Marc Guehi

gdm

2 hours ago, ohmelads said:

I think we were willing to seriously overpay to get him while the cartel clubs had other priorities. He looks a good player. Limited evidence he's great (which a 65m defender should be) but the potential is there. Liverpool had big success buying these types of player (for a high price) that have proven themselves in the Prem but are yet to hit their peak. If you look at their signings of Van Dijk, Mane etc etc, raiding other Premier League clubs.

I see two problems with our Guehi approach. One is we can't spend half what Liverpool do on fees and wages, so I don't think following their successful model is realistic. The second is that we were willing to (my opinion) seriously overpay to get him while we could before those cartel clubs come in. What's going to happen now is those clubs will come in and get him at a more realistic price, and he will of course go to them over us (higher wages, higher chance of trophies, better sponsorship deals etc). The only way we can close the enormous gap on those clubs is by scouting far and wide and basically doing a Brighton but with more cash and possibly more chance of keeping players. It's not sustainable to keep getting them all right though. The cartel clubs can afford to make expensive mistakes but we can't and that's why no one is able to challenge them. At least if we make signings like Botman, Bruno etc at roughly half the fee we were offering for Guehi, the potential damage if it goes wrong is greatly reduced.

Yep, that's really the only sustainable model for us unless the AP sponsorship rules are blown out of the water. We aren't buying bad players, but with our current strategy we can't buy enough of them to consistently challenge for the CL. So when we don't qualify that means we risk losing the players we've already bought anyway.

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But if we can’t afford to make mistakes, we might sometimes need to buy a proven player? 

We can also diverse the risk by splitting the budget among a few prospects 

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But if we can’t afford to make mistakes, we might sometimes need to buy a proven player? 

Buying a defender for 60m+ who in his current form, on a relegation battling side, doesn't deserve to get in over dan burn, is not good business mate.

Having a good Euros doesnt make you a 65m pound player. There's a reason there wasn't a single other club even hinting at bidding for guehi, and its because he was grossly overvalued by Parish, and everyone knew it.

Mitchell did well to hold the line. He'll be looking at Mitchell-esque targets in January and Guehi will be ancient history is my guess. Parish wont get 45m if he decides to sell then.

Just now, Upthemags said:

Buying a defender for 60m+ who in his current form, on a relegation battling side, doesn't deserve to get in over dan burn, is not good business mate.

Having a good Euros doesnt make you a 65m pound player. There's a reason there wasn't a single other club even hinting at bidding for guehi, and its because he was grossly overvalued by Parish, and everyone knew it.

Mitchell did well to hold the line. He'll be looking at Mitchell-esque targets in January and Guehi will be ancient history is my guess. Parish wont get 45m if he decides to sell then.

Think Guehi is a top CB tbh, the reason no clubs came in for him is he's got less than 2 years left on his contract. The top clubs will wait and force Palace's hand because they know that they can get him for £50m tops in January, and a lot less in summer.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Think Guehi is a top CB tbh, the reason no clubs came in for him is he's got less than 2 years left on his contract. The top clubs will wait and force Palace's hand because they know that they can get him for £50m tops in January, and a lot less in summer.

People think Guehi is a top CB because he had a couple nice games against bottom tier european opposition.

Top clubs know a couple nice games in an uninspiring England side makes a 70m player not. Pre Euros, Parish would have been lucky to get 35m for Guehi.

I think with how shite Palace have been, Parish cant justify selling at this point. They look to be in a proper relegation battle and I can't see them weakening even further, which they would be tbf if they sold him

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

People think Guehi is a top CB because he had a couple nice games against bottom tier european opposition.

Top clubs know a couple nice games in an uninspiring England side makes a 70m player not. Pre Euros, Parish would have been lucky to get 35m for Guehi.

I think with how shite Palace have been, Parish cant justify selling at this point. They look to be in a proper relegation battle and I can't see them weakening even further, which they would be tbf if they sold him

Nah, he’ll end up at Liverpool or Man Utd now.  The lad is a quality CB, nothing to do with the Euros - where he was the best player for one of the teams who reached the final

The Euros has no history at all of inflating transfer fees.  Past World Cups did, though that trend has died in recent years

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

I wonder if Howe and our scouts only rate him because of the Euros? :lol: 

Not a chance he is worth £70m. But I think he is a very good player and he will end up at a top club, if not here.

I’d be more than happy with us signing him and I do not only think he is decent because of the Euros. Granted he had a shocker in the 4-0 up here. But that’s one game. 

The fact that he seems to be more suited to playing on the left is a minor concern. 

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, he’ll end up at Liverpool or Man Utd now.  The lad is a quality CB, nothing to do with the Euros - where he was the best player for one of the teams who reached the final

The Euros has no history at all of inflating transfer fees.  Past World Cups did, though that trend has died in recent years

A whole world of nope....he's a decent defender but nothing remarkable.  He had some decent games for England but never stood out. Like it or not playing in a major tournament does inflate fees. There's just less movement as clubs are less likely to take a chance on 3-6 good international games any more

If he ends up at Liverpool or Man U it will be on a free. There's no way they will be paying 50-70m for a defender who's not looking great and was tbf only in the England team cos Southgates pet was injured

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I honestly thought he did ok at the Euros.  No more no less, just ok.  The talk of £50 million plus is just ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, Rod said:

I honestly thought he did ok at the Euros.  No more no less, just ok.  The talk of £50 million plus is just ridiculous.

You hate Bruno though, so anything you say has a massive pinch of salt attached to it 👍🏻🍻

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

You hate Bruno though, so anything you say has a massive pinch of salt attached to it 👍🏻🍻

Hate?  I say how it is ya knacker!

3 hours ago, Rod said:

Didn’t he go for £20m 3-4 years ago? Back when he wasn’t particularly well known? 

Had 3 more seasons of regular premier league football since and has become a regular in the England squad. Transfer fees have gone through the roof and all. Even if no fucker can afford them these days because of PSR. 

It genuinely feels like people are still looking at transfer fees through the lense of 5-10 years ago. Or whatever the saying is. 

It’s a funny one isn’t it, Palace’s form has torpedoed though he seems to playing alright. He’ll end up going to Liverpool or someone but not for the price we were prepared to pay 55m odd. So have Parish’s hardball tactics worked? 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Never rated him that highly.  Nothing that I’ve seen or in his data I’ve seen suggests he’s £60m+ defender. 

He’s worth what a club is willing to pay - stats don’t necessarily determine value.  For what it’s worth, the lad has always looked pretty good to me 

I think his value is naturally around the £50m mark. I really wanted him (still do), but when it was getting close to £70m, I can't get angry at not doing that deal, as it's getting into silly money where that £20m is crucial to help other positions.

If he's got his eyes set on us, hopefully we can get a deal done in summer for that price, but wouldn't be surprised if all three of Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City consider a move, where we won't be able to compete wages wise. 

I feel the boat has sailed though on Guehi, and club will be drawing up a list of other CB options to buy, with it being strongly linked to addressing other areas in the squad too (GK / RW / CM / RB / ST) moving forward. I.e. £20m CB options so money is spent elsewhere. There's good value out there for younger CBs, and if you've got Schar/Botman on books next season, plenty of quality and experience to learn from and develop.