Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

I just like having competent people on board. Sort the Academy and get moving with the infrastructure projects and we’re light years ahead of where we were in October 2021 off the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Mikky said:

It’s more to do with having a structure and people in places that are competent in what they do - Mitchell is another welcome addition to this ever growing list - all clubs that have ambition must get this part right as well as things on the pitch - generally these go hand in hand 

Agreed fully.

But i'm seein threads on X of his signings and I'm wondering - how much is down to him?

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed fully.

But i'm seein threads on X of his signings and I'm wondering - how much is down to him?

Do you have any reason to believe he wasn't really involved much?

Hasn't he climbed the corporate ladder in football because of his good work as a scout?  Surely he would be implementing processes and strategies within the department he heads up, would have a say over who is scouting for the club, sign-off on players etc.  

The Contrarian Deadbeat looking for a negative slant yet again.  I for one am shocked. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Do you have any reason to believe he wasn't really involved much?

I know he's involved - I just don't know the extent.

I know he's been Head Scout - so I assume he's more involved in talent identification than Dan Ashworth has been. And clearly has a good way of working on that.

But what about making transfers, contract renewals?

My point is not specific to Paul but the actual Sporting Director role.

He's highly regarded, I'm happy we've got him in. I'm just not sure what is reasonable to expect from him.

Edited by The College Dropout

Some people just like being miserable I guess :lol: we’ve managed to get a much sought after guy. Man Utd wanted him for their head of recruitment. It’s well reported he’s done good work every where he is went. Just enjoy a key position being filled by someone that is by all accounts very good. 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Some people just like being miserable I guess :lol: we’ve managed to get a much sought after guy. Man Utd wanted him for their head of recruitment. It’s well reported he’s done good work every where he is went. Just enjoy a key position being filled by someone that is by all accounts very good. 

Have the club made errors though? That's the unanswered question here.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I know he's involved - I just don't know the extent.

I know he's been Head Scout - so I assume he's more involved in talent identification than Dan Ashworth has been. 

I don't know either, just seems like he's been head-hunted by some pretty big clubs and has enough of a reputation to get the biggest including Man U trying to get him onboard. Then you look at the players who have been signed under his watch, and they look pretty impressive. Tbh, that's enough for me. How much more exact detail is the average Joe going to know anyway? People get paid a lot of money to identify that stuff at the club.

Whether in the actual talent spotting side or the recruitment side, it matters not... its like we've used FM and filted 20s across the board and got the closest thing to a perfect appointment as we could have got.

Our recruitment operation will be ran with not just credible people but, by all accounts, incredible people and we can only benefit. Good times.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't know either, just seems like he's been head-hunted by some pretty big clubs and has enough of a reputation to get the biggest including Man U trying to get him onboard. Then you look at the players who have been signed under his watch, and they look pretty impressive. Tbh, that's enough for me. How much more exact detail is the average Joe going to know anyway? People get paid a lot of money to identify that stuff at the club.

Agreed. Like Andy mentioned - I just can't get excited because I don't know what I should expect.

Paul is highly rated. Everyone wants him. We've got him, great.

I just don't know what to expect from him vs Ashworth or even Nickson.

Like I've no real idea of what Ashworth did. I know he did transfer negotiations and contract renewals. He seemed to largely own contract renewals and signings were a wider effort. When they didn't play there was rumours some signings were more Ashworth signings than Howe but nobody knows how true that is. I assumed youth transfers were down to Ashworth and the scouting teams.

Edited by The College Dropout

Pre-takeover, we had Thumbheed doing everything, or nothing much at all which is more likely. We now have top class appointments all over the shop, this is another of them. I choose to think about what he can bring to us in the future, not what he may or may not have done at previous clubs. We're a well run club with a cracking infrastructure these days. Looking forward to this summer window more and more.

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Pre-takeover, we had Thumbheed doing everything, or nothing much at all which is more likely. We now have top class appointments all over the shop, this is another of them. I choose to think about what he can bring to us in the future, not what he may or may not have done at previous clubs. We're a well run club with a cracking infrastructure these days. Looking forward to this summer window more and more.

I've said this before but with every corporate hire we make (and I understand Mitchell is really just filling the Ashworth void) the more I think how the f**k were we even remotely functional as a business with Charnley doing the roles of Staveley, Jamie Reuben, Eales, Silverstone, the finance guy from Leicester, Ashworth/Mitchell??

I always thought he was a useless arse-licker, and maybe he was, but christ he was doing the jobs of about half a dozen executives...

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed fully.

He’ll have his team and stats available to him - players he’s had on his list - players who he’s watched - players like Steve Nickson may have watched - then it’s a case of sitting round the table and seeing what the value of player X is - does he fit our profile? What’s his ceiling? Cost?

He’d have the final say with Nickson working with him to advise 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Paul is highly rated. Everyone wants him. We've got him, great.

Isn’t that enough to get excited and want to see what he can do?

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I've said this before but with every corporate hire we make (and I understand Mitchell is really just filling the Ashworth void) the more I think how the f**k were we even remotely functional as a business with Charnley doing the roles of Staveley, Jamie Reuben, Eales, Silverstone, the finance guy from Leicester, Ashworth/Mitchell??

I always thought he was a useless arse-licker, and maybe he was, but christ he was doing the jobs of about half a dozen executives...

While this is true a lot of the work wasn’t getting done. Like no one was out looking for sponsorship deals for example

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Isn’t that enough to get excited and want to see what he can do?

Happy yes. Excited? I don't know what I'm supposed to be excited for. We've consistently signed good players since the takeover and those lads are still there. I'm not sure what Paul is going to do differently.

Put it like this. Ancelotti, Klopp, Conte. All top tier managers. Getting one of them in is a sign your club is serious about challenging. But as a fan, you also know what to expect from them all. What might be different from previous managers. With the SD role, we don't know very much.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Happy yes. Excited? I don't know what I'm supposed to be excited for. We've consistently signed good players since the takeover and those lads are still there. I'm not sure what Paul is going to do differently.

Put it like this. Ancelotti, Klopp, Conte. All top tier managers. Getting one of them in is a sign your club is serious about challenging. But as a fan, you also know what to expect from them all. What might be different from previous managers. With the SD role, we don't know very much.

I think the reaction to his appointment from clubs he's been associated with, plus his track record allied to a general trust with the decision-makers at the club is enough generally to expect his role and influence to be a huge positive.

18 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

In a nutshell, I just don't think we were at all. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I did mainly nothing much at all

Edited by Thumbheed