Marc Guehi

gdm

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I get the impression (and yes I’ve asked again) that this STILL isn’t over by the way 🙄.  I asked if we’ve pulled out / if it’s over, and was just told “no”.

Its all part of the brinksmanship I think, although I do think we’ll have other irons in fires too.

Oh yeaaaah we are back in the game 

This has turned into nothing short of a shitshow. Playing fkn mind games over an alleged £5million when we should have moved on ages ago. Whoever we go for now will know they weren't our priority and we've left ourselves 36 hours to get deals done. I've loved the journey thus far but this reeks of not wanting to really spend. Been here before and it's shite. We won't struggle this season but we won't challenge either. Bit of a let down in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

8am tomorrow. Newcastle go in with an £80M offer. 

12pm tomorrow. Crystal Palace want £90M and Isak. 

Guehi isn't worth more than £40M, so we would have avoided overpaying.

Would really like a 6-month loan deal for a CB though till Botman and Lascelles are back.

Just now, BermyToon said:

Guehi isn't worth more than £40M, so we would have avoided overpaying.

Would really like a 6-month loan deal for a CB though till Botman and Lascelles are back.

He’s definitely worth more than £40m like. In today’s market £55m-£60m is perfectly reasonable for a player with his attributes / leadership.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I've explained why I think it has improved so won't recycle that, but fair enough :thup:

Out:

Anderson

Minteh
Ritchie

Karius

Dummett

In:

Kelly

Osula

Ruddy

Vlachodimos

I don't see how we've improved our depth through our actions in the market there. Lost a MF, RW, Utility, GK and a DF, brought in a DF, ST and 2 GKs. It's absolutely piss poor even by that metric, let alone us making the starting XI better. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

There's no way we just shut up shop because we can't get this guy, surely. That would be so lame.

I'm going to wait till the window shuts, but I have some pretty harsh thoughts if the Guehi deal doesn't happen, and we just do nothing.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

There's no way we just shut up shop because we can't get this guy, surely. That would be so lame.

I'm going to wait till the window shuts, but I have some pretty harsh thoughts if the Guehi deal doesn't happen, and we just do nothing.

That’s what all reports are seeming to suggest. Thankfully we don’t have long to wait to find out.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You know it’s bad when wor kaka is reaching for the pampers mind. 

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

Can only be FFP/PSR fears which are preventing us from making short term signings. We saw what happened in June, so I think that's what is preventing us from making signings unless we are 100% sold on them.

After the Hall and Osulu transfers in July, and our failure to sell anyone, I’m struggling to see where the numbers to buy more come from - I still think that Guehi is one of those where because of his quality, the club would sign him now and claw back money later - either in Jan or June.  Our amortised transfers and salaries are pretty much at 100% of projected income.  We haven’t done anything commercially significant this summer. 

Brinkmanship only works if you are holding the upper hand. I think Palace would be quite happy to keep hold of Guehi for another season. They don’t need to sell, at this point we either walk away empty handed with the window closed or meet their demands and look weak by overpaying. Either way it’s not a good look.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

If we miss any opportunity to improve as a squad, we will only find ourselves further behind everyone else. We have been playing catch up for 3 years, we can't afford to slip further behind by once again not making the necessary improvements to the team. 

Saying "oh we'll sign someone next window" is not a good enough reason/excuse. This was that next window, this was meant to be the transformative window where we'd go that step further. Maybe it still will be, there is time of course, but it doesn't look that way currently.

You’ve highlighted the problem that is PSR and not the making of NUFC’s finances or ambition. We’ve have been playing catchup for 3 years and its cost the club a lot of money. We’ve maxed out every season our PSR card. Probably over maxed it judging by last January and July scramble.

Anyway. No more PSR talk. As Woody Allen said “too much reality is not what the people want…” :lol:

Edited by LFEE

3 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

A blind man could see a week ago that palace were string us along, so we can blame either Mitchell for not knowing when to walk away or Eddie for being stubborn and not considering any other targets/players. We have been proper Cucked by palace over this. 

[emoji38] Eddie being stubborn.