Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm broadly with you but if we were dropping £49m on DCL I'd raise an eyebrow. :lol:

Anything up to 30 I'd say cos he isn't prolific, has fitness doubts and his contract is on the wane. Much beyond that and I'm wondering what the scouting network is getting paid for...

You can have all the scouting network in the world but if the manager wants PL experience it’s worthless.

Edited by Whitley mag

Well I'd include the manager in that to some extent. 

Moot point anyway imo. We'll only be looking at DCL cos we can get a good deal. 

PL experience is something absolutely worth having when it comes to lads who can put it in the net, like.

I reckon it’s another opportunistic move - they’re obviously in an unenviable state and don’t have loads of sellable talent. I’ve no idea what represents value anymore in football so can’t comment on fees, but I repeat earlier comments made about the difficulty of finding a good striker happy to play second fiddle in a predominantly 1 striker team. Anyone we talk to knows Isak is The Guy.

5 hours ago, TRon said:

Absolutely no problem with DCL coming here, and I'm assuming it will be for a decent price, not the laughable £37m which Evertona allegedly had the cheek to put forward. Think he will work out a lot better than people are assuming, he was a hot property a couple of years ago prior to his injuries.

Howe would work wonders with him

4 hours ago, Abacus said:

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance.

All in one thread, it's the FFP way.

I think it goes to show just how much faith we as fans have in Howe

Can't wait to drop significant money on DCL who'll spend half the season injured and then be gaslighted by the club claiming hindsight & bad luck. 😂 

I like DCL as a player. Happy to take him next season on a free, and think we'd get more out of him than wilson, but if we're proper skint, this is a move which will hold us back in the same way Tonali & Barnes has, but at least you can state luck and hindsight there. 

I do find it odd, that after one of our worst seasons for injury on record that we're potentially gambling on players with suspect fitness records. Kelly, you can argue the toss with no transfer fee involved, but we've held  talks about DCL and even Olise. 

I guess the idea is that a bigger squad means that these players can be rotated. DCL's aerial ability allows us to mix it up and go route one if required. Hopefully that makes him less susceptible to injury.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I do find it odd, that after one of our worst seasons for injury on record that we're potentially gambling on players with suspect fitness records. Kelly, you can argue the toss with no transfer fee involved, but we've held  talks about DCL and even Olise. 

I guess the idea is that a bigger squad means that these players can be rotated. DCL's aerial ability allows us to mix it up and go route one if required. Hopefully that makes him less susceptible to injury.

I agree on paper some of these players look like a “risk” but potential transfer targets are poured over and analysed endlessly in terms of whether they’re the right fit (potential role, character, injuries etc). The club has done pretty well so far so I feel pretty comfortable with whoever they’re aiming for currently. That doesn’t mean to say people can’t have an opinion on whether a potential signing is good or bad. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Probably also worth bearing in mind that both this and the Minteh fee could be inflated for the obvious reason. Not that it'll prevent a Twitter meltdown like.

This is exactly what it is and it’s quite obvious to see it. Feeling sorry for everyone else having a meltdown over a FFP workaround.

13 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Mark Douglas reporting in the Independent this morning this Everton want £37m - and that we value Minteh at £40m

I'd be amazed if we get anything over 15 million for him

24 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Mark Douglas reporting in the Independent this morning this Everton want £37m - and that we value Minteh at £40m

So for any FFP/PSR experts... would that still benefit us, even though the fees are (allegedly) close, that we get £40m for Minteh, but then the way it all works the outlay on DCL is spread so not simply a 'like for like' transfer/fee, in reality?

Out of £40m for Minteh (if we got anywhere near that), what are we potentially left with, taking account of his original fee, time left / ammortisation on current deal, etc?

Edited by TK-421