Marc Guehi

gdm

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Guehi didn’t play vs Switzerland. So I should hope he did outshine him. 

Regarding our strongest XI. You could well be right. But you’re conveniently ignoring the fact that Schar is coming up 33 and his contract expires at the end of the season. So are we not looking to the future, as well?

Burn isn’t young in footballing terms and neither is Lascelles. The latter is currently crocked and I think his contract is also up in 2025. Again. These players will need replacing or at least another option to compete with them. 

Botman is also out for an unspecified amount of time and will take time to get back up to speed. 

Kelly is very injury prone. 

So even ignoring the fact that I think he would play a lot of minutes. Either through necessity, rotation or because of how good he is. Then I can still see why they might be so keen on him right now.  

They may well see it as a chance to

get the CB they want for the next 5-7-10

years or whatever and possibly even future captain material. He would instantly help the squad this season. As well as being a mainstay for seasons to come. As we are clearly going to need to refresh that defence over the next year or two. 

Leave it until January or next season. Then it would leave us light at the back and also open it up to other clubs at a lower price or because of teams suddenly needing another defender. So we could well miss out. 

I suppose some fans wouldn’t care and think the price is too steep. But the club and the people that matter might think the opposite. 

Central point was really just that Guehi doesn't immediately upgrade our fit starting xi - since the immediate evidence does not suggest he is better than either schar or botman. Points well taken though a move with a long timeline in mind.

1 hour ago, STM said:

And there it is.

:laugh:

FM is massively responsible for how insufferable football fans have become over transfers targets and transfer fees.

Everyone thinks they can do better now!

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Central point was really just that Guehi doesn't immediately upgrade our fit starting xi - since the immediate evidence does not suggest he is better than either schar or botman. Points well taken though a move with a long timeline in mind.

You say that. But as always, fans are biased. I bet Palace fans would say he is better than both Botman and Schar. 

Not sure I’ve watched enough of him to form a solid opinion either way. However, I’m a massive fan of Guehi and didn’t think he’d be within our reach. He may end up getting away. But it’s why personally I’m so keen to get this one OVER THE LINE @Alan Pardew ™️

3 minutes ago, HayDen Traces said:

I dont think its the fee we've offered, its the structure of the deal. Parish doesn't want champions league clauses to activate the add-ons, he wants the money guaranteed.

Thats fair enough in my book.

We could be trying to link it to potential future England appearances too.

We're trying to buy him, after playing almost every Euros game, but arguably he wouldn't have got any time, had Maguire been fit/taken.

New manager coming in, may not pick Guehi, yet Palace will have added 'England International' premium onto the price too.

Edited by TK-421

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

A couple of people supposedly in the know on palace forum saying he doesn’t want to live up north 😂😂

Possibly true. Lush beaches, green fields and clean air ain't for everyone.

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

A couple of people supposedly in the know on palace forum saying he doesn’t want to live up north 😂😂

I'm sure the people involved from our side might have checked this out beforehand.

2 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Can you have a job playing FM all day? 

That is basically Mitchell's office job. Obviously 95% of his time is real world dealing with actual people but he will no doubt have a database of pretty much every registered player.

It would be naive to think a software/game maker could get something on these lines while actually involved professionals didn't have something more extensive and advanced

Microsoft can make you think you're flying an F-22 in a game and it's simple, but everyone knows the reality is massively different, but the absolute basics are still there

Edited by gjohnson