Marc Guehi

gdm

I'm sure TCD is a sound lad and I have no problem with any poster expressing their opinion, but I completely get the irrition of every thread being hijacked by the same tedious nonsense, repeated over and over and over. As someone who was hoping to use the forum for a bit of escapism, its entirely to its detriment.

Agreed, I realise there's the ignore function but I'd rather not completely ignore someone if I can help it. Some folk make it so bloody tough though :lol:

Such is life eh

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Good to mention that. He’s a level below a fully fit Konate for me. It’s awhile ago now but he was £35mish from memory.  

A lot of the fee is English and euros premium. Most of all proven in the PL. 

If we have the funds to also strengthen RW then great. 

Didn’t think Ben White was worth the  money but he’s proven a top player (at RB).  

Yeah, that's fair, but he wasn't even a regular starter back then. He only started eight games in the Bundesliga that season. Upamecano and Orban were ahead of him.

So, Liverpool was basically betting on his potential since their main defenders at the time were Van Dijk and Matip when they were fit.

Konate is always injured, so Guehi starts there, even at Man U or Chelsea. The fee is about right considering he's a top 4/6 player.

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ll happily defend TCD, even while disagreeing with his assessment of Guehi.  He doesn’t half take some flak on here for doing nowt more than expressing his opinion. 

Likewise. He can sometimes prompt an eye roll from me, but I'd much prefer posts like his over someone coming in dropping a one line reply saying they think x player is shite etc without at least explaining why they may think that.

That being said I love a well thought out joke, and @Interpolic stat bomb chart for TCD is one of the funniest forum posts I've seen in ages.

4 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Yeah, that's fair, but he wasn't even a regular starter back then. He only started eight games in the Bundesliga that season. Upamecano and Orban were ahead of him.

So, Liverpool was basically betting on his potential since their main defenders at the time were Van Dijk and Matip when they were fit.

Konate is always injured, so Guehi starts there, even at Man U or Chelsea. The fee is about right considering he's a top 4/6 player.

Aye the lad can’t stay fit. I think that’s the reason for his limited appearances. Matip can’t stay fit either who I also think is class. 

I wouldn’t have Guehi ahead of a fully fit Schar-Botman partnership.  But I do think he is of comparative ability and could potentially be even better under Howe.  

Im not sure he’s better than Romero or VDV of Spurs. I prefer their profiles although Romero is rash and I like the composure of Guehi a lot. I’m perhaps under rating his leadership and composure. 

28 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ll happily defend TCD, even while disagreeing with his assessment of Guehi.  He doesn’t half take some flak on here for doing nowt more than expressing his opinion. 

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again 

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Someone does that in the UK Politics thread. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Don’t get me wrong, I can see how people can get rubbed up the wrong way.  I get a bit concerned when it starts crossing over into bullying, though - just ignore the lad if it’s a bit much. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

The Euros just capped an excellent season in the PL - he was quality last season.  Maybe an £5 - £10mil has been added on after Euros  - who knows but even at £65 mil he's worth it imo.   Everton value Branthwaite at £70+ and he is not even in the England squad.  Honestly sometimes I think there is no pleasing people.  I would be buzzing if we sign him as personally I think CB is a higher priority than RW - we never had trouble scoring last season but our defensive record was poor.

Not with Pope in goal it wasn’t.

Just now, Mahoneys Tache said:

Miniature to the monkey or miniature in proportion to the monkey? These details are important. 

Miniature compared to the size of Virgil Van Dijk’s cymbal 

If TCD and Kaka got their own forum it would get more posts per day than this place. And everyone else would get some peace [emoji38]

Can we not just have actual updates now instead of continuously spouting the same points over and over again. It's happening on a regular basis now on different threads. Got no problem having different opinions, but to then create pages and pages of going over the same point to try and justify your opinion, is just fucking tedious. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Can we not just have actual updates now instead of continuously spouting the same points over and over again. It's happening on a regular basis now on different threads. Got no problem having different opinions, but to then create pages and pages of going over the same point to try and justify your opinion, is just fucking tedious. 

Well there probably won’t be any actual updates until Monday earliest and decent chance it’s another week before either it’s done or it collapses. 

By which point this thread will have 200 pages, so sorry you’re probably doomed with this request 

“why have you just thrown your phone at a wall babe?”

”this guy on a football forum thinks a prospective transfer is less good than I do :angry:

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There are posters who are much worse. Go back to when we were losing regularly last season. He was generally positive and sanguine. At the same time, he can be a bit of a mood killer when it comes to transfers.

But Interpolic just turned Bikini Atoll to glass with that H Bomb graphic.

I like this one personally. In a dream world we get to sign an exciting CB from abroad for £40-50m, who fits the profile perfectly, and he happens to fulfill the demands of playing in the Premier League rather quickly. I think the club knows how difficult this is by now, especially in todays market. By paying that extra bit of money on Guehi, we know that we will get someone who has been performing both in the PL, and at the Euros. Someone who is proven at this level, and who is still young. We will never get the perfect player, even at this price. Sometimes you have to make some compromises, also in terms of price.

And speaking of the cartel clubs, they routinely spend that little bit of extra money when they feel like they really need that player type. They often spend more to get proven PL players aswell, even when they are not the biggest names yet.

I agree that another season of Almiron/Murphy would be pretty irritating, but so would Dan Burn at LB. The chance of Burn being a regular at LB decreases with a solid CB signing if we are more comfortable with using Kelly at LB over Burn.

Edited by Erikse

Guehi is definitely wanting to move to us, so I’m told. AG and Tripps have been in his ear on England duty, and he’s very close to AG.

Also, apparently there’s a clause that would make it significantly cheaper for us to sign him before the season starts (something to do with a sell-on clause, but I’m not sure on specifics), so if it happens, I’m imagining we’re pushing really hard to make it happen this side of Southampton.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Guehi is definitely wanting to move to us, so I’m told. AG and Tripps have been in his ear on England duty, and he’s very close to AG.

Also, apparently there’s a clause that would make it significantly cheaper for us to sign him before the season starts (something to do with a sell-on clause, but I’m not sure on specifics), so if it happens, I’m imagining we’re pushing really hard to make it happen this side of Southampton.

Ace

25 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Always said you were sound Shadow Puppets.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Always said you were sound Shadow Puppets.

😂

I’m happy to admit that I’ve not been told anything about this transfer, but I’ve asked directly about it since and that’s what I’ve been told.