably be one of our worst ever signings.  Not saying he will, of course.  But he’s very much an ‘undecided’.

Our track record since Jan 2022 is excellent, tbh. 

1 hour ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I wonder if Chelsea signing Tosin ahead of us meant we went for Trafford over the Georgian guy as he's cheaper and we now need to reallocate some funds to buy a CB.

To me the signing makes a lot of sense as do most of our transfers. The only one I still don't really get is Barnes.

I think the Trafford transfer will go ahead, seeing the two club's valuations are not far apart.

I know what you mean about Barnes. He operates in the same position as Gordon, so really we were paying a large sum for a squad player - albeit a good one.

Last season was very stop-start for Barnes. Maybe he'll be more consistently effective next season.

1 hour ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Really? We sold ASM and needed a productive left-winger to replace him which is exactly what we got

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Really? We sold ASM and needed a productive left-winger to replace him which is exactly what we got

Gordon, Joelinton, Willock and even Anderson could play there with only minor changes to the established system. Even with ASM leaving it seemed the position we were strongest in.

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I still think he was signed to be number 1 but Gordon's trajectory from the Euro 21s and how he started the season earned the spot. 

14 hours ago, KaKa said:

Genuine question.

Is this just the norm or is this a Newcastle thing?

It's so awful man. Just relentless.

It's every club. Ten Hag wanted to sign Arnautovic as a backup striker last year and we bailed on the deal because of fan backlash. 

Reality is, we could have done with him. He now has a Serie A winners medal. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's every club. Ten Hag wanted to sign Arnautovic as a backup striker last year and we bailed on the deal because of fan backlash. 

Reality is, we could have done with him. He now has a Serie A winners medal. :lol:

Eh? Who made that decision?

18 hours ago, Funtime Frankie said:

Hall as well, he will be in the team in less than a year based on current improvement trajectory 

Based on competition I think Hall will be in within a few months. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Aye, I agree - I thought Targett was an excellent loan signing.  Permanent doesn’t seem to have worked out.

Not necessarily meaning that Tonali was the transfer teams fault, but if Tonali was to ask for a transfer request next season he’d comfortably be one of our worst ever signings.  Not saying he will, of course.  But he’s very much an ‘undecided’.

Our track record since Jan 2022 is excellent, tbh. 

Yep, I'm feeling genuinely optimistic about him now, but some people go waaay over the top in their confidence in him. I've heard one or two talk about him as being captain material - he's so far away from that at this stage in his career with us.