Most disappointing toon player

Liam Liam Liam O

Cort,Viana,Luque,Boumsong

£33m spend on them

All came with great expectations but all of them were big dissapointments

When i think that we spend  £33m for 4 players :idiot2: :idiot2:

I still cant understand why SBR signed Viana for almost £9m when at that time we had Robert who was playing great for us?

i'd still say nicky butt (thought he would be the one player we'd need to challenge for the title) or kluivert

has been really crap all season while others have been playing out of there skins. :knob:

based on his first season :knob:

still think  based on what we were expecting he was shite for that first 12 months????!!!! :knob:

if we sign a player and he fails to live up to expectations and is generally crap for his stay i would agree and butt does not fall into this catagory.he was hugely dissapointing in his first stint with us and then loaned out came back and has been arguably the toons most consistantly good performer this season and how many others can say the same .and as for nicky butt being a player to help us challenge for the title well if im not mistaken he needs to be surrounded by more class players and a manager capable of challenging for it and souness and roeder clearly are not. :banghead:

It's an interesting question. I'd say Boumsong, with Mirandinha and Marcelino close behind.

I really did have high expectations of Boumsong, and right from the start he disappointed.

have to disagree there, he played really well when he 1st came

IMO another reason for Boumsong's poor performance is the fact that he was managed by one of the worst managers in the history of NUFC

I think that if Boumsong was that shit then Didier Deshamps wouldnt take him to Juventus

Mirandinha  :2funny: :2funny:

Who I still remember for a perfectly taken last minute penalty to get us a 2-1 win at Anfield.

The ONLY highlight of an atrocious season. (The norm, it seems - supporting Newcastle)

I still cant understand why SBR signed Viana for almost £9m when at that time we had Robert who was playing great for us?

Viana was hardly a winger though despite being shoved out there for the majority of his rare outings. He said himself often enough that his position was more central.

Going on the initial criteria,  IE - the player doesn't necassarily have to be a bad one - i think i'd go for Woodgate, actually.

Woodgate was the one player who was going to sort out our defense, and when he played, that was evident. It was a fantastic signing at the time, and we got him for a very good price considering his obvious quality.

It was tradgic what happened, or what didn't happen, to Woodgate at Newcastle. He could, and probably should, have been one of our greatest centre-backs. It was players like him that could have won us the title in the Bobby era.

Guest Knightrider

Big Dunc, could have been a great, then Luque, Boumsong and Viana, although the latter can't be faulted for his failures, he had a good first season and was played as a winger in his second.

When Titus signed there was loads of hype that we'd signed a great player, who just needed to be polished into an england international.

I think most of us were dreading it when Bambi signed for us, and for 5m, it was one of those wtf signings. He got mauled on the last day of the season by Liverpool (when playing for Ipswich) I seem to remember and we all saw the horrendous errors he committed for Ipswich.

I don't think he's been the most disappointing player. I was always expecting him to make blunders since he joined us just like he did for Ipswich

i'm surprised kluivert hasn't had more mentions.  i had high hopes for lots of technically brilliant goals to make their way onto youtube with titles like "pk's hatrick vs the scum" etc... :sad3:  oh well...

i also agree with the shouts for boumsong.  anyone think that with a certain mr. pearson in charge of the defense jean-alian might get his good form back?

interesting choice of woodgate, wouldn't have thought of him myself, but his unrealised dominance for us has been disappointing. 

i also thought of bellamy, not for his footballing, but his antics.  GS's stubborn-arse attitude aside, craig wanked up big time...

Cort,Viana,Luque,Boumsong

£33m spend on them

All came with great expectations but all of them were big dissapointments

When i think that we spend  £33m for 4 players :idiot2: :idiot2:

Because Viana's a centre midfielder and at the time was rated as one of the hottest prospects of continental football.

Viana was supposed to be Speed's replacement, but SBR's never had the confidence in him to put him in the middle. As for Bramble, I don't know anybody who was actually happy we had signed him, and what has occured since then has been so predictable.

Viana was supposed to be Speed's replacement, but SBR's never had the confidence in him to put him in the middle. As for Bramble, I don't know anybody who was actually happy we had signed him, and what has occured since then has been so predictable.

Has it? from what i remember he was touted as one of the best young center halfs in the league, Bobby Robson was our current manager so from my view i didn't see any reason why he wouldn't succeed here, obviously in hindsight we can see how poor he has been but as i said i had no reason to believe he would fail.

Did you not watch him the 18 months before he came to us?

That was why people didn't want him, he was just about the worse defender in the premiership the season before he joined us.

He was living on the hype of a good first half of the 2000-01 season and the fact that Ipswich did incredibly well.