The worst Newcastle player you've seen in a match

gjohnson

I had an irrational dislike of Geremi. I couldn't work out why, so watched him play a few times, almost ignoring the rest of the match.

This could be confirmation bias, but all he seemed to do was jog around the same small area of pitch and, any time he was passed the ball, simply pass it straight back. You might as well have kicked a tennis ball against a wall, and then see it bounce back at you at an inconvenient angle. 

There are bad players, and then there are the ones who don't just make a mess of things because they are trying, but add less than nothing. That's how I saw him, and I'm probably being completely unfair, but he is the first name I thought of when I saw this thread.

3 hours ago, Troll said:

Worst single performance was Cacapa vs Pompey, worst in general was Alan Smith.

Agree on Smith - nobody comes close in fact. Worst performance I’ve seen is a tough one. Although Smith against Blackpool (0-2) is one and there was a game in the Championship under Rafa where Vernon Anita’s only contribution in an entire half of football was 9 instances of giving the ball away. Suppose it only really stands out if it gets punished a la Cacapa in that Pompey game.

Newcastle 0-6 Liverpool is a team collective that stands out a mile. I won’t forgive certain hero worshiped players who were gutless in that game.

2 hours ago, Holloway said:

Glen Keeley was a bit of a nugget

He was but at that position there was worse. Bruce Haliday, David Barton, Graham Oates and that's without even giving it much thought.

3 hours ago, J7 said:

Smith (Ryan Taylor 75), Butt, Geremi

Fucking hell those were grim times, seeing those 3 line up together in midfield was just soul-destroying. You knew you were in for a long, awful match before kickoff.

The only midfielder I've seen regularly play for us who could consistently out-shit that triumverate was Amdy Faye.

24 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Cacapa was no mug in France - captained an excellent Lyon side at the time, for a good few years. Perhaps his legs had just gone? ???

That and he was simply not physically imposing enough to defend the same way he had in France. He had some good games for us too, to be fair to him.

For performances I’ve seen in the flesh: Florian Thauvin.

He was a good player overall in his career, but clearly didn’t want to be at us and was forced to move for the money. His performances showed it. 

Marveaux at Goodison is one that'll always stand out. That 1st half performance was up there with the most gutless of performances I've ever seen from an NUFC player. Remember being absolutely furious when he came jogging back out after half time only for Pardew to drag him off 3 minutes in to the 2nd half.

Obertan when we played Arsenal away in 2011-2012. He got an assist for Ben Arfa’s goal but he skirted all 50-50s and hid for most of the match. Think that was the first time I noticeably saw a player avoiding physicality on a football pitch. It was that apparent.  

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Newcastle 0-6 Liverpool is a team collective that stands out a mile. I won’t forgive certain hero worshiped players who were gutless in that game.

Given was by the far the best player on the field that day.

Alan Smith was doubly bad when you realise we spent £21m on his fee and over the life of his £60k p/w 5 year deal on him. No goals from a bloke that used to play striker is shameful.

Edited by Nucasol

44 minutes ago, Stifler said:

That was the 1-5 under Kinnear wasnt it?

Think the 0-6 was under Pardew when Debuchy deliberately got himself a second yellow so he could bail on the team.

Random pet-peeve, I get frustrated when Longstaff and Gordon pull out of all 50-50s. I can appreciate they're probably just trying to protect their bodies but they never go in for them, I'm sure other teams are wise to this and have picked up on it. Longstaff does slide in occasionally when it's nailed on though.

The issue I had with Obertan is that it was almost impossible how bad he was when you considered his physical attributes. How someone with that pace could be so utterly awful all the time was some feat

14 hours ago, Fak said:

Was Paul Dalglish Ferdinand’s replacement?

or was it G’uivarch? Or Andersson? or JDT? Or John Barnes? Or Ian Rush? 

Did Kenny Dalglish even know himself?

Why did he even sell him anyway?!

Jon Dhal Tommason wasn't it?

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

Maybe you are mixing it up with the 1-5 one? Could be he did really well in both, though. I still remember the 1-5 game, because despite conceding 5, he had one of the very best games I have seen from a goalkeeper ever. It was rumoured that he wanted to leave because of this game, don't know if that's what actually happened, but he left not long after.

Edit: I see that someone else pointed it out.

Edited by Erikse

3 hours ago, Fak said:

That was the 1-5 under Kinnear wasnt it?

Think the 0-6 was under Pardew when Debuchy deliberately got himself a second yellow so he could bail on the team.

26 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Maybe you are mixing it up with the 1-5 one? Could be he did really well in both, though. I still remember the 1-5 game, because despite conceding 5, he had one of the very best games I have seen from a goalkeeper ever. It was rumoured that he wanted to leave because of this game, don't know if that's what actually happened, but he left not long after.

Quite possibly the 1-5 match.