Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

TBF Asworth has been part of a rebuild that has put us on a good footing, we are at the stage now where we need to add 2 or 3 class players and then maybe replace any that leave, Mitchell doesn't need to do anything major, just improve on what we already have.

Posted (edited)

INteresting how he handles the transfer market.

At the moment with our revenues, we can't maintain adding players who cost £14m with amortisation and wages (like Tonali and Isak). And while revenues are tight signing players like Barnes at peak value, also doesn't make much sense. I do think we need more players whose value could double.

And we also need to be good sellers. There's a couple in the squad who were/are ripe to be sold and we need to get maximum fees for those.

Likewise with wages. We'll have to decide who should get massive wages and who should be sold while they are still underpaid (and more attractive to other clubs).

He has to align with commercial obviously. If our revenues rapidly increase - it's a different job entirely.

Edited by The College Dropout

Think Ashworth was probably exactly what we needed at the time. Ashley left an empty husk of a club, the void filled only by Bruce and Charnley and the ever-present squelching of bacon sandwiches being munched and farts slipping out greasily.

Ashworth came from a well-run club and will have basically told us how a well-run club operates and set things up for us.

Now he's gone we've got another very highly rated guy who focuses more on the recruitment side, which is exactly what we wanted seemingly.

We heard about Freedman and Spors - Freedman was more recruitment focused, Spors was more operationally focused and had experience of Europe and multi-club model. We've got a guy who's basically both. Now let's hope he can still spot a bargain.

We obviously didn't want to lose Ashworth and I find it strange people want to diminish what he does, I get there is tribalism at play but no need for us to become absurd about it

However, he wanted to leave, keeping was obviously not an option and I think from that moment we've actually come out of it really well. Some conflicting reports about the money but we absolutely got paid for him and we've brought in someone that's well respected

Overall we've come out of the situation well but not going to sit here and claim Ashworth was shite and had no value 

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Chief among those is finally building a new state-of-the-art training complex because, although £10million has been invested in their facility in Benton, it is still nowhere near elite standard.

Potential sites for a new training ground were identified two years ago and yet Newcastle appear no closer to purchasing a plot, never mind requesting planning permission and actually starting the building work.

Painfully slow, get it built Paul. Brick by brick

I still feel Ashworth did a completely different job/role at Brighton and probably here than Paul Mitchell will do regardless of title. Never felt Ashworth was the one spotting or suggesting players.

14 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I still feel Ashworth did a completely different job/role at Brighton and probably here than Paul Mitchell will do regardless of title. Never felt Ashworth was the one spotting or suggesting players.

One of the major disappointments of Ashworth’s time was how poor our medical department seemed to be. How hard is it to hire competent doctors and physios. 

Do we have a technical director or is that the other role we were looking at alongside sporting director to replace Slippy Dan?

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Isn't it pretty much accepted knowlege that Minteh and Harrison at least were signed on the behest of Ashworth?

Can someone Photoshop that Eastenders picture of Phil Mitchell bogwashing Ian Beale with Big Paul Mitchell and Weasely Dan’s boats on.

IMG_5849.thumb.webp.d4e0d86483165a022c21b431b8ec07f5.webp

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Doesnt he say when meeting Gordon I’ve been tracking you for a long time or similar and think said something along those lines to Livramento too. So who knows

58 minutes ago, gdm said:

Doesnt he say when meeting Gordon I’ve been tracking you for a long time or similar and think said something along those lines to Livramento too. So who knows

Remember EH saying that to Gordon. Don’t recall DA speaking about either player. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

Isn't it pretty much accepted knowlege that Minteh and Harrison at least were signed on the behest of Ashworth?

Not by me it isn’t. Would imagine they’d both been scouted by us.

9 minutes ago, greydos said:

All this talk of it being hard to judge the impact of a sporting director, who knows what they do etc, it doesn’t apply to Paul Mitchell.  There’s a simple success criterion upon which we can all judge him. He either brings us Danny Olmo and he’s a roaring success. Or he doesn’t and he’s failed. It’s black and white. No room for nuance in football, it should be lovingly nurtured at home. 

Only one way we for going for him, see muck spreading re Wor Anthony,   and I’m not into it. 

12 minutes ago, greydos said:

All this talk of it being hard to judge the impact of a sporting director, who knows what they do etc, it doesn’t apply to Paul Mitchell.  There’s a simple success criterion upon which we can all judge him. He either brings us Danny Olmo and he’s a roaring success. Or he doesn’t and he’s failed. It’s black and white. No room for nuance in football, it should be lovingly nurtured at home. 

It's been turned into an artform on here!

3 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Can someone Photoshop that Eastenders picture of Phil Mitchell bogwashing Ian Beale with Big Paul Mitchell and Weasely Dan’s boats on.

IMG_5849.thumb.webp.d4e0d86483165a022c21b431b8ec07f5.webp

City & Guilds Level 1 and 2 in Desk Top Publishing - North Tyneside Brass Tacks 1992 -1994 :thup:

dd.jpg

43 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

City & Guilds Level 1 and 2 in Desk Top Publishing - North Tyneside Brass Tacks 1992 -1994 :thup:

dd.jpg

Hang it in the Louvre.

27 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Looks like we've played a blinder here. If you have time watch it through the future seems that much brighter 🙂

It's already been posted but yes. :thup:

1 hour ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Looks like we've played a blinder here. If you have time watch it through the future seems that much brighter 🙂

I can't help but feel he is an upgrade on Ashworth and will be transformational for the club.

1 hour ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Watched that the other day, exciting really.