Players that were actually decent for us that are totally forgotten

gjohnson

4 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

I think a few people are ignoring the ‘totally forgotten’ part of the question. Some of these suggestions are players that are well known from the last 10-15 years. 

Depends on your age.

Sibierski the first that came to mind for me. Was a signing that was derided and laughed at by people both in and out of our fanbase and he scored some important goals that year, particularly in Europe.

More recent but Daryl Murphy probably another. That pivotal week where we played Brighton and Huddersfield away, he came off the bench to change the game in the first and then scored a really clever goal in the second, as well as chipping in with some goals in other games in the latter half of that season.

Paddy van Aanholt also did a very good two month stint at left back for us the year we came up under Hughton.

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Abdoulaye Faye

This was the one that came to mind first.

I’ll chuck Mo Diamé in there too and I always quite liked Stephen Glass.

8 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Sibierski the first that came to mind for me. Was a signing that was derided and laughed at by people both in and out of our fanbase and he scored some important goals that year, particularly in Europe.

More recent but Daryl Murphy probably another. That pivotal week where we played Brighton and Huddersfield away, he came off the bench to change the game in the first and then scored a really clever goal in the second, as well as chipping in with some goals in other games in the latter half of that season.

Paddy van Aanholt also did a very good two month stint at left back for us the year we came up under Hughton.

Aye Daryl Murphy, cult hero

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Friends ask what happened to Mikel Merino at Newcastle. Was he bad? Bad management? Honest answer is Diame and Shelvey turned into Petit and Vieira-lite for a few months and Merino went crying off back to Sociedad.  Prior Merino looked class. 

J

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Glass is a good call, if he wasn't made out of glass.

Can't count Diame as he's rrmembered.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

Aye Daryl Murphy, cult hero

Le Sibs a good call. No one expected anything and he was fairly respectable for us

18 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Another gem from 89/90. Wayne Fereday. Anyone who was at Oakwell to watch him and Ranson attempt a 1-2, only for the ball to just roll out of play to the utter scorn of the away fans hasn't lived.

I was at that match and it's the only thing I can remember from the game :suicide:

I wanted to pick someone that hasn't been mentioned yet, but Kevin Brock is the one. 

Jeff Clarke and Clarence Acuna are good shouts too. For some reason Sir Bob didn't seem to rate Acuna that highly.

PS - Just thought of a new one for the mix. Darren Jackson.

Edited by Cronky

6 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

J

Glass is a good call, if he wasn't made out of glass.

Can't count Diame as he's rrmembered.

Le Sibs a good call. No one expected anything and he was fairly respectable for us

Fair on Diamé, how about Danny Guthrie? It never felt like we lost too much when he came in for Cabaye.

EDIT: I now see you’ve already dumped on the DG suggestion :lol:

Don't know if slim pickings or if he was actually decent and forgotten but whenever we did our best XIs and subs, Alain Goma always got a look in to mine until recent times.

Edited by Jonas

3 minutes ago, bigfella said:

I was at that match and it's the only thing I can remember from the game :suicide:

Same, apart from Quinny getting a late late equalizer in a shit 1-1 draw. That was probably the nadir of Fereday's time at the toon and that's saying something. He was Obertan before Obertan was even a thing.

Oba Martins, Rondon, Viduka and N'Zogbia come to mind. 

First 3 were key players for us in that era and never really get talked about, the latter was just never allowed to shine but was clearly excellent. 

Also rated Marveaux tbh, definitely thought there was a top player in there although never really got chance to show it.

Edited by Thumbheed

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I know he was at the end of his career/in his thirties, but I really liked Roy Aitken. 

Was young, but he looked a class above when he first came and galvanised that whole season (probably the in form team in the division from his arrival on) seemed to fall off a cliff the following season

6 minutes ago, 1892er said:

I may be remembering wrongly but wasn't Stephen Carr half decent for us?

My memories are that he was absolutely shite, constantly, screamer away at Southampton apart. 

Highlights include him ducking out of the crucial Alkmaar away game at the last second through another dubious "injury" and allowing Huntington to get an absolute scuttling at left-back, and pissing his pants laughing as he arrived as a sub in an 0-3 howking at the hands of Liverpool under Allardyce.

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Was young, but he looked a class above when he first came and galvanised that whole season (probably the in form team in the division from his arrival on) seemed to fall off a cliff the following season

Epitome of a great captain and competitor. Was surprised Ossie got rid. Could have surely helped the masses of young uns he fielded. 

Daryl Murphy is the sweet spot in answer to this, like, doubt I can beat it. Fair play to Pilks there. 

Acuna is so well forgotten that literally everyone remembers him. :lol: