Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

Aye, saw you going up the aisle before ko. I was at front of that section, quite near aisle. Hope you enjoyed!

Second half was stressful it must be said but enjoyed the day overall!

Good result given the circumstances of the game and although I would've probably taken a point after the sending off I certainly wouldn't have done at half time after realising just how poor of a side they were. They really aren't a good side. Which makes the (limited sample of) performance of the first 25 minutes a bit more galling.

What did people think of Gordon's performance btw? Many around me thought he didn't look interested.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Good result given the circumstances of the game and although I would've probably taken a point after the sending off I certainly wouldn't have done at half time after realising just how poor of a side they were. They really aren't a good side. Which makes the (limited sample of) performance of the first 25 minutes a bit more galling.

What did people think of Gordon's performance btw? Many around me thought he didn't look interested.

Him and Trippier joined pre-season super late. Wouldn't be surprised if he's just not match fit yet.

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Think it’s harsh to say he didn’t look interested personally. Was definitely not himself and didn’t play well at all, but he hasn’t had a pre season.

Agree that they were shite despite keeping the ball (means nowt). Was also concerned at how poor we looked prior to the red card. No intensity or anything, was like night and day compared to Villa at home first game last season. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Think it’s harsh to say he didn’t look interested personally. Was definitely not himself and didn’t play well at all, but he hasn’t had a pre season.

Agree that they were shite despite keeping the ball (means nowt). Was also concerned at how poor we looked prior to the red card. No intensity or anything, was like night and day compared to Villa at home first game last season. 

better level of pre season opposition last year?

Just now, huss9 said:

better level of pre season opposition last year?

Valid point. Them games in America were like league games the way we played. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Valid point. Them games in America were like league games the way we played. 

and the heat in japan was different level also.

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Thought that. Even against Forest 2 years back; play off winners at home like today. Night and day compared to today in terms of level of performance. A little vexing.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Gordon just spent the summer wasting away on Southgates bench and barely had a kick pre-season so he's probably a little confidence knocked and rusty. Give him a month and he'll be tearing it up again.

Don't think there was a lack of effort from him fwiw, he put a shift in when we went down to 10 and his role changed, he was just off it today, but then who wasn't? 

Edited by Mattoon

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thought that. Even against Forest 2 years back; play off winners at home like today. Night and day compared to today in terms of level of performance. A little vexing.

We were just sloppy and as if we were going through the motions. Not often we are like that.

Thought Southampton were good. Definitely their setup give us problems. All over the pitch they seemed that bit sharper. They dealt with the physical presence of Joelinton well also whoever it was they put up against him.

Of the three opening games under EH definitely our poorest. Thankfully they pretty much gifted us our only opportunity which we did well to punish.

AG not at the races. Body language not the best either but hopefully overthinking it.

Didnt understand the red card if the other got a yellow. Either both red. Both yellow. If one is a red then you can’t give a yellow to the other. Just doesn’t make sense.

Back four did well and Hall subbed at right time. Quite telling Trippier got no game time though again maybe overthinking.

Midfield was poor. Bruno way off the pace. Longstaff similar. Joelinton held us together.

Not really the game to judge the forward line. Isak did well for the goal. Wide forwards did very little.

Very good three points all things considered.

12 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

One of their coaches pushing Eddie against the wall. Since when did Southampton become so horribly small time. Comes from their manager I’d imagine. 

Don’t think that’s Eddie.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He was poor to be honest.

21 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

One of their coaches pushing Eddie against the wall. Since when did Southampton become so horribly small time. Comes from their manager I’d imagine. 

Pretty sure it's Tindall doing the pushing ffs. :lol: God I hate social media, trying to make a big deal out of everything.

Edited by Pata

Funny that we have a healthy animosity towards these lot as they couldn’t be further away from us as a club or city.

Those League Cup games had some spice and that’s carried into today. 

3 points, which is all that will really be remembered of this in months to come. Glad we ground the result out, could prove vital in May. Think Pope was really the difference between a win and one of our February-March performances.

10 hours ago, OCK said:

You watching Boro classics or something?

:doh:

Watched the game in Hong Kong…….google word predict & translate’s a bit dodgy here 🤔🤣

Edited by Mag_in_NZ

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Funny that we have a healthy animosity towards these lot as they couldn’t be further away from us as a club or city.

Those League Cup games had some spice and that’s carried into today. 

Their board is a good read. Bitter, as you can imagine.