Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's been in the job five minutes. He'll be on watching breif for the time being.

Doesn't have to have been in the job to know good CB's/ RW's - we all could have scouted Marc Guehi as an option.

Edited by duo

1 hour ago, duo said:

Doesn't have to have been in the job to know good CB's/ RW's - we all could have scouted Marc Guehi as an option.

Like Howe has said, he has the final say on targets and there’s only 2/3 players in the positions we need that we’re interested in. 

24 minutes ago, J7 said:

Like Howe has said, he has the final say on targets and there’s only 2/3 players in the positions we need that we’re interested in. 

Find it amazing that in this global scouting world they decide there’s only a couple of players for CB & RW they think are viable and will improve us. When you think about the technology, amount of data / footage that can be amassed these days from any league in the world, I actually find it quite scandalous that they decide they decide only Marc Guehi is capable of bribing big improvements to us. 

Just now, timnufc22 said:

Find it amazing that in this global scouting world they decide there’s only a couple of players for CB & RW they think are viable and will improve us. When you think about the technology, amount of data / footage that can be amassed these days from any league in the world, I actually find it quite scandalous that they decide they decide only Marc Guehi is capable of bribing big improvements to us. 

It's more that we're incredibly risk adverse. Due to PSR we obviously feel that we have to get every transfer as close as you can to a guaranteed success.

2 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Share same concerns where to risk adverse and obsessed with PL experience, hopefully Mitchell can influence this going forward.

1 hour ago, nufcnick said:

Not likely, pay way too much in January 

Not with some players a few months away from being able to walk away for nowt. If we can get agents ears early I'm sure we'll be able to sound out a decent player or two for very little, assuming there's any that we fancy. I reckon clubs will be happy to sell with every penny counting more than ever.

30 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's more that we're incredibly risk adverse. Due to PSR we obviously feel that we have to get every transfer as close as you can to a guaranteed success.

I get that and rightly so they’re wary of PSR and I think it’s right to shop for PL proven if possible. But the manager, directors & scouts are paid to narrow down all the footage & data of other players in the world in order to make the determination that x player has very high chance of PL adaption. We know there’s players out there who can come in, adapt to the PL and be a quality CB (and developed further) because that’s exactly what will happen at one other PL club during the next few transfers. 

24 minutes ago, cannybagoftudor said:

2 or 3 players identified for RCB and RW - errr why the inertia and focus on Gueli whose club wants to sell at an astronomically high price - I don't understand the methodology of a highly respected recruiter. :dontknow:

Purely based on comments from Howe on the osula transfer its his team before Mitchell joined targets.

This is me reaching now but it may have been the compromise and assurance that Howe wanted from back at Germany. Mitchell taking a back seat rightly or wrongly is what I think has happened rather than his little black book of contacts suddenly drying up. It's a big gamble we are taking as a club to ultimately be happy with our lot which could ultimately cost someone there job. Do I think everyone is trying? Yes. Do I think they believe only a handful of players match the profile of improving first team, doesn't smash wage structure, isn't a cunt and is happy not currently being in Europe? Yes I do. 

Do I think we have flogged a dead horse for at least 2 weeks too long? Yes also true but you only have to hope the plan/gamble pays off. 

Taking it this close to the wire and appearing at least publicly to have all our eggs in one basket may make the club look very foolish.