Marc Guehi

gdm

15 minutes ago, Ellis H said:

Over the last 2 seasons Murphy has 17 attacking returns in the equivalent of 27 games in the league. He’s not the solution but he’s far from a problem.

Do you think he's CL standard?

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No idea. Probably not. From their size and what I've seen of them - I thought Schar, Guehi (and Konsa) weren't the best in the air at winning defensive duels. So this just supports what i observed.

I thought Schar had improved in that aspect, he is aggressive in general including the air. And maybe he has but it didn't take this to show me that he's not an aerially dominant CB. Likewise for Guehi.

For a big lad - I don't even think Botman is THAT good in the air. Lascelles is the best at the club in the air and arguably our worst CB - so maybe it's not that important but for £60m I need some standout attributes.

The other stats are troubling for Guehi too. It's not obvious what he's meant to be really good at. Schar you can see his ball progression via passing and dribbles are among the highest in the stats. That is the Schar USP. What's the Guehi USP? From what I've seen it's pace and comfort on the ball under pressure. Need a bit more than that for £60m imo.

I think you are underestimating how well he brings the ball out from the back and how good his passing range is.

I also think he will be better suited to a pressing game, as he likes to engage aggressively early.

Let's see. I think it's a great signing personally. Especially at 24 years of age.

He’s looked a little slow when I’ve seen him up here, he’s a huge unit, one of those players when you see them in the flesh you think fuck me he’s way bigger than I thought. There’s definitely potential for further improvement. 

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

No, but I think he’s going under the radar a bit in terms of how handy he’s been for us. He’ll be a good backup option for whoever comes in.

This is where Mitchell earns his money and reputation. That’s why I think it’ll get done. 

also we’ve been crying out for an upgrade for a right winger for years so I wouldn’t be happy if this means there’s no RW. 

Love Guehi me.

Think I first really noticed him in 1-0 home where Miggy stuck that one in top corner. Was probably his composure on the ball that stood out. 

Reckon he’s the kind of player that Eddie just improves and improves. So no qualms from me about paying top dollar for him.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think you are underestimating how well he brings the ball out from the back and how good his passing range is.

I also think he will be better suited to a pressing game, as he likes to engage aggressively early.

Let's see. I think it's a great signing personally. Especially at 24 years of age.

im skeptical of advanced statistical analyses of defenders. Too dependent on club style of play etc. Eye test much more important imo

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

im skeptical of advanced statistical analyses of defenders. Too dependent on club style of play etc. Eye test much more important imo

Yeah, I agree. Have to at least take both into account.

Ornstein clearly have a good source at Palace, he was the one to have the exlusives on Olise also.

Hopefully the deal is further than people think and not that they’re just using us to get a better deal.

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Agree with your second point.  

If he was so great at passing and carrying the ball - it would be more evident in the stats imo. 

Again eye test. He looks super comfortable on the ball. Good under the pressure and looks like he could be encouraged to bring it out more. But Anderson always looked the progressive passer. 

Edited by The College Dropout

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If he was so great at passing and carrying the ball - it would be more evident in the stats imo. 

Again eye test. He looks super comfortable on the ball. Good under the pressure and looks like he could be encouraged to bring it out more. But Anderson always looked the progressive passer. 

87.2% passing accuracy last year. Was in the 95% range for England right before the Euros. At least according to the BBC.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

42 minutes ago, TRon said:

He’s average at best in terms of premier league players.

Defo good enough for lower half.

He wouldn’t get into any top eight team (barring us)

We need to aim higher , ideal for early cup games , or impact sub at home 

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He is no slouch passing the ball.

These are his full passing numbers from last year:

chrome_screenshot_2Aug202418_55_19BST.thumb.png.fe9ac9c76d53f0632891574b50f60715.png

Edited by KaKa

43 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Are we in the CL this season like?

Do you think you get in the CL with players who aren't CL standard then?

Just now, TRon said:

Certainly possible. Given they won’t be playing against the best in Europe in order to qualify. And let’s face it, ‘the best in Europe’ varies widely and wildly. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

We have done it without already though.

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Certainly possible. Given they won’t be playing against the best in Europe in order to qualify. And let’s face it, ‘the best in Europe’ varies widely and wildly. 

But we'll be playing against the best in the PL, and to qualify for CL we'd have to go head to head with Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea et al. That's not to say it's impossible, but obviously the more CL standard players you have, the better chances of qualifying.