Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

Just now, Pata said:

Without the pen that wasn’t a pen, xG was roughly 0.50 vs 0.50 in a match that was tied for the most part. Standards are really low when that performance gets massive praise, both teams represented the big nations in this tournament really well. :lol:

I mean I don't hate xg like some, but that's not really telling the whole story is it? Both teams hit the post, Saka goal offside, Foden chance cleared off the line.

It wasn't a classic but both teams went for it and played quite well 

Ground out a win against a tough, but workman like Dutch side. 👍 This England team aren’t easy on the eye, but there seems to be guts and determination.

Super touch and finish by Watkins. 👍

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Think their defenders can be got at, and so anything can happen. Don't trust Cucurella and Carvajal.

Also don't see those wing wizards of theirs running as wild against you lot. You're more accustomed to going against that kind of wing play in the Premier league.

Anything can happen but I’m going to be putting some money on Spain based on the early odds. It’s not only the wingers, they also have Olmo and Ruiz in the inside and feel like it’s just too much to handle for this England.

The ease of how Spain turned the game around against France, the champions of boring bus parkers was really impressive.

I thought the pen was fair enough. The defender was making a challenge for the ball, rather than blocking the shot. He was just late.

The goal wasn’t really an England-type goal, it was the type of goal you see at the back end of major tournaments, David Trezeguet comes to mind

7 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I mean I don't hate xg like some, but that's not really telling the whole story is it? Both teams hit the post, Saka goal offside, Foden chance cleared off the line.

It wasn't a classic but both teams went for it and played quite well 

Saka chance doesn’t count but neither team created much which xg shows perfectly. You had some good long range efforts but they are not really chances, just individual quality.

First half was a much better watch than I expected but second half was really boring, can’t even remember any attacks from you outside the goal and the offside goal by Saka.

Edited by Pata

Just now, Pata said:

Saka chance doesn’t count but neither team created much which xg shows perfectly. You had some good long range efforts but they are not really chances, just individual quality.

First half was a much better watch than I expected but second half was really boring, can’t even remember any attacks from you outside the goal and offside goal by Saka.

You're dying a small hill here against all these English fans on here.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

I thought the pen was fair enough. The defender was making a challenge for the ball, rather than blocking the shot. He was just late.

If that's given on a regular basis, we might as well just give up.

Just now, El Prontonise said:

You're dying a small hill here against all these English fans on here.  :lol:

I know, I already decided to leave 45 minutes ago until the final. :lol:

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

He came near beating the goals in a season record in his first season with Bayern. He’s been shit in the tournament, but Jesus Christ.

His form did drop off mind as the season went on.  He's past his peak but not this shite.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

First half was a much better watch than I expected but second half was really boring, can’t even remember any attacks from you outside the goal and the offside goal by Saka.

Fair enough, I obviously watched it with a lot more tension, felt quite open to me

Just now, The Prophet said:

No more challenging for the ball defenders, also keep your arms behind your backs

Got the goals at pretty much perfect times tonight, equalised quickly and left it late to kill them off. Superb finish from Watkins but the game was getting a little stretched and that extra bit of pace and quality won it for us. Thought we were the better team for most of the game, they had flashes and breaks here and there but I thought we looked in control for the most part.

We've been dreadful for most of the tournament but we find ourselves in the Final and we're the underdog now, nothing to lose and every person expects Spain to win it. It's just a game of football and they'll be beatable on the day itself, they've got weaknesses but this England team have shifted through a couple of gears in the last couple of games, it's been brutal to watch but there were signs of it clicking tonight. We've got a puncher's chance on Sunday 

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

Anything can happen but I’m going to be putting some money on Spain based on the early odds. It’s not only the wingers, they also have Olmo and Ruiz in the inside and feel like it’s just too much to handle for this England.

The ease of how Spain turned the game around against France, the champions of boring bus parkers was really impressive.

It's going to be interesting for sure, but I could see your defence keeping them out.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

That was the problem with it, technically fouls but they are never given when the attacker gets the shot away unless it’s a red card foul like Romero last season. I don’t think anyone in this thread was asking for a pen which tells a lot. :lol:

I'm beating a well-worn drum here, so apologies if it's repetitive, but Southgate's most impactful and impressive contribution to the national team has massively come to the fore this tournament: the cultural change. Credit to the players too, of course, but fostering an England camp that actually wants to die for each other remains its biggest strength and the manager is central to that.

We're a 'moments' team, arguably because we lack the tactical aptitude or boldness to create a team that blows others away. But the moments thing can only work when someone like Watkins can come on - without getting a sniff all tournament - and be in a fit state to win the semi for us in injury time. See Toney's contribution against Slovakia; Trent's pen against Switzerland; Mainoo coming in from the cold and owning the position. 

This is why it's unfair to say we've progressed in spite of Southgate. You've only got to look at the failures in eras gone by to dismiss that claim; failures accountable - to some extent - to broken camps who weren't in a fit state to go the distance.

I get why people don't like him, but he's been a revelation for the national team. I don't see how you can say otherwise.