Marc Guehi

gdm

9 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

I struggle to accept that Marc Guehi is the only player in the entire world that would improve us that Howe would accept (and we can afford, given we have £70m to spend).

Yes, but this is.. Your big problem is Howe: excellent coach but he wants also to make the market. Michell can't work. 

Just now, Sibierski said:

Marc Guehi now has for force this move if he’s really set on it like we’ve been led to believe by sources. The ‘he’s not that guy’ is bollocks. Want a move, and it’s going away, you need to do something.

He won’t do that by all account s

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

Mings done his ACL in August and still isnt back, I think its at least April before Botmand and Jamal are back.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Mings had the same injury as them, opening day against us last season and he still isn’t back.

Yeah, I guess everyone heals at different speeds.  But I thought it was always sort of 7 months as a minimum.  But not back to anywhere near 100%, minutes managed etc.  But normally more like 9-12 months.  

I don't get the argument that Palace have made some huge blunder by not taking the money like. Parish has done exactly what you'd want your owner to do, he's kept one of his best players. 

In a summer where they've already lost Olise and Anderson, keeping their club captain even for another season is worth missing out on the money. 

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I said similar regarding what we did with Botman.  Problem is, Guehi may well have better options next year and clubs offering more money or Europe.  Also, if we have another injury crisis or if even Schar is missing for a while.  Krafth at CB is hardly ideal for a team with designs on Europe.  

No idea on when they expect Botman and Lascelles back.  But they'll take a good while to get up to speed, you would have thought?

We have Kelly too. But yeah, the situation isn't ideal.

I really hope that at some point in the future we have the opportunity to really stiff Palace as it appears they have acted pretty unreasonably although admittedly we should not have dragged our feet quite as much

Edited by ploppy43

1 minute ago, madras said:

Well they aren't leaving this windows there are still at least a window and a bit to show them we aren't stagnating 

If we miss any opportunity to improve as a squad, we will only find ourselves further behind everyone else. We have been playing catch up for 3 years, we can't afford to slip further behind by once again not making the necessary improvements to the team. 

Saying "oh we'll sign someone next window" is not a good enough reason/excuse. This was that next window, this was meant to be the transformative window where we'd go that step further. Maybe it still will be, there is time of course, but it doesn't look that way currently.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Said it a while ago i feel we are building our squad akin to the way Liverpool did. Pretty sure they had a window where they wanted VVD all window and it never happened and they waited until the next window rather than squander their money elsewhere. 

Only difference ability aside is MG and his agent seem like they have a totally different character compared to VVD’s.

It's a fair comparison, but unless I'm mistaken VVD and Allison were the last pieces of the Liverpool puzzle. We're a long way off that. 

EDIT: And they also bought Salah when they got VVD :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Collage said:

We have Kelly too. But yeah, the situation isn't ideal.

Oh aye, for sure.  I would play him there personally at the minute with Burn.  But I do think EH is wedded to this right footer at RCB, lefty on the left.  Meaning Kelly and Burn won't play together.  

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's not what stagnating means, it just means standing still. You can be standing still in 7th or 17th and doing so is going to be based on what you and the clubs around you do in the market. We've done nothing, but ultimately the point is that we have players right now that wouldn't want to stagnate in 7th and them leaving would exacerbate our situation unless we reinvested and had a 2nd phase. 

Lewis Hall will be getting far more gametime this year round, Lloyd Kelly looks like an extremely tidy deputy for Botman/Burn, Tonali is legitimately like a new signing and we get the additions of his skillset this year, Willock - injury pending - looks like he was showing signs of being a big player for us and will give us depth. Miley has one more year under his belt and Osula looks like a great 3rd option to have should Wilson inevitably breakdown. 

All of these things are counter to any argument of things standing still. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Mount went for what 70m with a year left? I reckon they get 50m for him next season no worries. 

Different situations, much more sought after position for one and the fact he was an England regular unlike Guehi. Mount was 23, Geuhi will be 25. Plus Man Utd pay over the odds for every single player they get.

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Lewis Hall will be getting far more gametime this year round, Lloyd Kelly looks like an extremely tidy deputy for Botman/Burn, Tonali is legitimately like a new signing and we get the additions of his skillset this year, Willock - injury pending - looks like he was showing signs of being a big player for us and will give us depth. Miley has one more year under his belt and Osula looks like a great 3rd option to have should Wilson inevitably breakdown. 

All of these things are counter to any argument of things standing still. 

I would argue that you're making my point for me tbh, but each to their own. 

13 minutes ago, 54 said:

I feel like as i'm getting older I just can't be arsed with negativity anymore, like objectively it'll be a poor window if we don't sign anyone, there is no disputing it, and a couple of years ago i'd probably be upset, but right now, I really just don't have the energy in me to care that much about it. Like realistically we still have owners who want us to improve, the club will still be here in 5 years, with a likely new set of players, and the world will keep on spinning, with this transfer window having been forgotten. So i'm just sat here reading all the angry posts being very "Meh, whatever, these things happen".

Is it just me like that?

I agree myself, I won't let it annoy me too much yet. It all depends on the season. But I also don't like the whole going out of your way to defend something that clearly has been a bad performance.

We don't make high bids for Guehi if we don't have money to spend, and even if we were bidding with money that we didn't really have to spend, we could've used that same money that we actually used for our bids into bidding on other alternatives anyways. We don't need evidence or 100% confirmed inside info to acknowledge this, it's just common sense. The whole "we don't know what's going on" argument is automatically being used whenever something doesn't go well, regardsless of what info we have available.

Edited by Erikse

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah, I guess everyone heals at different speeds.  But I thought it was always sort of 7 months as a minimum.  But not back to anywhere near 100%, minutes managed etc.  But normally more like 9-12 months.  

Yeah ACLs are dodgy, it used to be a year out minimum, then it was 6 to 7 months, but all the guys that did it last year have been out ages. Timber was a year, Beundia, Mings etc.

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

I feel like as i'm getting older I just can't be arsed with negativity anymore, like objectively it'll be a poor window if we don't sign anyone, there is no disputing it, and a couple of years ago i'd probably be upset, but right now, I really just don't have the energy in me to care that much about it. Like realistically we still have owners who want us to improve, the club will still be here in 5 years, with a likely new set of players, and the world will keep on spinning, with this transfer window having been forgotten. So i'm just sat here reading all the angry posts being very "Meh, whatever, these things happen".

Is it just me like that?

Absolutely agree. The point is whether we want to progress, not if we ever make a mistake. 

I expect us to have a significantly better season than last year. Sure, it won't be because of transfer activity (and it could have been better) but I still expect it to be in the top 3 seasons for the last 15+ years. 

Hopefully once the new regime is bedded in we'll see much smarter transfer dealing again. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Wonder if Mitchell has offered alternatives to Eddie, but Eddie has dug his heels in and knocked back those suggestions. 

Not sure how that’s going to work in the future, like. Could be seeing some butting of heads in future transfer windows between the two.

I know they’ve apparently talked things out when they returned from Germany, but I’m still not sure everything is as rosy as they’re making it out to be.