Newcastle United vs. Manchester City: 28/09/24 @ 12:30 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Might finally be playing a team where our tactics actually match up quite well.  Playing direct over the top on the break got a fair bit of joy against them last season. 

The problem is.  We haven't looked like ourselves and the goals we have conceded have been very weak.  There has been due to so many mistakes, individually and collectively.  We'll get an absolute hammering if the defending across the pitch is the same or similar to the last 5 games. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Might finally be playing a team where our tactics actually match up quite well.  Playing direct over the top on the break got a fair bit of joy against them last season. 

The problem is.  We haven't looked like ourselves and the goals we have conceded have been very weak.  There has been due to so many mistakes, individually and collectively.  We'll get an absolute hammering if the defending across the pitch is the same or similar to the last 5 games. 

This issue has been I’m not sure what our tactics have supposed to have been.

40 minutes ago, Erikse said:

The annoying part is that even if we play close to our best, and even with no Rodri on their side, this lot still beats us 95% of the time.

Sure but they beat every team 95% of the time, so it’s not personal. 

Fancy ourselves to score a couple, but are we defensively strong enough to hold out Man City? Not on current form.

Probably go 2-1 Man City, good battle first 60, before Man City take sting out the game, riding a few nervy moments.

Pope: Trippier, Schar, Burn, Tino: Tonali, Bruno, Joelinton: Barnes, Isak, Murphy

Gordon dropped, with Tino at LB, seeing the coming inside will happen often and it's onto stronger side.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

This issue has been I’m not sure what our tactics have supposed to have been.

Yeah. Can’t disagree. 

I was more meaning the tactics we have used against City previously have had a bit of success, at times.

We’ll have to sit deep a lot of the time due to their dominance on the ball. It’s just whether we look to press high when the opportunity presents itself. As we have been brave with that against them under Howe in a few games.

Also, the direct approach that created two goals and a couple of chances in this fixture last season. Before we ran out of steam and conceded our customary late goal. 

It would just be nice to see some sort of performance and something to build on. 

The smarter move is probably to sit deeper, narrow the pitch, and get in behind with our pace, but I want to see us get right at them. I don't know where the fuck our physicality has gone but we need to find it; it's been weird seeing some of our lot bounce off players recently.

I think you could play Willock and Joelinton alongside Bruno for this one as we will likely be decently penned in for stretches - their jobs will be simpler defensively compared to Fulham/games where we'll have more of the ball, and they have good legs to get us on the break.

I'd still be picking one or the other for this though as I want to see Sandro's one-time passing setting us up for quicker attacks.

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Free hit really, expecting a defeat so just want to see some battle and a better performance to give us something to build on. 

You can call it a free hit, but we need a performance now no matter the opposition.

“I don’t think it will be long,” Guardiola said of De Bruyne’s expected return after City’s 2-2 draw with Arsenal. “I cannot say how long for, I don’t know for Newcastle but it won’t be long. (He has) discomfort in his legs,” he added.

--------

Seems very unlikely they rush him back for Saturday IMO.

It'll be a repeat of last season no doubt where despite being absolutely crap when it mattered to us in the cup final, he was able to get off the bench after an injury and win the game single-handedly at SJP.