Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

seems chelsea have a matching rights clause so they get the option to buy for the accepted price before we can

Even if the player doesn’t want to go back to said basket case club?  [emoji38]

You've got to assume that the injuries to our defence have determined the priority for where we spend. Botman's return date may beat expectations but it also may not in which case we have an ageing Schar, Burn and Krafth at CB. If Botman wasn't injured we may not have invested so heavily in a new CB but its a priority to sort out the back, then bring in the RW. Maybe without the injury the priority spend would have been the other way round.  

26 minutes ago, Menace said:

Weird behaviour to be honest - I'm sure the money they're getting isn't different from a "big 6"

There was some plum on Talksport yesterday saying it was a sideways move and that Palace's squad is probably as good as ours. He then went on to say they should be aiming for top 10 this year. 

Edited by Holmesy

Totally agree we need to upgrade on Murphy and Miggy, but not sure I'd rather a RW over a centre back mind. We conceded far too many goals last season whilst scoring goals was never a problem.

Hopefully we can get both.

2 minutes ago, Adam P said:

You've got to assume that the injuries to our defence have determined the priority for where we spend. Botman's return date may beat expectations but it also may not in which case we have an ageing Schar, Burn and Krafth at CB. If Botman wasn't injured we may not have invested so heavily in a new CB but it’s a priority to sort out the back, then bring in the RW. Maybe without the injury the priority spend would have been the other way round.  

Don’t forget Kelly too. 

It’ll be 

Guehi - Schar as the right options 

botman - Kelly as the left options 

Krafth and burn as extra back up options for both. 

hall - Kelly as Lb 

livramentio - trippier (if he stays) rb 

I think that’s right order anyway

47 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Good post, although I'm not sure I agree with CB being a more important position than RW in terms of delivering our long-term vision. 

Personally I feel that if you've got the exact people you want down the spine of the team - GK-CB-CM-CF - you can mix and match around that and still retain the main facets of your team identity. We've seen Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Murphy, Joelinton, Isak, Anderson, Saint-Maximin and Livramento occupy wing positions over the last two seasons and not deviated from our general approach. Obviously the effectiveness has varied. 

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

There was some plum on Talksport yesterday saying it was a sideways move and that Palace's squad is probably as good as ours. He then went on to say they should be aiming for top 10 this year. 

We'd get similar callers from our support if this was Isak going to Arsenal or Bruno to City tbh. Perfectly normal to not want to lose your best players to clubs you'd like to see your club competing with.

7 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Urgh

Hall will start LB. He’s done to good pre season to be dropped. 

I reckon it’ll be 

hall Kelly schar livramento 

trippier for livramento if any 

EDIT - looks like I bit 🙃😂😂

Edited by Chris L

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

seems chelsea have a matching rights clause so they get the option to buy for the accepted price before we can

They would get him for 20% less due to the buyback price too. However they are well stacked at CB so can’t see it happening 

13 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Even if the player doesn’t want to go back to said basket case club?  [emoji38]

Chelsea get to have the same bid accepted, after that it would be up to the player to decide

People massively misunderstand how this matching bid works

It will be

Kelly BDB Schar Trippier

Maybe Hall ahead of Kelly

If you are expecting anything else you must have missed the team selections all of last season

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

[emoji38] Was hoping for some more bites to be honest

Was confused as you're normally a sensible poster :lol:

Just now, WilliamPS said:

It will be

Kelly BDB Schar Trippier

Maybe Hall ahead of Kelly

If you are expecting anything else you must have missed the team selections all of last season

You need your head read. 

For the first game of the season I'm expecting Hall, BDB, Schar and Tino. 

Outside chance for Tripps if Howe thinks he is ready since he's only just getting back. Like wise I expect Gordon to be on the bench for Barnes first game. 

Just to echo everyone else's sentiments.  I would be annoyed if we didn't sign a RW.  But if we look at our options right and left.  We have the below options:

Gordon, Barnes, Willock, Joelinton, Isak, Almiron, Murphy.

I would argue that is a stronger group than our current CB options of:

Kelly (injury prone), Burn (much better at CB, but mainly played LB), Schar (still quality but getting on in footballing terms), Botman (crocked until?), Lascelles (see Botman, also on his way out I guess) and Krafth (not good enough at CB). 

Guehi could well be a transformative signing in the same way Bruno and Isak have been and hopefully Tonali will be.  If he signed and we start to do as well as we all hope, he could be here for the next 8-10 years, still at the top of his game and only be early-mid 30's

I've probably changed my mind on it.  But I think a CB is more of a priority.   

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Schar scored more goals than Murphy and Miggy last season mind. Burn not far behind. It’s a glaring weakness in our side imo.

If we play Almiron/Murphy/Gordon on the right, even Tino if Trippier is RB, we will still cause havoc and score lots of goals with the way we play and other players around them.

We're one CB injury away from a nightmare situation, though. Schar, Burn, Kelly and Krafth as cover is asking a lot. Guehi improves that pool massively. 

This signing hugely improves our defence and gives us the thing that we most craved: Pace!

With a right winger we would have a first team that can really compete at the top, and also quite few on the bench who would not drop the level drastically and would give a rest to those needing it

Sorry if the point already been put better by someone else but I do worry if money is tight and offers for players going out is limited I can in a way why they would prioritise the defence, The back line a year older 2 players are going to miss a massive chunk of the season and statistically despite the limits on the right wing including a long term injury to murphy and a chunk missed by almiron we scored record numbers but shipped so many goals. I can see why a management team looking objectively could argue enhancing the back line now especially as 4 of them are out of contract by next summer to go for that rather than the wing if having to chose which to go for. 

Ideally If we did only have 60/70/80m to split the money over the 2 positions would improve the two obvious issues we need instead but I guess they know best and we know the market doesn't work in ideal scenarios 

Hopefully there is money for both and its just that it wont be massive money being spent on the other position. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve been told this is a matter of when (imminent), not if. Sounds like some of the players have been in touch with him this week and it’s the expectation that he’ll be through the door before the end of the week in time to play some part this weekend.