Marc Guehi

gdm

Top signing if you ask me... Premier league ready, seems to get better year on year and is still quite young so that eddie moulds him into a world beater.

A top right winger and we walk into the top four!

People talk a lot about money and what we migh or might not have left to finally buy that RW which itself is understandable to some degree tbh. 

Having said that, there aren’t even that many top top quality “expensive” ones available that we could attract or afford wage wise. Especially not in the age category say 20-24 where we most likely are looking at. At least I struggle to come up with many options. I think IF (even if it was unlikely) we had got Olise then we never would have even asked CP regarding MG. We would have gone for a cheaper one for CB. But maybe, just maybe we now have the opportunity sign someone like Guehi then he’ll yeah go for it. We’ll still have money available for a RW I’m sure, but I very much doubt we will be spending 50-70m on one as there aren’t really any options. We can still find a very good RW that might not be “Olise level” in quality and potential but still improve us. Then next summer go for THE RW whoever that might be. The one we most likely sign for this season can then be backup unless he performs ridiculously well and over expectations. 

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Gan on Rod.

Quite frankly, I'm not even sure who I'm arguing against or what subject for that matter.  I only know that in all of my years supporting Newcastle, I have never seen such a well run club.  What this new regime have accomplished is second to none.  Fans (cough) that come on here slagging our team, management and coaches boil my piss.  The latest negative regarding our PSR carry on just underlines how some people just want to moan.  Get behind the team and the team will flourish.

People seem to forget the key reason we got 4th was we had one of the best back lines in the PL - GK + back 4 were absolutely brilliant. I'd love to go back to being able to win 1-0 a shit ton of times. 

6 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I'll be disappointed if Rod isn't actually the aging badass biker with a Zulu war moustache sideburn combo I picture in my head.

Daft shite.  I'm bald and 67 years of age.

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

People talk a lot about money and what we migh or might not have left to finally buy that RW which itself is understandable to some degree tbh. 

Having said that, there aren’t even that many top top quality “expensive” ones available that we could attract or afford wage wise. Especially not in the age category say 20-24 where we most likely are looking at. At least I struggle to come up with many options. I think IF (even if it was unlikely) we had got Olise then we never would have even asked CP regarding MG. We would have gone for a cheaper one for CB. But maybe, just maybe we now have the opportunity sign someone like Guehi then he’ll yeah go for it. We’ll still have money available for a RW I’m sure, but I very much doubt we will be spending 50-70m on one as there aren’t really any options. We can still find a very good RW that might not be “Olise level” in quality and potential but still improve us. Then next summer go for THE RW whoever that might be. The one we most likely sign for this season can then be backup unless he performs ridiculously well and over expectations. 

That's fine, but not getting any RW would be criminal.

We went into last summer convinced we'd upgrade Almiron and we didn't, we can't afford to do that again this season.

Joking aside, I'm not sure Guehi is worth £60 million, but at this point I'm tired of talking about budgets and PSR. It'd be an exciting signing that potentially sorts our defence out for a considerable amount of time.

I hope we're equally as ambitious looking at the RW. Throwing our hat in the ring for Olise suggests we will be.

I'll worry about the PSR hangover later. At that point anyone who wants to can say "I told you so".

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

That's fine, but not getting any RW would be criminal.

We went into last summer convinced we'd upgrade Almiron and we didn't, we can't afford to do that again this season.

I agree, I think we will finally get a new one in. I’m just sure if THE One is available right now. 

31 minutes ago, KaKa said:

At this point I've said and shown all I need to.

If and when he comes in we'll see. Same deal with Lloyd Kelly, who you are convinced is squad filler.

Just a matter of time now.

I don’t even have an opinion on Kelly. I assumed he was going to compete with Hall at LB and offer a similar profile to Burn but with pace. But I don’t know much about him, not looked him up tremendously. 

14 minutes ago, buzza said:

Top signing if you ask me... Premier league ready, seems to get better year on year and is still quite young so that eddie moulds him into a world beater.

A top right winger and we walk into the top four!

Would be a statement signing for me - top talent

3 hours ago, Shak said:

You're so close to scoring a huge win here man, keep the pressure on for an answer and then rub it in his face.

That's what this is all about.

I just find it strange any part of our forward line gets so universally criticised so heavily when we’ve just broken the clubs top flight record for goals scored in any of our lifetimes.

Yes there will be better players available that might get better numbers but meanwhile let’s have a bit perspective about their achievements under EH.

I know he's not even signed yet but presuming it all goes to plan -

End of the day the only thing that matters is Howe's blessing. His assessment of the squads weaknesses and needs is unquestionably better informed than anyone on this board's is. If he's taken a look and decided to prioritize CB over RW (though I think he's under no illusions about our RW situation) I will back him on that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edited by thomas

2 minutes ago, thomas said:

I know he's not even signed yet but presuming it all goes to plan -

End of the day the only thing that matters is Howe's blessing. His assessment of the squads weaknesses and needs is unquestionably better informed than anyone on this board's is. If he's taken a look and decided to prioritize CB over RW (though I think he's under no illusions about our RW situation) I will back him on that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

tbh we didn't have an issue last season scoring goals but we did struggle to keep a clean sheet

A player like Guehi can very easily with a drop of a shoulder or agile turn take out a pressing attacker or two and burst forward. This would result in our other players having more time on the ball as well as us managing to get out of a deep and pressed situations better once we’ve regained possession. Normally when we are in these situations we sort of struggle to get out without losing the ball easily straight away. Schar for example is very good on the ball and can make runs forward, but that’s mostly into open spaces where he is at his best. Guehi has a bit more press resistance and can get out of difficult right situations more easily by drawing players to him which frees up space for others. Composed, quick, agile. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I’m sitting here watching Guehi’s England press conference from the Euros. What the fuck is wrong with me.. 

big name signing withdrawal. Gets us all eventually. 

6 minutes ago, vexred said:

I feel like he'll end up at Liverpool and we'll end up with Gomez. 

One of my favourite things on here is the random as fuck feelings people get :lol: mental