Marc Guehi

gdm

I hope we don't get him. It will enforce the narrative we had right after the take over that we were a rich club that would spend like Chelsea. Paying £70M could force some sales of some great players too.  We should have focused on RW and offered cash for Madueke weeks ago. He would make use better than Guehi for 24/25.  After Madueke we would have looked into a younger replacement for Schar that could take a year to get comfortable.  My guess is that we have made a final offer that is way over any reasonable value and Palace can take it or leave it.  We are trying to build like Chelsea and Man U a couple of years ago. That didn't work out for them.

22 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

I hope we don't get him. It will enforce the narrative we had right after the take over that we were a rich club that would spend like Chelsea. Paying £70M could force some sales of some great players too.  We should have focused on RW and offered cash for Madueke weeks ago. He would make use better than Guehi for 24/25.  After Madueke we would have looked into a younger replacement for Schar that could take a year to get comfortable.  My guess is that we have made a final offer that is way over any reasonable value and Palace can take it or leave it.  We are trying to build like Chelsea and Man U a couple of years ago. That didn't work out for them.

The problem with these scenarios is they assume other clubs and players will go along with it.

Madueke appears to be in Chelsea’s plans, there’s no indication Chelsea would sell or that the player would agree to come. Same with Chiesa chat, would he have agreed to join a team not in the CL? Perhaps not.

29 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Surely we won’t buy him if it’s going to force us to sell people. 

This is also literally the only signing that fits the narrative you mention there. Before now we've signed young or undervalued players almost exclusively. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, clintdempsey said:

I’d rather have Lacroix and Kulu/Elanga for example than Guehi tbh. Would even leave us some change for January. 

We seem to scout based on personality as much as footballing ability though. It may be that there are other targets out there with similar potential ability to Guehi, like Lacroix for example, but the club's interest is driven by more than that. 

Guehi is a leader and clearly a good egg too based on the way he has handled this transfer, also very popular amongst other players by all accounts. 

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

Maybe the deal is agreed in principle but Palace want their replacements lined up first before it's rubber stamped.

Will leave us knackered but would leave palace worse again if they agreed the same and then their deals fall through.

I've said this for weeks - we'll look like the biggest mugs ever if after four weeks of negotiating we don't sign him!

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

We seem to scout based on personality as much as footballing ability though. It may be that there are other targets out there with similar potential ability to Guehi, like Lacroix for example, but the club's interest is driven by more than that. 

Guehi is a leader and clearly a good egg too based on the way he has handled this transfer, also very popular amongst other players by all accounts. 

Absolutely and I understand that. Though he'd have to be Mother Theresa reincarnated and feed the children of England to make up the difference in transfer fees through personality and karma though.
If I'm not mistaken there's been loads of noise regarding Lacroix and us since the takeover so he's surely someone at least Nickson has had on his list for quite some time.

Edited by clintdempsey
Stupid spelling.

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Arguably though Andy, the team lacks edge, not good eggs.

Howe will never see it, but maybe we need a gallic shrug of a man, a disruptor, a bad boy.

The no dicks policy makes good sense -- just seems like it really keeps the candidate pool fairly low (not necessarily by virtue of the number of dicks, but because the best way to judge is through personal knowledge or reliance on somebody with personal knowledge). 

11 minutes ago, BottledDog said:

Howe will never see it, but maybe we need a gallic shrug of a man, a disruptor, a bad boy.

I don't totally disagree, but we probably need that character up front rather than in defence.

12 minutes ago, BottledDog said:

Our centre midfielder just clotheslined someone last game & the week before that we had a player sent of for a headbutt (soft).

21 minutes ago, Andy said:

👆🏻 thank god. 

Don’t understand how people aren’t getting this when asking why we haven’t signed a,b and c. Howe has mentioned it from day 1. The success so far has been built on team spirit, they aren’t deviating from that.