AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

11 minutes ago, Memphis said:

How did Joelinton not get sent off? What the fuck was he doing?

They only showed it once, but from the front it looked more like over the shoulder and onto the chest, not the smack across the face it looked like at first. I'd need to see it again though.

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

No Tonali?

I'd give him one or two sub appearances to ease him back in but I wouldn't be against him starting either

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Makes decision to de-armband and bench trippier look even weirder too. So much better once Tino went off. 

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place though IMO because we do massively need to refresh things across the park and look to the future. I think Tino would be far better with a more creative right winger ahead of him.

As to why we are so lacklustre in midfield, I have a theory that training is being conducted assuming Tonali is in the team, but he can’t yet play so it gets quite confusing in game…

Also now that Howe isn’t in the loop for transfers, he can’t address any uncertainty that might be eating away at the players.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We were terrible for a good period in fairness. Really poor on the ball, look unfit as well. Delighted with a point mind.

First 20 and last 20 we where the better side, the bit in the middle was where we were ropey, but looked decent enough defensively (Until Joelinton made his mistake anyway), we also had 2/3 clear cut chances, as they had a couple of good chances. Draw is fair imo. 

Pheeewwww!

I only caught the second half. I thought Howe was right to drop Hall and start Kelly who seemed fine, but Hall undoubtedly had a great impact when he came on, so the jury is still very much out of what our best option is there. Same could be said of Tino and Trippier.

Barnes made and impact so hopefully we see Gordon and Barnes start next week. Murphy regularly disappoints as a starter but he can be really effective as an impact sub. Willock replacing Longstaff also added energy but I don't see him taking that position longterm as both he and Joelinton are more effective on the left and Tonali is back next week.

Both Isak and Gordon don't seem to have got up to speed yet, understandable for Gordon a bit surprising for Isak.

We got the rub of the green a bit with the decisions but we're due some luck.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I enjoyed that. 

It was horrible. :lol: But I feel like it was probably a decent game for the neutral. 

I was impressed with Bournemouth. Semenyo always looks dangerous; they pressed extremely effectively and won the physical battle hands down. To some extent that reflects well on us that we've managed to grind out a point, because we really had to sort ourselves out during the game. 

Just now, 54 said:

First 20 and last 20 we where the better side, the bit in the middle was where we were ropey, but looked decent enough defensively (Until Joelinton made his mistake anyway), we also had 2/3 clear cut chances, as they had a couple of good chances. Draw is fair imo. 

Don’t get me wrong I’m delighted with a point, just a lot similar to last season in terms of performance imo.

Semenyo a player fans would probably turn their noses up at if linked but would be a massive improvement on our options there. Maybe we really need to stop letting perfect be the enemy of good in that position.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

So lucky man. So grateful though.

Horrible decision starting Longstaff and Murphy on the right.

Hopefully, today means that never happens again.

Both should be firmly rooted to the bench. Eddie got that starting 11 massively wrong and was completely stubborn not changing anything at the half. At least he can plainly see what's not going to work and our muted performances can only improve as the season wears on.