Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Performing in training is very different to playing in a match.

I remember a lot of years ago George Graham was talking about Ameobi. He said that when you watch him in training he's incredible but he doesn't seem able to take it into a match 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Apparently one of those players who does well off the bench, gets a start off the back of it and then doesn’t perform 

So someone that performs better against tired legs. 

Actually a really nice move from back to front for the winner - not transitional at all. I also like how Tonali moves Bissouma to create the angle for Joelinton's pass - really clever. 

8 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Actually a really nice move from back to front for the winner - not transitional at all. I also like how Tonali moves Bissouma to create the angle for Joelinton's pass - really clever. 

Yep, it's good football. That move that he and Bruno do where they allow the opponent to press and make themselves flat-footed, before shooting off around the corner, can be so effective at opening up play. Joe knows exactly what he's got in mind too because he tells Hall to move it to Burn.

I wonder if there was a tactical choice in that because we did it a few times moving central... with mixed results. Gordon lost it dangerously once trying it. 

Yeah, the way Bruno and Sandro are pinning their 2 capable CMs back, leaving Maddison as the man to press JL, a mismatch if ever there was one, was very nice. Really hope that was a planned thing. Props also to Burn for that reverse ball.

Also, rewatching it, double props to Murphy for holding his run, it’s on a split second before but JL hesitates and Murphy senses that.

Perfectly weighted pass from JL. Surgeon with a scalpel, that ball.

42 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Was just interested I guess now it’s post-game and we’ve won etc. 

At risk of sounding like an old bloke but if you’re giving pens for that much contact on a slide tackle… the games gone, you’ll be giving a pen every week etc etc. 

Feel like Isak played for the pen and didn’t get the contact he wanted. 

Nah. I’m all for the good old take the man and the ball tackle. Yellows get dished out now for challenges that weren’t even fouls when I played regularly. 

However. I don’t agree that you can slide in from slightly behind a player, tripping them in the process and only get the ball because they’ve kicked it into you. 

I know it’s all about opinions. Which makes the game so great. Well, usually :lol: but I’m genuinely shocked it’s even a debate and it got glossed over. 

DJ Onedeck was much better than usual

Playing some acceptable tunes via that new “submit your match anthem” thing:  Fender, Lindisfarne, Journey (not my cup of tea, but a crowd pleaser)

Rattled through the half time birthdays, rather than dragging it out for ages

Primal Scream at full time cos we won

No DJ Fucking Otzi

For once I didn’t want to cut off my own ears with a rusty spoon

Edited by bobbydazzla

11 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

DJ Onedeck was much better than usual

Playing some acceptable tunes via that new “submit your match anthem” thing:  Fender, Lindisfarne, Journey (not my cup of tea, but a crowd pleaser)

Rattled through the half time birthdays, rather than dragging it out for ages

Primal Scream at full time cos we won

No DJ Fucking Otzi

For once I didn’t want to cut off my own ears with a rusty spoon

Is it still the same bloke? Sounded like Steve from Steve & Karen. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Nah. I’m all for the good old take the man and the ball tackle. Yellows get dished out now for challenges that weren’t even fouls when I played regularly.

Whilst clattering the player after the ball used to be acceptable, it was always the case that first contact had to be with the ball.

54 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

Whilst clattering the player after the ball used to be acceptable, it was always the case that first contact had to be with the ball.

Well yeah. I went on to say as much in my post? 

42 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Always seeing a goal, winning most home games and every game being competitive has made going to games such a great experience, and for me is one reason match going fans are not as neurotic as internet fans.

It was so depressing treking up so SJP to get battered by someone like Brighton, sneak wins against shit teams and get pulverised by the top teams

View From The Lane is a delicious listen in entitlement. 

• They’re much superior across all points
  • Their defence was outstanding and should never been beaten 
  • Bucktooth Brennan ruined us like Dan Levy against pensioners where he correctly removed their concessions which was adored by Spurs fans
  • We’re shite aside from upfront and our midfield is atrocious

Consensus in press and other fan forums is that we're pretty poor and been very lucky so far this season. The Times match report described our points accumulation as 'unsustainable', and that Spurs ran us ragged. They twice mentions Spurs hit the woodwork, but didn't Isak as well?

Edited by Turnbull2000

13 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Consensus in press and other fan forums is that we're pretty poor and been very luck so far this season. The Times match report described our points accumulation as 'unsustainable', and that Spurs ran us ragged. They twice mentions Spurs hit the woodwork, but didn't Isak as well?

[emoji38]  We haven't even got going yet!

Did they hit the woodwork aside from the total fluke off Longstaff, or whoever it was?

It's correct that our results aren't sustainable but the difference is that you'd back us to pick up rather than stay the same. 

30 minutes ago, Disco said:

View From The Lane is a delicious listen in entitlement. 

• They’re much superior across all points
  • Their defence was outstanding and should never been beaten 
  • Bucktooth Brennan ruined us like Dan Levy against pensioners where he correctly removed their concessions which was adored by Spurs fans
  • We’re shite aside from upfront and our midfield is atrocious

[emoji38]

Looking forward to more Views From The Lane

I don't know about you guys, but i'd definitely class a defense that let an attacker be completely unmarked in the middle of the box, as well as let a simple through ball straight down the middle of the pitch completely undo them, as "Outstanding".

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

Madders would have hacked Joe down if he wasn’t on a yellow. Played it’s part too.