Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

It wasn’t awful man. 20 mins of it were awful. The rest was a pretty competitive even game, with us edging the first half (IMO).

The first and last 15mims were competetive imo, the rest were all Spurs.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

The main reason we won is that on two occasions we punished Spurs. In the first case, they switched off from a throw and Barnes clinically put it away. In the second case, their idiotic high line was taken advantage of.

The other big reason is the mettle we have in the side and the tactical strength of our manager. 

We probably rode our luck to some extent - one of their wingers (Odobert) was absolutely pish and I bet they'd have nicked another goal if they had someone instead of him with a modicum of attacking instinct. 

People saying Spurs were better coached, no way in the world. 

Started with the wrong lineup (no Johnson and Odobert who is useless), made bad subs (Werner) and got exposed on the counter to lose. 

Absolutely huge win that today. Would have been awful losing and then going into the international break full of negativity.

Well done to Howe and the lads today.

Again people who say RW is bigger problem than CB. Everytime Burn or Krafth got the ball, they only could play the easy pass. Opponents cannot give Schär for ex. that kind of space and time, cause he will put on the plate for Gordon. Our lack of ball playing centrebacks is causing a lot of problems. And just getting Schär back is not going to solve all of them

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

It wasn’t awful man. 20 mins of it were awful. The rest was a pretty competitive even game, with us edging the first half (IMO).

A bud in the group chat texted "this has been a really entertaining game" and I was like if you're a fucking neutral :lol: 

We definitely rode our luck at times. It wasn't awful but it wasn't easy to watch. We could've been up 2-0 in the first half alone had that Isak chip gone in.

Like most I'm stoked to see us have 7 out of 9 when we easily could have 0.

Bruno off the pace today, Big Joe had a pretty bad like 65 minutes then turned it on near the end. Someone needs to figure out what's going on with Gordon. But we're in a good spot going into the international break when we easily could be in a not good spot.

Just now, Andy said:

Aye it can easily be spun both ways...

"We're winning despite not playing well, which is the sign of a top team"

Or

"We're winning but the performances are completely unsustainable"

No idea where I'm at with it yet, so I'm just going to take the points and hope we play a lot better after the break :lol:

It's definitely the latter for me; we're papering over cracks. Cracks we're all too aware of; cracks that people have been eager to prise wide open. 

It was critical we did the papering today with two weeks to work on everything from a position of real strength. We have to take advantage of this fantastic bit of grace we've afforded ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Absolutely huge win that today. Would have been awful losing and then going into the international break full of negativity.

Well done to Howe and the lads today.

Very important win for us. United :indi:

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

1.57 vs 1.2… something.  Forgot Spurs’s accurate number 

Didn’t see the game as I’m out with the family (this is last three games v spurs at st James park I’ve had to go out now) but it seems like barnes and Tonali needed to be starting for the time being? I’m having Tonali on Forrest game

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

People saying Spurs were better coached, no way in the world. 

Started with the wrong lineup (no Johnson and Odobert who is useless), made bad subs (Werner) and got exposed on the counter to lose. 

I only saw the second half but they seemed better coached to me.

Just now, Gawalls said:

Didn’t see the game as I’m out with the family (this is last three games v spurs at st James park I’ve had to go out now) but it seems like barnes and Tonali needed to be starting for the time being? I’m having Tonali on Forrest game

Barnes scored a cracker, he’s always dangerous.  Tonali was a marked improvement on Longstaff when he came on (Longstaff had one of his off games).  

Just now, Beren said:

I only saw the second half but they seemed better coached to me.

Why tf didn't they win then? :lol:

Spurs are powderpuff. They didn't even create a big chance despite all the pressure; the goal was an absolute gift. 

We were the better team in the first half, particularly the first part. We deserved to be ahead at half time. 

After half time we were average, but still the goal seemed a ridiculous set of events (haven’t seen a replay). 

After the goal we went to pieces, but IMO what Spurs did was mainly to do with our mistakes and shaky confidence. 

Either team could have won but they introduced people like Werner who are never going to score, and one of our breaks was a good one. Putting Werner up against Tino and Murphy is borderline kamikaze. 

Weird game and hard to assess but I don’t think the win was lucky. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Six of Spurs shots were by Porro, their right back. It's not a winning formula.

In a new low, The Guardian's minute by minute report only added a description of our winning goal after the final whistle. During the game, it just said it was against the run of play. They've managed to find someone even worse than Louise Taylor to cover our games.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Agree to disagree we could barely get forward. Kept losing the ball. Spurs were awful as well just because we edged it doesn’t mean we were good

we are winning and picking up points and playing pretty shit compared to what we know this team is capable of. let’s get the form on and crack some teams right open 

Seeing our next run of games, we needed those 3 points I'd think. 1 would have been ok but 3 is great.

Really need to regroup and analyse our 4 performances so far this season. Never have I welcomed an international break as much as this one.