Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Right, not sure where to put this… but a few tidbits of info I managed to get today…

- Guehi was repeatedly told by Palace that a deal was close and he was expecting to travel for a medical at any point in the final week. As speculated, it was the injury to Palace’s CB that put an end to it.

- Regarding the camp being unsettled… I was told that no one has “had their head turned”, but there was a lot of general anxiety surrounding a few players futures because of the PSR issue and the knowledge that technically anyone “could” be sold, which led to a lot of disruption / speculation. Apparently Longstaff and Trippier suffered badly on that front 🤷‍♂️. Weirdly I think the players who were least affected by the speculation were those who have either just signed new contracts or have been deemed our stars and definitely not for sale (Bruno, Isak).

- Miley should be back by the end of the month. Moon-boot off.

- Trippier 100% never asked to leave, though he is/was a little unsure of his place in the team right now. Guess that can only be fixed over time.

That’s about all, but thought I’d share to keep everyone in the loop.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

If Guehi has been lied to by Palace (obviously circumstances changed with that injury but who the fuck knows what they’d have done otherwise) then its hard to believe he’ll have his heart in it from now on even if he is a model pro

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

SoGkb.gif

Jesus christ, it gets worse. I didn’t realise the only reason Dragusin gets anything at all on the ball. Is because Isak kicks it into him, after Dragusin has already gone through him. 

Gotta love how we are pretty much the only ones who knows we should've had a pen. The commentators, producers, referree and VAR all did a great job of brushing it off. Not seeing any talk of it elsewhere.:lol: Imagine if it was one of the you know who teams, everyone would be talking about it.

Edited by Erikse

Say Isak has another touch instead of trying to shoot. He gets none of the ball and that would somehow mean it is a penalty but this isn’t?

However, he only gets the ball from Isak taking said shot and that’s after he’s gone through Isak to get anywhere near it. 

Make it make sense :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Its a clear penalty, but easy to miss.

No issue with the ref missing it. He was miles away and he would have seen the ball loop up like he got a touch, I guess. 

But what’s the point in VAR if it’s not giving that? I don’t like it and I hate it being used to re-referee games. But that is clear and obvious and you see it straight away on the first replay Sky showed. It’s a blatant foul. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Yeah I'm with @madras on this one. There's contact yes, and he doesn't get the ball, but is there enough to bring Isak down? He definitely doesn't go through him, or swipe his standing leag away. The fact that Isak goes down so clumsily doesn't help either, almost as if he's gone looking for it and the process of kicking the ground has taken him down as much as the contact from the defender.

Mind, I'd probably be spitting feathers if we'd ended up losing 2-1 instead of winning...

Just for fun I went to check when the last time we started a season with atleast 7 points was. It was the 11/12 season where we finished 5th. But our goal difference was worse (3-1 vs 4-2), so technically this is the best 3 game start to a PL season since the 95/96 season. I noticed a pattern of slow starts to say the least.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Yeah I'm with @madras on this one. There's contact yes, and he doesn't get the ball, but is there enough to bring Isak down? He definitely doesn't go through him, or swipe his standing leag away. The fact that Isak goes down so clumsily doesn't help either, almost as if he's gone looking for it and the process of kicking the ground has taken him down as much as the contact from the defender.

Mind, I'd probably be spitting feathers if we'd ended up losing 2-1 instead of winning...

He goes sprawling because as he's about the strike the ball his standing foot is knocked out from underneath him. He's definitely brought down by the challenge.

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Right, not sure where to put this… but a few tidbits of info I managed to get today…

- Guehi was repeatedly told by Palace that a deal was close and he was expecting to travel for a medical at any point in the final week. As speculated, it was the injury to Palace’s CB that put an end to it.

- Regarding the camp being unsettled… I was told that no one has “had their head turned”, but there was a lot of general anxiety surrounding a few players futures because of the PSR issue and the knowledge that technically anyone “could” be sold, which led to a lot of disruption / speculation. Apparently Longstaff and Trippier suffered badly on that front 🤷‍♂️. Weirdly I think the players who were least affected by the speculation were those who have either just signed new contracts or have been deemed our stars and definitely not for sale (Bruno, Isak).

- Miley should be back by the end of the month. Moon-boot off.

- Trippier 100% never asked to leave, though he is/was a little unsure of his place in the team right now. Guess that can only be fixed over time.

That’s about all, but thought I’d share to keep everyone in the loop.

This is kind of what I assumed, nice to hear. Like I always said, the Guehi saga was almost as bad for Palace as for us. The idea that it was some kind of win for them is silly - they wanted to sell him and failed. 

53 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Jesus christ, it gets worse. I didn’t realise the only reason Dragusin gets anything at all on the ball. Is because Isak kicks it into him, after Dragusin has already gone through him. 

I thought at the time it was a reckless challenge. I’m tired of commentators saying that because they got the ball, it’s ok. No, you can still perform a reckless challenge and get the ball. They did another challenge like that later on outside of the box though.

9 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

He was going very fast, it doesn't take much. Besides, you don't have to break someones leg for there to be a foul.

Edited by Erikse