Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

I fear Eddie has possibly become too predictable tactics/formation wise. Maybe we are more cautious because of last seasons injuries, but at same time no Wilson to score when Isak isn't or not available isn't helping.

Hard to be hard on Eddie as we are decent in many ways, but really underwhelming in others. Hard to workout specifically the element wrong. We look quite spaced out in opposition half and man on ball gets two closing down quick. Seem to struggle to play the quality of pass to penetrate. We try some passes that seem more ambitious than our form currently, partly due to lack of off the ball options to make passing options/triangles.

We seem to contain them well be pretty tame at going forward. With quality passing or attacking from Schar, Trippier, Tonali, Bruno, Barnes and Gordon it feels like we should be playing a higher standard football when attacking.

Don't get what you all watched. Thought we were quite decent, fluid, nice passing, we created chances. Yes couldn't put them away but can't blame Gordon. He's not really a CF and he was playing against Everton... I mean if any of you wouldn't be affected by that you aren't human! 

Dominated, played well, didn't win = unhappy.

Won, didn't play well = unhappy. 

Can't win! 

Genuinely haven't a clue how we were 'really poor' at all. We controlled the game, moved the ball well, won the ball back time after time, created several good chances and ultimately should have won. Agree that it's a bad result because terrible opponents are opportunities for three points, but I see very little to dig out there. Stick Isak in and it's three points no question. 

Just now, Andy84 said:

This place revels in misery like 

:lol: aye, you go and toss yourself off into a frenzy about one point away to an absolutely shit rag tag relegation fodder outfit. It's a shit result and if you think the negative reaction isn't justified, you're mental.

Probably the first match this season where we’ve genuinely looked like the better team over the 90 mins. Very underwhelming in the final third though with passes going astray. Absolutely criminal going into the season with only Isak and Wilson, both injured before the end of September, one was already injured weeks before the transfer window closed. The third choice striker is in fact 4th choice at best and is a ‘project player’. 

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

Poor, really poor.

Again.

I don't understand this. We were poor in forward areas, the final ball being pathetic at times, but the midfield movement and playing out from the back was the best we've been this season.

We were far from really poor imo.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'm pissed off with that mind, the lack of quality in the final third this season has been woeful, even when we have had Isak available. How the fuck Murphy and Almiron are still the first choice right wingers is unreal. 

Yeah it’s mental that those two are our right wingers this far into the takeover. Wilson needs moving on too, his injury record is beyond a joke now (caveat - I kind of understand why with PSR we kept hold of him this season as a number, has to go end of this season)

Can't fault the tactics, approach and most of our play right up until the final ball or shot, which was exclusively honking, up to and including a fucking penalty.

Off the ball, pressing, defending, winning duels, movement, most of the passing, intent, working openings: all either good, decent, or noticeably better.

Final ball, final shot, positioning in the box: all so poor you can barely believe it.

Not one for me to get too pissed off about, mainly because the big issue this season I've been worried about has been performances more than results. For me that was far better than Wolves, but with a worse result; swings and roundabouts.

Pope: 7

Trippier: 6.5

Schär: 6

Burn: 7

Hall: 6

Bruno: 6.5

Joelinton: 7.5

Tonali: 5

Murphy: 6 Almiron: 6.5

Gordon: 5

Barnes: 6.5 Willock: 6

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Andy84 said:

This place revels in misery like 

It’s really gone up a few levels since the takeover. There used to be lots to be miserable about so it was often justified but people going on like that was a terrible performance when the only issue was finishing and final balls is a joke. Of course it’s frustrating as fuck we threw away a lot of good opportunities but the fitness levels, passing triangles, movement, press and tactics were hugely improved today 

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

:lol: aye, you go and toss yourself off into a frenzy about one point away to an absolutely shit rag tag relegation fodder outfit. It's a shit result and if you think the negative reaction isn't justified, you're mental.

Pilko, it takes absolutely nowt for you to leap to everything being way worse than it is. Just chill out, man. :lol:

It's a poxy result because Everton are crap but Goodison is usually a nightmare for us. A point and a good performance is never a disaster on the road, let alone there. 

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Fuck off [emoji38]

Not the result we deserved but can't fault the performance and application overall.

Night and day from our usual visits to Goodison.

Obviously a lack of composure when in decent positions, and no one gambling into the box. Could probably have a 2 minute montage of cutbacks to no one in particular.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Genuinely haven't a clue how we were 'really poor' at all. 

It was a step up from the other away games, but at the same time Everton is so poor. We should have won, but there was plenty of moments we gave the ball away for fun. Two points lost.