Newcastle 2 - 2 West Ham - Post match thoughts

Guest nufc 4 life

Another poor performance for the most part, although the comeback spirit shown again was creditable. We did get slightly lucky I thought with our goals, but then again we hit the post a couple of times and could have sneaked it in the end.

Same problem, poor defending. Ramage going off was probably a good thing for us, Edgar and Hunty looked far more solid.

It is a bit ironic reading the post-match angst from that bloated London-based Russian mob team crying about their desperate need for defenders during the transfer window and how weakened they are due to injury...PLEASE...

Thought we defended quite well after Ramage went off. Hunty and Edgar certainly look like a partnership, and covered very well for each other. Carr surprised me 2nd half as well. Wasn;t good, but just wasn't that shite. Slowed the pace down well when we needed to, but also did it when we needed to speed things up a little.

Nicky Butt unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions. Excellent that we;re scoring from midfield these days...it's a good sign.

Other than that, we should have beaten that load of shite who only had a decent midfield trio to even cause a threat: Coker, Benayoun and Quashie. The rest are a right shower. No. I don't want Anton Ferdinand here just yet. Not the type of defender we need right now.

Bring in Curtis Davies who is a man mountain. We need some strength back there. Put a serious offer in for Baines and get it over with. 10M should have the pair in.

Just got back so here goes:

Given:7 Wasn't a fault for either goal, went off injured.

Nobby:8 Had no help in the first half but linked up well with Milner, got an assist and a goal.

Ramage:5 I'm a big fan but the lad had a shocker. His injury effectively saved our game today.

Huntington:6 Looks far more comfortable at centre back.

Carr:7 Had a very good game out of position. For once he took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second half and looked like one of our more commited players.

Milner:9 Thats 3 in 4 i believe. This kid is turning into a man before our very eyes. Fantastic performance.

Butt:6 Found a rythm eventually with Parker in the second half but never really looked dominant.

Parker:6 Wasn't having a good game until he started making forward runs in the second half.

O'Brien:5 Looks quick but was caught out of position a couple of times and showed a lack of confidence on the front foot. Faultless effort.

Dyer:7 Again, a much better second half as the game opened up.

Martins:7 Gave the ball away more than any other player but caused alot of problems with his sharp feet. Had a couple of shots saved.

Subs:

Edgar:7 Looked our best centre back on his arrival.

Harper:6 Did what he had to.

Thoughts: Sloppy defending let us down again. Some good character and forward play shown. Ferdinand would make a good partner for Taylor.

Now dont start Verbally attacking me im just interested to see what u all think, last season i thought Milner looked good for Villa but i did say that he was a good player in a poor team thats why he stood out and its not that i dont rate the lad coz i think he is a real good prospect however i feel the same about him now as i did last season, he for me has been our player so far but only coz he is playing in a poor team

Now dont start Verbally attacking me im just interested to see what u all think, last season i thought Milner looked good for Villa but i did say that he was a good player in a poor team thats why he stood out and its not that i dont rate the lad coz i think he is a real good prospect however i feel the same about him now as i did last season, he for me has been our player so far but only coz he is playing in a poor team

All the lad can do is play well. Whether that be in a poor team such as villa or ourselves. He hasn't been given a chance to play well in a good team because he has never played in one. After todays performance he's got massively up in my estimation. He's scored 3 in 4 and i hope it continues.

All the lad can do is play well. Whether that be in a poor team such as villa or ourselves. He hasn't been given a chance to play well in a good team because he has never played in one. After todays performance he's got massively up in my estimation. He's scored 3 in 4 and i hope it continues.

Yeah i agree, i think his potential is massive

Was the 7th most productive player in the league last season and when you consider those above him had a lot better people in front of them to finish off the chances thats no mean feat.

Top 7 were (cant remember the exact order but its to show the quality of players):

Drogba, Henry, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Boa Morte, Milner....

Was the 7th most productive player in the league last season and when you consider those above him had a lot better people in front of them to finish off the chances thats no mean feat.

Top 7 were (cant remember the exact order but its to show the quality of players):

Would probably have been higher if not for his illness late in the season, which kept him out for about a month I think.

I like him a lot personally.

Would probably have been higher if not for his illness late in the season, which kept him out for about a month I think.

I like him a lot personally.

Yeah forgot about that. I think because it wasn't for us a few people just write it off as "if its not in the black and white shirt then im not bothered what he does" but it showed he had the ability to do something when given a run and shown people have confidence in him. With the stupid prices of English players these days we would have been mental to flog him for £4m!

Luque has to be granted a start dow the left as many people have been tryed out there and still all the play has to came down the right. Obrein, Dyer, pattinson the sib none of them has been productive. Roeder will never be a great manager if he doesn't learn to put his personal grievances behind him!!

Guest Keithy-Boy

Milner is doin great recently imo...apart from some of his crosses they need improvement like. no1 can question his workrate or effort tho

Luque has to be granted a start dow the left as many people have been tryed out there and still all the play has to came down the right. Obrein, Dyer, pattinson the sib none of them has been productive. Roeder will never be a great manager if he doesn't learn to put his personal grievances behind him!!

Yeah, I was thinking that on the way back from the game.  We're getting ripped apart down our left time and time again; O'Brien doesn't look ready, Pattinson certainly doesn't look ready.. in the absence of Zoggy and Duff (although tbh I can't say I'm particularly missing Duff), surely Luque is worth a go, interested or not.  Robert didn't look interested for his last six months, but he still brought something to the team which the reserve lads just aren't at the minute :(

I dont thik Patterson can make it on the left, through the middle though i do, looked good when he moved inside down at B/ham

Okay, he scored. But answer me this; how many times did Milner put in a decent cross or get past a player today?

The Motm award baffled me. I thought Martins had a much better game, considering he was denied any service. He could have had a hat-trick today, from opportunities that were barely half-chances. Unfortunately the way he effortlessly trapped, spun and hit the ball in one swift movement was met by the quick reactions of Carroll - Whose sponsorship deal with Nobo contractually obligated him to play dressed as a highlighter pen. Carroll spoilt his impressive shot-stopping display and services to promote office supplies by blatantly wasting time every time he received the ball in open play.

Parker and Butt were poor - They just huffed and puffed to little success. They didn't provide any protection to the back four or provide any service to the forwards as Martins and Dyer dropped back deep because they wouldn't have received the ball otherwise. Martins as I said did his best to turn shit into gold, but Dyer struggled to make any impact other than win free-kicks at the edge of the box, which Rennie's inablility to move the wall the required ten yards back rendered useless.

Huntington and Edgar were the least experienced of the five who played in defence, yet looked the most composed. Solano seemed to desperately fling at everything and put us into bother with ropey clearances. Carr was played out of position, but I was particularly miffed when he let a ball go out of play for a throw-in rather than attempt to trap it with his left, needlessly putting us under pressure. And was it any coincidence that we conceded our two goals when Ramage was on the field?

Alan O'Brien's decent display made the decision to play the patently inferior Matty Pattison out of position - His natural position being in the crowd with the rest of us - even more strange.

I don't really agree that Hunty and Edgar looked solid. You can't expect much given their inexperience, but we looked shaky down the centre all through the game. I'd give a bit of credit to Huntington though, because despite the fact that he was struggling, he kept challenging and taking responsibility. Both of them need to fill out a bit before they can be a trusted partnership in defence.

O'Brien I thought improved as the game went on, and has earned another chance.

I thought Reo-Coker was outstanding. If we have any chance of signing him, I'd take it.

Thought Milner had another good game. The best thing about today is that we didn't just roll over and die, but upped our game and got back at them. It could've gone either way in the end, but it turned out to be a decent match after a shitty start.

Anyone else think Martins' touch today was awful?

Guest Ridzuan

I dont think Martin's touch yesterday was awful.He should get a goal yesterday but Carrol was at his best and the there was one time where the ball hit the post.Anyway back to the game,the 1st half was poor,I thought we were going to get humiliated again,but thank god we didnt.Milner's goal should be ruled off but I dont care.We played much much better in the 2nd half,and I think we were unlucky not to win the game.I also hope that Given's injury is not a serious one.

I dont think Martin's touch yesterday was awful.He should get a goal yesterday but Carrol was at his best and the there was one time where the ball hit the post.Anyway back to the game,the 1st half was poor,I thought we were going to get humiliated again,but thank god we didnt.Milner's goal should be ruled off but I dont care.We played much much better in the 2nd half,and I think we were unlucky not to win the game.I also hope that Given's injury is not a serious one.

some of his touches in fashioning chances were world-class, though in open play he was a little bit sloppy but it would be harsh to say awful.