Marc Guehi

gdm

12 minutes ago, 54 said:

I feel like as i'm getting older I just can't be arsed with negativity anymore, like objectively it'll be a poor window if we don't sign anyone, there is no disputing it, and a couple of years ago i'd probably be upset, but right now, I really just don't have the energy in me to care that much about it. Like realistically we still have owners who want us to improve, the club will still be here in 5 years, with a likely new set of players, and the world will keep on spinning, with this transfer window having been forgotten. So i'm just sat here reading all the angry posts being very "Meh, whatever, these things happen".

Is it just me like that?

I think the state of football in general contributes a lot to this apathy as well, at least for me. Every quarter there seems to be some new hairbrained rule to maintain the status quo as much as possible.

We've seen before that a lack of activity causes, or at least contributes to, stagnation. Bowyer window, Anita window, as obvious examples.  

It's not even just stagnation that is a problem, we have some glaring weaknesses in our squad that need improving. Schar and Trippier aren't getting any younger. Krafth, Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron don't start for any other team in the top 10 but are in a position where they're getting (or are likely to get) significant game time. 

If we don't pull something out the bag in the next 30 odd hours, the club will be taking a huge gamble. Failure to secure Europe this season will almost certainly see the likes of Bruno, Isak and Gordon wanting to look elsewhere. This isn't negativity, it's just the reality of the situation. 

If (IF) we have put all our eggs in the Guehi basket, we have taken a big risk.

15 minutes ago, 54 said:

I feel like as i'm getting older I just can't be arsed with negativity anymore, like objectively it'll be a poor window if we don't sign anyone, there is no disputing it, and a couple of years ago i'd probably be upset, but right now, I really just don't have the energy in me to care that much about it. Like realistically we still have owners who want us to improve, the club will still be here in 5 years, with a likely new set of players, and the world will keep on spinning, with this transfer window having been forgotten. So i'm just sat here reading all the angry posts being very "Meh, whatever, these things happen".

Is it just me like that?

No, I completely agree with you. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t sign anyone else, sure, but angry… no. It’s not really worthy of that.

10 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

If we miss any opportunity to improve as a squad, we will only find ourselves further behind everyone else. We have been playing catch up for 3 years, we can't afford to slip further behind by once again not making the necessary improvements to the team. 

Saying "oh we'll sign someone next window" is not a good enough reason/excuse. This was that next window, this was meant to be the transformative window where we'd go that step further. Maybe it still will be, there is time of course, but it doesn't look that way currently.

You can only look back and wonder. Would you rather we hadn't got Botman and we'd went for Badiashile because that January because Lille wouldn't accept our offer? It's a long game and I'm prepared to see how it plays out. Has their other CHs injury killed it ? Who knows ? We've kept our purples, we know we ha e money there to improve and I'd rather get the right one later than a make weight now. 

16 minutes ago, 54 said:

Is it just me like that?

Great way of looking at it.  I think as I get older, I don't get quite so up and down about it all.  

If we don't get anyone else in.  It will have been a 2/10 window, really.  It's annoying and a bit shit.  But I'll just move onto enjoying my weekend and hopefully watching a good performance on Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, 54 said:

Is it just me like that?

Nope, not just you.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

How so?

In a team trying to raise the ceiling of quality up to the level of Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Gordon, Tripper etc, do you think the things you've listed come anywhere close to doing that when we're still regularly playing Burn, Longstaff, Almiron, Murphy? All of them are great professionals and can do a job, but we should be moving down the pecking order and being replaced with high quality players if we want to progress. Tonali (a player we bought last summer) for Longstaff is the only one on the cards at the moment. We still have no replacement for Schar, no Pope back up, no starting RW, Wilson is still here and crocked. If we'd taken care of any of these things in this window it would be fine, but we've done nothing.  

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

No, I completely agree with you. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t sign anyone else, sure, but angry… no. It’s not really worthy of that.

My guy. :pow:

17 minutes ago, 54 said:

Is it just me like that?

Well I'm only in my 30s so I'm not going to say it's anything to do with getting older (!) but I don't get annoyed about things anywhere near as much as I used to, especially not transfers (or lack of). Obviously I'd rather we make a couple of quality additions but I'm still going to get to watch Bruno, Tonali, Isak, Gordon etc play for NUFC. I see us win more than we lose. We might actually, finally, have a chance to win something, or at least attempt to make an effort in the cups. As far as I see it, I'm well up on where I was as a fan in 2019/20, anything more than what we have now is just a bonus.

I'm certainly not saying those who are pissed off with how this window has played out aren't intitled to react however they like, but it's not how I see things. The 20-year-old me would have been writing to the club offering to fill in as DOF!

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, it depends doesn't it? We might have thought it was going to happen. 

Anything could happen tho. He could have got injured in any of the 3 games he’s played in or he could have failed his medical or as has happened Palace continue to ask for too much.  Putting all eggs in this basket for nearly 4 weeks and not have any alternative targets is mental. Can’t find any excuse for it really 

8 minutes ago, madras said:

You can only look back and wonder. Would you rather we hadn't got Botman and we'd went for Badiashile because that January because Lille wouldn't accept our offer? It's a long game and I'm prepared to see how it plays out. Has their other CHs injury killed it ? Who knows ? We've kept our purples, we know we ha e money there to improve and I'd rather get the right one later than a make weight now. 

But it's not just about not signing Guehi. Most other clubs that has money to spend seem to make sure that they have enough alternatives in place to find someone else if one fails. We've had loads of time before the window to find options.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

I agree with your point regarding holding your nerve and getting the player you want. But Guehi is the player we want and he certainly wouldn't be a makeweight. I'm definitely not saying we pay £75M. But would it have been worth it doing everything possible (pay the £65/£70M they wanted then) to get this done 3 weeks ago before the season started and then there's be none of this issue about their other CBs being injured or them not having time to replace him 

14 minutes ago, madras said:

That January was very much softened with the signings of Bruno, Trippier, Burn, Wood, Targett. If we'd a window like that where we'd addressed other areas then I don't think anyone would be in uproar. We're approaching Guehi like he's the final piece of the puzzle when we still have other areas that need serious work. 

29 minutes ago, 54 said:

Is it just me like that?

Not just you, no. Soon be Sunday :indi:

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

We've seen before that a lack of activity causes, or at least contributes to, stagnation. Bowyer window, Anita window, as obvious examples.  

By contrast, the best windows I can think of, summer 1995, 2001, 2022 caused a massive uplift which reflected on huge improvements in league position. 

I can’t get my knickers in a twist about amy if this either. Mid 50’s. Things are generally less important now anyways and i don’t get agitated about much. I’m generally very happy with things and I think the whole PSR shite and the determination to enhance the squad rather than pack it are both factors. 
I think lots of the angst is based on expectations since the take over but we are being hobbled by weird regulations and corporate sabotage. 
I’m in two minds about things in the long term: either the project will eventually work out or, it’s Newcastle United and therefore it will inevitably end up a disappointing fucking mess. 

I'm not too fussed at not getting him as I don't think he is worth £50 million never mind £75 million. However, questions need to be asked as to why we have (seemingly) concentrated on this one signing, when it was obvious Parish was just trying it on. Just over 24 hours to go, but, the window will be a failure, even if we sign a centre half, as we required a right winger just as much .

19 minutes ago, gdm said:

Anything could happen tho. He could have got injured in any of the 3 games he’s played in or he could have failed his medical or as has happened Palace continue to ask for too much.  Putting all eggs in this basket for nearly 4 weeks and not have any alternative targets is mental. Can’t find any excuse for it really 

Yeah but again, only because it looks like not happening. If we pursue him and get the singing it looks OK. 

Of course you could argue we should have moved on weeks ago no matter what, but I find that hard to argue for without knowing the inside details of the negotiation.