Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 01/09/24 @ 13:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Based on last night it's going to be tempting to start Sandro. Always prefer getting a good start than trying to chase the game later. 

Not only that, Longstaff is much more effective coming of the bench.

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

-------------- Pope------------

Tino --- Krafth --- Burn --- Hall

Tonali ----- Bruno ---- JoeLinton

Barnes ------ Isak ------ Gordon

This maybe with Trippier. 

PS If you pop Guehi and Botman into that, it looks immense. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not only that, Longstaff is much more effective coming of the bench.

I used to think the opposite of this, but was impressed with him last night  off the bench. Thought he did well and having Tonali back is only going to help push his levels up.

12 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

For me putting Barnes on the right is a little square pegs in round holes. Gordon has to stay left too.

I have flew that flag for a while, but last night encouraged me (Barnes on the right), and he has to be better than the alternatives surely? I refuse to believe we signed him as a £40m squad player so there must have been a grand plan to get them both in the side unless it genuinely was a case of beefing up the squad - it just seemed an expensive signing if that is the case.

Agree Gordon staying left but I wouldn't be against them interchanging throughout the game. Makes it much harder for Spurs to prepare too.

Edited by Chicken Dancer

3-1, 7 points after 3 heading into the international break. Everyone gets 2 weeks to calm down and reassess the team, which is still the same as the one that came 4th and also the same one that had the 4th best goals difference last year and the team that had the 4th best xg last year. We're basically the 4th best team in the league and we'll prove it by beating Spurs on Sunday.

Really not sure what to think here.  On the one hand, I think the way they play could really expose our fairly slow and currently average looking back 4.  Their pace and how many players they commit forward could kill us, as the midfield often seems to get overrun and exposed.

But then last season we had a bit of a make shift back 4 and had decent players missing, yet we still obliterated them.  Constantly killing them on the counter. 

Tonali starting or playing a meaningful amount of minutes would be huge to get them turned round on the counter regularly.  Along with starting Gordon-Isak-Barnes in a front 3.  

I think my biggest concern would be the right hand side being Tino, Krafth, Longstaff and Murphy.  As none of them are particularly good with their passing and there is just a huge lack of quality down that whole half of the pitch.  It was shambolic against Bournemouth.  Trippier and/or Tonali starting would make a massive difference in how we progress the ball. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

On 29/08/2024 at 09:45, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Even better if you put Saka on the right wing and Alphonso Davies at left back. We can't though can we :lol:

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Really not sure what to think here.  On the one hand, I think the way they play could really expose our fairly slow and currently average looking back 4.  Their pace and how many players they commit forward could kill us, as the midfield often seems to get overrun and exposed.

But then last season we had a bit of a make shift back 4 and had decent players missing, yet we still obliterated them.  Constantly killing them on the counter. 

Tonali starting or playing a meaningful amount of minutes would be huge to get them turned round on the counter regularly.  Along with starting Gordon-Isak-Barnes in a front 3.  

I think my biggest concern would be the right hand side being Tino, Krafth, Longstaff and Murphy.  As none of them are particularly good with their passing and there is just a huge lack of quality down that whole half of the pitch.  It was shambolic against Bournemouth.  Trippier and/or Tonali starting would make a massive difference in how we progress the ball. 

This game last season saw us tactically switch it up for the first time in quite a while; seemed to play a back 5 out of possession with Anderson at LWB and Murphy at RWB, Gordon and Barnes on opposite wings and looking for the first time over the top ball to use their and Isak's pace to expose Spurs' highline. Don't think we've the players to do that again though given the lack of available CBs.

13 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

This game last season saw us tactically switch it up for the first time in quite a while; seemed to play a back 5 out of possession with Anderson at LWB and Murphy at RWB, Gordon and Barnes on opposite wings and looking for the first time over the top ball to use their and Isak's pace to expose Spurs' highline. Don't think we've the players to do that again though given the lack of available CBs.

I guess they might be expecting it and all. But wasn’t it Krafth right side of the 3 last season? So the same again with Burn and Kelly is possible if we wanted to go down that route. 

On 29/08/2024 at 09:45, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Trippier at times looked like he had thoughts elsewhere on Wednesday.

Id like him to come off the bench on weekend if needed.