Marc Guehi

gdm

We scored a ridiculous amount of goals last season though, it was conceding loads that was the problem , a centre half is a lot more likely to fix that problem than a right winger .

Just now, Geogaddi said:

We scored a ridiculous amount of goals last season though, it was conceding loads that was the problem , a centre half is a lot more likely to fix that problem than a right winger .

That was more down to the chaotic nature of how we played last season (linked to the injury crisis) at times. We won’t see games like Luton or West Ham again this season imo.

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

Not every season is the same. The defence the previous season was excellent. 

Pretty sure if we sign Guehi for 60m, we won’t get another RW this window. Yea we might be able to spend 10-20m more but these figures won’t get you a starting RW who is better than Almiron. In that case we better just continue with Almiron for one more season

44 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's only a gamble at the absolute baseline level, in the same way that literally any signing (which costs a fair whack) is a 'gamble' - because your investment choices are so crucial in this day and age. And any signing at all has the capacity to go wrong. 

But beyond that it's as low risk as you can get. You're getting proven quality that is as likely to improve and increase in value as any. 

The CB position is approaching a tipping point with Schar, Lascelles and Burn all approaching their twilight years, so I can understand the decision to invest heavily in that area. It's also a really, really important position in terms of delivering your long-term vision (more important than RW), so, if the opportunity is there, I can understand trying to grasp it from that point of view as well.

If you're worried about the expense then I'd say think of it as investing in the position rather than an individual- because Kelly goes some way to offsetting.

I get the temptation to go big on a RW but it definitely isn't as sensitive an issue imo. 

Good post, although I'm not sure I agree with CB being a more important position than RW in terms of delivering our long-term vision. We do need a CB, but I would have said the profile could have been an understudy type rather than a first team player, whereas for RW that is obviously not really the case as it is a position where we need strengthening in order to add that one thing that is missing in our forward play, which is a bit of guile and consistent goals and assists from that side of the pitch. The reason I don't see CB as as high a priority short term is that Schar at 32 to me looks good enough for a first team place for a few years yet (bad injuries notwithstanding). He seems to look after himself really well physically and his overall game is much more dependent on vision rather than pace or strength anyway, which to me means he should be able to maintain his current level well into his mid thirties. Therefore I would have expected us to invest more heavily in the RW position than the CB position. That said, I trust the club to know better than me. I had similar reservations about Gordon and that didn't turn out too shabbily.

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

Pretty sure if we sign Guehi for 60m, we won’t get another RW this window. Yea we might be able to spend 10-20m more but these figures won’t get you a starting RW who is better than Almiron. In that case we better just continue with Almiron for one more season

😂 Loan to buy is the way lad. Miggy can jog on. 

The CB v RW debate should really just agree to disagree with respect to which is the greater need now imho. Both are solid and valid arguments. 

I am of the mindset you have to solidify the back first; it’s what helped us get 4th. If Guehi can help us play a high line, win the ball back in their half and keep the opposition pinned so we’re recycling attack after attack, (with Pope sweeping) then we’re going to be ace this season assuming we stay relatively injury free or at least the main stars stay fit. 

No doubt in my mind we’ll push for our long term targets and be opportunistic, it’s about as clear as day we always seem to push decisively when those players become available to us. 

46 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I forget Louise Taylor still covers us these days, she used to be quite disliked iirc. Luke Edwards emergence must have taken the heat off her :lol:

Is she the one who asks some absolutely randomly absurd question after the other journos have had a go at Eddie's press conferences?

Just now, mosstef said:

Don't they know it's the Big 7 now?

Aye, I think from some “influencer” predictions some put is as like 7th/8th and judging that one an injury cursed last season.

They are probably dreaming of breaking that 7th/8th for an outside shot of conference league football.

6 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

If it goes through, who would you pick to partner him first game - Burn or Shar?

Trippier schar kelly burn v Southampton a reckon

Speaking as one of the leading members of the Miggy hate brigade, I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down and trust the club on this one.

We’ve an opportunity to sign one of the best young centre backs in the league who has just had a breakout performance at an international tournament. The club have - rightly IMO - decided to pull the trigger and get him, presumably because CB is more of an immediate issue due to injuries as well as the fact Guehi basically sorts our defence for the long term.

If there was an opportunity to sign someone of equivalent pedigree on right wing I’m sure there’d be a discussion, but I very much get the impression we don’t see much we like right now given the lack of solid links.

In that situation I’m not opposed to us keeping our powder dry if it gives us leeway to move for someone better in the later in this window or the next. All things considered I prefer a Sandro Tonali to a Sander Berge.

Taylor is an out and out mackem so covers any wins or success through gritted teeth. She will find any cloud and ignore any silver lining.

However as she’s openly a Sunderland supporter it’s not that annoying as you know she’s going to do it, just think of her having to write up Newcastle match reports over the past 2 seasons.