Marc Guehi

gdm

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah but again, only because it looks like not happening. If we pursue him and get the singing it looks OK. 

Of course you could argue we should have moved on weeks ago no matter what, but I find that hard to argue for without knowing the inside details of the negotiation. 

Yeah I get what your saying but surely there’s a list of targets why’s it now Guehi or nobody 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Whether we end up getting Guehi or not, a RW is also needed. 2 days to sort it out or it’s a failure plain and simple

It’s a massive failure on Mitchell or Howe’s part, either Howe was stubborn and wanted Guehi and refused any alternatives, or Mitchell has failed in the negotiations and didn’t know when to back away.  

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

It’s a massive failure on Mitchell or Howe’s part, either Howe was stubborn and wanted Guehi and refused any alternatives, or Mitchell has failed in the negotiations and didn’t know when to back away.  

Or neither Howe or Mitchell thought any of the alternatives were good enough.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Or neither Howe or Mitchell thought any of the alternatives were good enough.

There are plenty of alternatives out there, for the club not have an option B,C or D is criminal, especially for a club that expects to be in Europe next season. 

40 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In a team trying to raise the ceiling of quality up to the level of Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Gordon, Tripper etc, do you think the things you've listed come anywhere close to doing that when we're still regularly playing Burn, Longstaff, Almiron, Murphy? All of them are great professionals and can do a job, but we should be moving down the pecking order and being replaced with high quality players if we want to progress. Tonali (a player we bought last summer) for Longstaff is the only one on the cards at the moment. We still have no replacement for Schar, no Pope back up, no starting RW, Wilson is still here and crocked. If we'd taken care of any of these things in this window it would be fine, but we've done nothing.  

No ones under any impression that many players can't be improved on, but why is improving the RW for example (the season after we scored +85 goals) seen as a far bigger area of concern than addressing general squad depth which directly contributed to our struggles last season? 

Unless you're arguing that the squad as a whole isn't stronger than it was last season, then I'm not sure how your definition of stagnation - and the risks associated with it - can be true? 

Ideally we'll get a first teamer in over the next 24 hours, but if not, really poor, but certainly not indicative of a club that's stood still.

Edited by Thumbheed

1 minute ago, gdm said:

He played for palace Sunday, Saturday and Wednesday. At no point did this look on. Why have we wasted so much time on it 

Maybe we didn't. Maybe we walked away 2 weeks ago. Haven't really heard anything. Doesn't explain the lack of alternatives explored but i'm not convinced we didn't give up on this some time back.

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

There are plenty of alternatives out there, for the club not have an option B,C or D is criminal, especially for a club that expects to be in Europe next season. 

Can only be FFP/PSR fears which are preventing us from making short term signings. We saw what happened in June, so I think that's what is preventing us from making signings unless we are 100% sold on them.

11 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

No ones under any impression that many players can't be improved on, but why is improving the RW (the season after we scored +85 goals) seen as a far bigger area of concern than addressing general squad depth which directly contributed to our struggles last season? 

Unless you're arguing that the squad as a whole isn't stronger than it was last season, then I'm not sure how your definition of stagnation - and the risks associated with it - can be true? 

Ideally we'll get a first teamer in over the next 24 hours, but if not, really poor, but certainly not indicative of a club that's stood still.

Squad depth would be raising the floor, improving the starting XI would be raising the ceiling. We haven't improved our depth significantly either, we're actually 2 players down on last year and 2 of the 4 squad players we've brought in are 'keepers. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I cant really put the blame on anyone, it's obviously been a difficult transfer to make happen, probably more likely Palace being awkward as hell, and we've got fed up.

A blind man could see a week ago that palace were string us along, so we can blame either Mitchell for not knowing when to walk away or Eddie for being stubborn and not considering any other targets/players. We have been proper Cucked by palace over this. 

3 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

A blind man could see a week ago that palace were string us along, so we can blame either Mitchell for not knowing when to walk away or Eddie for being stubborn and not considering any other targets/players. We have been proper Cucked by palace over this. 

Can't disagree on that. We should have seen the writing on the wall ages ago. The only way this doesn't look like a complete shitshow is if we end up signing him now for whatever Palace are demanding.

I get the impression (and yes I’ve asked again) that this STILL isn’t over by the way 🙄.  I asked if we’ve pulled out / if it’s over, and was just told “no”.

Its all part of the brinksmanship I think, although I do think we’ll have other irons in fires too.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Squad depth would be raising the floor, improving the starting XI would be raising the ceiling. We haven't improved our depth significantly either, we're actually 2 players down on last year and 2 of the 3 squad players we've brought in are 'keepers. 

This is where we ultimately disagree.

I think "raising the floor" is a sign of progress, you don't. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

This is where we ultimately disagree.

I think "raising the floor" is a sign of progress, you don't. 

No, I just also think we haven't raised the floor. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

I get the impression (and yes I’ve asked again) that this STILL isn’t over by the way 🙄.  I asked if we’ve pulled out / if it’s over, and was just told “no”.

Its all part of the brinksmanship I think, although I do think we’ll have other irons in fires too.

If we are to believe downie (I know I know) he stated we had blinked and increase our offer to the 65 + 5 which they asked for 2 weeks ago so we’ve already blinked once if it’s to be believed :lol:

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I think those irons have probably been taken off the fire and set aside to cool until the winter in all likelihood.