Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

Just now, Nucasol said:

A win is a win is a win. Not what we were expecting but sometimes those gritty ones are just as good as the textbook 4-0 trouncing.

If this was 10-15 games in to a season that would be realistic. But promoted teams are always massively up for their first game, and have given us problems before

3 points. Move on with relief, but Christ even before sending off we were poor and under a silly amount of pressure for a home game against a newly promoted side. 

Need some signings.

Just now, Sibierski said:

3 points. Move on with relief, but Christ even before sending off we were poor and under a silly amount of pressure for a home game against a newly promoted side. 

Need some signings.

Aye, we looked unbelievably flat in those opening 20 minutes or so

14 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

That's why I'd take Joelinton over Gallagher.

I must have missed that post but was someone seriously suggesting Gallagher was better than Joelinton [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

First 5 minutes we were decent and looked to get right up but we sat off far too much for my liking after that and let them build momentum instead. It was odd. That, combined with risible refereeing, led to the sending off.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

The Brazilians are just so good at digging in. 

A bit worried by Gordon's showing. He looked miles off it mentally more than anything.

He's probably had a tough summer watching the Euros from the bench like, I think people are looking into the transfer links too much

I do think southamptons shape caused us so many problems all game. Is it similar to palaces setup? 

Noticed we couldn't press effectively because of kwp drifting inside. 

Edited by andycap

If they can’t beat a team who went down to 10 men, who couldn’t get the ball without being pulled back for a foul, and actually didn’t create that many problems despite the possession stats, then they are fucked and going down.

I said earlier that their attitude will get them screwed as the season goes on. Diaz will end up being a target for the hard tackles, and he’ll quickly lose his cocky attitude and regress to being invisible. Other players will get the yellow cards and the 2nd yellows. Tackles like the one on Gordon which they did as soon as they went a goal down will be straight reds.

On paper today they were the better team according to the stats, and they still got fucking found out.

Turns out they only got promoted because Leeds like to fucking bottle it.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

A bit worried by Gordon's showing. He looked miles off it mentally more than anything.

Well off the pace, not that worried tho, early days in the season (unless there’s another reason, sorry and just joking 😂)

1 minute ago, Andy said:

He's probably had a tough summer watching the Euros from the bench like, I think people are looking into the transfer links too much

I was a bit surprised he started, tbh. 49 minutes of football in 3 months isn't great. Aye, he's trained with England but I don't imagine that's anything like how we train/reflects a proper preseason.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Just now, Disco said:

Mad how Bruno was making the running at the end. Looked like he was blowing out of his arse after 5 mins.

Looked like he was lacking match sharpness, but his natural fitness levelled it out towards the end when other players started to tire 

Thoughts, fwiw

I think we looked tired which is a worry given how we want to play. 

I hope he sticks with Hall. Yeah he had a couple of moments but, after the sending off, it was a struggle anyway. He made one error then, straight, after another which was, actually, Gordon's fault. 

Antony, looked a bit "head turned" 😂. Poor cunt got floored all over the pitch with no cover off of the Cartel ref. 

Bruno. Captain my Captain. Needs to grow into the responsibility, which he will, but today was a test. 

BigJ, 😎

The ref let too much, of their's, go early doors. Esp that hand-off of Gordon. Loads more. That led to the sending off debacle.

Useless cunt all game 

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It was down to his England duty. I said before the Euro’s that I’d rather our players not go. They needed a rest, and the ones going with England were never going to play. He only came back the other week and hasn’t had a long enough rest, nor a long enough pre-season. Almost like Southgate did it to unsettle our squad due to being under the impression that he was getting the Man Utd job.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

If they can’t beat a team who went down to 10 men, who couldn’t get the ball without being pulled back for a foul, and actually didn’t create that many problems despite the possession stats, then they are fucked and going down.

I said earlier that their attitude will get them screwed as the season goes on. Diaz will end up being a target for the hard tackles, and he’ll quickly lose his cocky attitude and regress to being invisible. Other players will get the yellow cards and the 2nd yellows. Tackles like the one on Gordon which they did as soon as they went a goal down will be straight reds.

On paper today they were the better team according to the stats, and they still got fucking found out.

Turns out they only got promoted because Leeds like to fucking bottle it.

Balls to them south coast Makems. Used to be the only show down there built on le tissier being mint, but Bourmouth and Brighton have well and truly passed them now