Marc Guehi

gdm

Time to walk away from this one imo. Schar should be good for another season so we can either defer this signing until next summer or go for a younger more affordable prospect kind who can be back up for Schar for this season ala Tino and Hall. 

Ah well would’ve been a nice signing this one. I feel quite relaxed about this now but just a bit concerned about the lack of depth behind Schar. Who knows maybe this can be rekindled and it’s still all posturing from both sides or we can hopefully get another option in then move for that RW spot. 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Will pass on Chalobah like, he’s pretty average and would be a squad player at best. 

And that’s what we need. Either way, in next 12-24 months, we will need to have two RCBs in. No reason Chalobah and a new one signed next summer, can’t be them. With Botman / Kelly the LCB.

Would have been nice to sign him but I think this will be funny / interesting to watch play out as he’s reportedly only on around £50k per week and I hope he refuses to sign a new deal. Palace either then lose a lot of cash as I can’t see anybody matching their valuation so they sell him much cheaper or keep him until he goes on a free. The last option could have a knock on effect on signing players in the future as I truly believe as a player if a club like say Brighton comes in for you it has to be comforting knowing they won’t stand in your way if you want to go and the right offer comes in.

Just now, Sibierski said:

And that’s what we need. Either way, in next 12-24 months, we will need to have two RCBs in. No reason Chalobah and a new one signed next summer, can’t be them. With Botman / Kelly the LCB.

Because it’s poor squad planning, Chalobah got a new contract 2 years ago; he’s on proper premier league money and given how he would only be a squad player you’d be paying over a 100k a week for what is a back up. Again we have FFP constraints and thus average players on high wages needing fees should be avoided imo. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not sure he won’t sign a new deal at Palace tbh. Increase in wage and a release clause will happen if he stays beyond this window imo.

Good compromise for both him and Palace in this scenario. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not sure he won’t sign a new deal at Palace tbh. Increase in wage and a release clause will happen if he stays beyond this window imo.

Would he agree to a £70m release clause because that’s what they’ll want?

I think his head may have been turned now with our bids and if you believe the press then if he was available cheaper / free Liverpool absolutely want him as well.

Edited by Gawalls

I think we should just walk away now and not just give that wanker Parish what he wants with yet another increased bid. Go to Europe and find someone decent for about 40m or so and use the other 20m towards a right winger. 

Get Thiaw, save the 20m. As well as Madueke I’d like to sign Vitor Roque as think Howe can transform him and would be good to be the Wilson replacement next year. Also RW cover.

13 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Would he agree to a £70m release clause because that’s what they’ll want?

I think his head may have been turned now with our bids and if you believe the press then if he was available cheaper / free Liverpool absolutely want him as well.

No idea, they did it with Olise last summer though.

If the player wants the move I'm not sure why he'd sign a new contract with a release clause higher than what anyone is actually willing to pay for him. 

Palace finished strongly last season so it's possible he'll have a decent season. It's just as likely though he'll be just one defender in a mid table team who isn't riding off the back of England exposure. His value will just naturally deterioate a bit and that's without even considering his dwindling contract. 

I understand trying to hold out for what you think a player is worth fwiw. 

But equally it's true that a player is ultimately worth what someone else is willing to pay. And it's not like people are queueing up for his signature. 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

If the player wants the move I'm not sure why he'd sign a new contract with a release clause higher than what anyone is actually willing to pay for him. 

Palace finished strongly last season so it's possible he'll have a decent season. It's just as likely though he'll be just one defender in a mid table team who isn't riding off the back of England exposure. His value will just naturally deterioate a bit and that's without even considering his dwindling contract. 

I wouldn’t imagine the clause to be much higher than our current offer, it’s more a deal which protects palace from his contract expiring whilst rewarding Guehi with a higher salary and a guaranteed exit at a set fee. 

This will work well for all parties particularly once the window closes.

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I wouldn’t imagine the clause to be much higher than our current offer, it’s more a deal which protects palace from his contract expiring whilst rewarding Guehi with a higher salary and a guaranteed exit at a set fee. 

This will work well for all parties particularly once the window closes.

But if no one is willing to pay palace more than what we are currently it could lock him into palace for however many years. If he wants away they'd have to offer him very favourable terms to mitigate that. 

If Bellingham doesn't score that last second overhead kick his asking price is probably £10m less. His current price is somewhat artificially inflated by having a few good games for a defensively setup England side. 

Put a £75m release clause into his contract and he could easily never leave. 

Not saying it won't happen. But if a player actually wants to move the new contract isn't necessarily win-win for both parties. 

7 minutes ago, Cf said:

But if no one is willing to pay palace more than what we are currently it could lock him into palace for however many years. If he wants away they'd have to offer him very favourable terms to mitigate that. 

If Bellingham doesn't score that last second overhead kick his asking price is probably £10m less. His current price is somewhat artificially inflated by having a few good games for a defensively setup England side. 

Put a £75m release clause into his contract and he could easily never leave. 

Not saying it won't happen. But if a player actually wants to move the new contract isn't necessarily win-win for both parties. 

We are being opportunistic right, as usual ultimately everyone is stocked at centre half for now and I’m guessing this is what Palace are banking on. In 12 months time the market shifts maybe Liverpool need a CB maybe city do? Again, I don’t think the clause would be 75m I reckon around 60m. 

the goal of the clause wouldn’t be to keep him against his will, it would be to protect palace from the risk of losing him on the cheap and reward the player with a nice wage bump. 

Usually such situations arise because a player doesn’t want his club to take a haircut but wants to leave, everything seems to suggest he’s a good lad and a good pro so him doing this kind of thing makes sense to me.