Marc Guehi

gdm

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fab heading stats a lot closer to my previous perception of him as fairly poor in the air for CB. 

I don’t love those Guehi stats I’ll be so honest. 

Deffo don’t love them as a pair.  I don’t feel like you can play Hall alongside them this season.  

The problem I have with these stats is a lot of this data includes the period of time under Hodgson.

How would Schar's numbers under Bruce look compared to his numbers under Howe for example?

Regarding the aerial duels, it would be interesting to know how that is measured. For instance some defenders are really good at staying tight and putting their body on the attacker when they both go up and so if they don't win the ball outright in the air it completely throws off the attacker and unbalances them, resulting in a poor header. Can it account for that sort of challenge?

Oddly enough, looking at the fbref numbers for aerials, and it has Konsa's aerial duels to be significantly worse than Guehi's.

It’s a delicate situation. Palace would on the face of it, not need to sell. They’ve just pocketed £60m for Olise. They have other saleable assets in Eze and Wharton so they know they’ve got that income at some point in the next year or two. Maybe they just wait it out.

Liverpool, the previous front runners now seemingly aren’t interested and I can’t think of any other top 6 club that needs a cb. So who is this competition Luke says may hijack our bid. A foreign team? Bayern? He’s interested by all accounts. It’s just about selling him the project and speed. Time for Mitchell to prove his reputation. 

Edited by Joelinton7

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

Surely if we sign this lad he'll be a starter. So does that mean schar benched when botman is back and ready. 

I'd imagine so - no need for heavy rotation of a back four without European football, although Schar's age means he wont be playing out of his skin 40+ games a season in the near future. 

This is mega exciting, and probably the most exciting link we've had as it seems to have came in "warm" and nobody whispering about it beforehand. Trying my best to not get my hopes up.

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

It’s a delicate situation. Palace would on the face of it, not need to sell. They’ve just pocketed £60m for Olise. They have other saleable assets in Eze and Wharton so they know they’ve got that income at some point in the next year or two. Maybe they just wait it out. Their hand will be forced if no one else matches our bid.

Liverpool, the previous front runners now seemingly aren’t interested and I can’t think of any other top 6 club that needs a cb. So who is this competition Luke says may hijack our bid. A foreign team? Bayern? He’s interested by all accounts. It’s just about selling him the project and speed. Time for Mitchell to prove his reputation. 

If we are buying a top quality RW/RF player, just can’t see us forking out more than £50m. Appreciate this loud internal ‘nah’ is based on fuck all real knowledge of the accounts, but there you go. 

6 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

By the time the Chronicle publish their article the price is going to be £100m

And by the time you've read said article with all its adverts and flashy things, the price will be 200 million.

8 minutes ago, andycap said:

Surely if we sign this lad he'll be a starter. So does that mean schar benched when botman is back and ready. 

I wouldn’t worry, Botman won’t be ready until next year. We also need a long term Schar replacement.

11 minutes ago, Collage said:

Hall-Guehi-Botman-Tino is a back 4 for years to come

Will also over take Andrew Mohammed Smith as the most common name in England soon if Labour has it's way!!

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I wouldn’t worry, Botman won’t be ready until next year. We also need a long term Schar replacement.

Aye, I reckon Schar moves to LCB with Burn cover until Botman is back. Kelly and Hall for LB. 

1 minute ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Not being cynical but I'm not optimistic on this I expect it to be highjacked by some wanker cartel club

We are a wanker cartel club now. 

As much as I would love this to go through I will not let myself get carried away. 

nah, refresh every 5 min and super exited. Can’t wait for the let down when he stays as palace.

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Doesn't really matter who we are linked with the usual suspects will find a negative spin to put on it. 

I’m usually positive when it comes to our signings. Take for example the Sheffield United lad. All for it.

Can only speak as I find and the few times I’ve watched him he’s never stood out and on occasions looked shaky.

So with that in mind I’d rather buy cheaper/younger and develop for a year then start them back end of season.

You've got to put injuries to one side as he’s not coming as back up so therefore I’m left thinking we “might” be paying £60-70m and be weaker then we were last two seasons when you compare pairings and our style of play. Appreciate it’s a squad game but this year of all seasons that amount of depth might be premature.

This is why you can see the club tried to get Tosin deal done. The numbers will be radically different for players of not too dissimilar ability. The demands on the manger starting them also radically different.

Anyway won’t comment further as still seems a lot to do before confirmed and even then the price might hopefully be nearer £35-45.

17 minutes ago, andycap said:

I imagine so. Schar should be transitioning into a valuable backup role by then. He's getting up there in age after all.

If we're back in Europe next season there'll be plenty of time to go around. If Schar looks strong this season still, will likely get a short term extension.

Ornstein usually releases fairly concrete info. If we’ve made an approach the then it’s likely the player has indicated he’s interested. Doesn’t mean he’ll sign re wages, transfer fee etc but it’s very encouraging. 

28 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

It’s a delicate situation. Palace would on the face of it, not need to sell. They’ve just pocketed £60m for Olise. They have other saleable assets in Eze and Wharton so they know they’ve got that income at some point in the next year or two. Maybe they just wait it out.

Guehi has not signed a new contract, so they have to sell soon. 

51 minutes ago, Convict said:

I prefer footballers to be able to contribute on the pitch and give us a chance to win something. Could not give a flying f*ck what they will be worth in a few years time. 

The only value worth worrying about is what they produce for the team.

While I would love us to be able to operate like this, as long as FFP/PSR rules are in place, unfortunately we just can't operate this way. Otherwise we would have kept Minteh and Anderson and just signed who the fuck we liked.

Don't rate him as highly as most. Feel like he was getting over hyped in the euros. England didn't have to do much defending and whenever we did, they conceded quite easily.

Never noticed him be particularly stand out in the prem, especially in games at St.James'. 

Obviously wouldn't bemoan the signing but after the usual premier league, English Tax added in. We seem to shop in a market that is not getting maximum value more often than not.