Our future, Howe vs Mitchell

Kid Icarus

Our direction: Howe vs Mitchell   

210 members have voted

1. 1. Howe or Mitchell?

• Howe
    • Mitchell

Sounds dramatic but just getting in there first and curious about the general feeling.

Edit: saying as some don't like the wording. Of course 'they'll work together' is an option I'd imagine the overwhelming majority would choose, but in the interests of not splitting the vote this is very much an 'if it comes down to it' poll.

I don't see the harm in seeing what the temperature is, considering this discussion is already happening and has been for a while in the Howe and Mitchell threads.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Get ya popcorn out, I’ll probably get my first ban if I see anyone actually truly attempting to voice a coherent position on why Mitchell should be backed over Howe based on the sum total of recruitment at other clubs in the past. 

Mitchell's reputation has long exceeded his actual record, and he has not demonstrated the ability to lead a successful analytics operation—something you're increasingly dead without. Howe may or may not be the answer, but his achievements at this club are remarkable, and I couldn't care less about Mitchell.

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'd like a 'they will work together well' option please. 

PS terrible thread.

Agree, we need a third option. I think Howe's a great manager, but we do need to get away from 'the manager runs everything' model. At least as long as we are being forced to operate under the current financial restrictions.

I've not been on the football section all day, and purposely avoided it after the football. Based on this thread I assume the reaction to our first loss of the season has been level headed and calm? :lol:

Ok hypothetically? We have to operate within PSR (unless something changes) so need to work to a model of finding and signing undervalued talent.

We need a manager who can work within that system to accept the signings and develop them. DOF and Manager have to be aligned regarding that. Under PSR with Howe we’ll be a position 5-8 side signing 1-2 established players, enough to maintain but not enough to push on.

I want the best for NUFC. Howes done a great job but we can’t spend enough to get him the players he wants to move to the next level. With the DOF model we may be able to move up the rungs by unearthing talent and bring it into the squad or flipping for a profit to reinvest. 

Ideally they both put on their big boy pants and get on but if they can’t I’d chose Mitchell, not because I dislike Howe as I think he’s done a great job but  we need the DOF model to work to progress and if Howe hinders that then that halts our progress.

I think the world of his talent spotting and his record at Southampton, Spurs and RB, but his time at Monaco from 2020 onwards wasn’t perfect. There wasn’t Olmo or Mane there, maybe, yet. 

Poor question, poor thread.

The right answer is we’ll see the best version of NUFC if they figure out how to coexist.

There are few people in the world better suited to developing talent than Eddie Howe and the only way we can compete within the financial rules is to buy young, undervalued and lesser known players. Whether Mitchell’s ability in his role is equal to Eddie’s in his remains to be seen, but he’s been here five minutes. 

I don't see Howe being our long term answer in that I can't see him here in five years when expectations are super high (hope I'm wrong). But I could see him winning something here and I'm all for that over backing Mitchell who I know nothing about to be fair.

That's my answer to the question which I don't really think we need to be asking. :lol:

To be fair we all know that one of them will go at the end of this season.

Better change the question to who will be fired by PIF. No fans will support Mitchell at this moment but at the end of this season, our owner will decide whom he will support 

2 hours ago, Zero said:

Better change the question to who will be fired by PIF. No fans will support Mitchell at this moment but at the end of this season, our owner will decide whom he will support 

I don't think that's the case. Mitchell will certainly get more time, he's only here. :lol: Howe has every chance of turning performances around. Once this team clicks again we're going to be firing and I'll be surprised if we're not top 6. If he doesn't then he won't even make it until the end and rightly so probably. 

Edited by Decky

13 minutes ago, Zero said:

No. We don't. Is it a possibility? Of course. But is irritating how some of you speak with such confidence about a behind the scenes situation that you actually know very little about. Drives me crazy that I deal with it as part of my work situation just to see the usual suspects doing it here. No wonder that disinformation is running so rampant through civilization.