Babel in part exchange with Luque

Unbelievable

I don´t have time to translate as I´m off to bed, but most of the reactions are in favour of this move, and that should tell its own story. They, like me, don´t think he´s good enough for this level..

Fuking great.

I heard he was the next Henry as well!

well if arsenal were linked as being keen then its pritty much a good sign that he is good enough lets hope if we do get him he turns into a martins and not a viana

I don´t have time to translate as I´m off to bed, but most of the reactions are in favour of this move, and that should tell its own story. They, like me, don´t think he´s good enough for this level..

Fuking great.

I heard he was the next Henry as well!

well if arsenal were linked as being keen then its pritty much a good sign that he is good enough lets hope if we do get him he turns into a martins and not a viana

Lots of pace, athletic and tall, apparently a copy of Henry.

That kind of player, as long as he's some ball control will do canny in the EPL.

But coming here is the wrong move, we couldn't nurture his talent, he's better off going to Wenger, he'll look after him and turn him in to the next Henry if hehas it in him. We would turn him in to the next Jenas, Viana, Luque etc...

Guest SmileyCulture

I'd like to see him enough games to get settled in the prem for us before really taking anyones word on what sort of player he looks like. Ajax, Their style of play and the dutch league are all completely different to us, he could play infinately better here or infinately worse - theres no real way of knowing till he comes (if he comes) and theres no point making your mind up about him until he's settled.. It's been said a few times that hes similar to Martins with Raw talent to work with, if we can work with Martins/Babel at the same time and mould them into the finnished project together they will make a great partnership imho.

Lots of pace, athletic and tall, apparently a copy of Henry.

That kind of player, as long as he's some ball control will do canny in the EPL.

But coming here is the wrong move, we couldn't nurture his talent, he's better off going to Wenger, he'll look after him and turn him in to the next Henry if hehas it in him. We would turn him in to the next Jenas, Viana, Luque etc...

I would hope that the younger players would take him under their wings and help him bed in, the difference between luque and babel is that he is young and raw luque plodded himself over here with abit of a reputation and i have a feeling wouldnt have bothered to gell. As for Jenas well we all know he is a glory hunter jumped on the band wagon when we were flying high and then he wanted out and off to london to supposedly advance his international carear which i dont think he will ever do. Viana well I just think he was young yes, raw yes did he gell well who can say except people in the club i suspect that the arguement the press made about him being played out of position thinking he was comming here as a 9 million signing would garentee him to slot straight into speeds place and wasnt going to wait round for 2/3 seasons to get a solid run in the team.

Babel from Babelfish!:

http://www.ad.nl/sport/article1034363.ece

English offer worth millions on Babel MARCEL OF OF THE TAP NEWCASTLE/Amsterdam - sell United Ajax definitely today or the Ryan Babel to Newcastle and Spanish... Ryan Babel in duel with Dominique Kivuvu van NEC. PHOTOGRAPH ANP... international Albert Luque takes over League of the English club from the premier. Newcastle want pay seven millions euro for Babel and Luque in so-called ` package package-deal. President Freddy Shepherd van Newcastle United confirmed yesterday evening that there are discussions proceeding and that he has to much obtain Babel to United Kingdom. Also technical director Martin of yolk of Ajax confirms that there is interest of Newcastle for Babel, but of yolk says that the British club has laid down official offer still no. Ryan Babel (20) is already lasting several weeks with the control of Ajax in conversation concerning lengthening of its contract. Oranje-international the weet that he the confidence has Henk of coach at Cate, but he has also ears to a removal to United Kingdom. During the winter top visited he a game of Arsenal, where its bosom friend Robin van Persie plays. Babel has observed which progressie Van Persie, and also peak hours have made such as Dirk Kuyt in United Kingdom. The player is also lured by the salaries worth millions in the premier League. Babel receives salary at Ajax records and is possible with its transfer to Newcastle in a time miljonair becomes. On Saint James park one gasps to new peak hours. Michael Owen the complete season have been already injured and substitutes have - with exception of the nigeriaan Obefemi Martins - have been disappointed. Van Luque, that came in 2005, for 15 millions euro of Deportivo drawer Coruna - the club wants finished. He cannot earth in United Kingdom. A transfer to PSV did not continue recently. PRINT REACTS SEND a FRIEND

I've seen Babel play a couple of times in the flesh and a lot on TV and as far as I'm concerned he's the real deal. He's strong, he's quick and he's got stacks of skills. He scored a number of magnificent individual goals in the last few seasons and gets the odd tap in as well.

At Ajax they have an addiction to 4-3-3 which means Babel ends up playing on the left wing trying to provide service to Huntelaar in the middle. To these English eyes Babel has the build and mentality to be an out an out striker, the kind of number 9 the Dutch don't like to produce (even Van Nisterlrooy has always said he wanted to be a number 10 like Bergkamp/Cryuff), and looks wasted on the wing.

Bearing in mind that he's only 20 I'd suggest that he's not going to be quite in the Martins class the moment we sign him, but he'll certainly be able to do a job up front. Within a few years if he develops well he could easily be a regular 20 goals a season player.

Sadly I can't support this move as my wife (Ajax fan) will never forgive me. Especially if we give them Luque.

Guest elbee909

Funny, the bit about NUFC being the "Graveyard of your career" doesn't bug me so much. But I think one of those Ajax asses calls Newcastle the "Feyenoord of England".

Now, that is below the belt. Piss off!

Yeah, it's definitely insulting to Feyenoord.

I've seen Babel play a couple of times in the flesh and a lot on TV and as far as I'm concerned he's the real deal. He's strong, he's quick and he's got stacks of skills. He scored a number of magnificent individual goals in the last few seasons and gets the odd tap in as well.

At Ajax they have an addiction to 4-3-3 which means Babel ends up playing on the left wing trying to provide service to Huntelaar in the middle. To these English eyes Babel has the build and mentality to be an out an out striker, the kind of number 9 the Dutch don't like to produce (even Van Nisterlrooy has always said he wanted to be a number 10 like Bergkamp/Cryuff), and looks wasted on the wing.

Bearing in mind that he's only 20 I'd suggest that he's not going to be quite in the Martins class the moment we sign him, but he'll certainly be able to do a job up front. Within a few years if he develops well he could easily be a regular 20 goals a season player.

Sadly I can't support this move as my wife (Ajax fan) will never forgive me. Especially if we give them Luque.

What class do you think Martins is in, exactly?

Guest smoggeordie

The "Scares shit out of defenders, 10 goals in first half a season in english football while on his own without family and friends, moves to a new culture for a challenge at the age of 21, leaps like a salmon for a small guy, capable of brilliance" class. You?

Guest Ridzuan

Daily mail is saying that we are closing in on a 5M bid for him.

Yeah i read that. Do you have a link to the article?

Newcastle are on the verge of completing their first transfer window signing with the £5million capture of Ajax striker Ryan Babel.

The deal will see out-of-favour striker Albert Luque move to Ajax, ending a miserable 18 months on Tyneside.

The arrival of Babel will delight manager Glenn Roeder who has been desperate to find a quality strike partner for summer signing Obafemi Martins.

The towering 20-yearold is a product of Ajax's famed youth system.

Such was his impact at an early age that Holland coach Marco van Basten brought him into the Dutch squad before he had played a senior game for Ajax.

Van Basten said: "He has the potential to become the next Thierry Henry."

Having made his debut for Ajax at 17, Babel has made more than 60 appearances for the Dutch side, playing mostly in an unfavoured left-wing position.

Ajax had been keen for Babel to extend his contract beyond 2008, but it became clear he has his heart set on the Premiership.

Roeder has Arsenal forward Robin van Persie partly to thank for Babel's readiness to move to the North-East.

The pair are friends and on a recent visit to The Emirates, Van Persie helped convince Babel to play in England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=432148&in_page_id=1779

Sounds like Roeder has heard on the grapevine that Babel is looking for a move to England, and with Arsenal not making a move, he has decided to have a go, as it will probably be our only opportunity to sign him if he is meant to be that good.

He's clearly a top class player. Can get better too which is exciting! Slow start but getting to grips with a totally new home/club/league/style of play/language etc

Able to lead a line, score goals and play 90 minutes week in week out. Babel will need a bit of time to settle and those two years younger are a big two years. I wouldn't want him trying to do the job Martins is doing at the moment where he's the focus for the whole attack and under huge pressure. In a few years time though ...

You know exactly what will happen if we sign him and he doesn't score at least a hat trick in his first game and play at least 9/10 of the games when he's here....

You know exactly what will happen if we sign him and he doesn't score at least a hat trick in his first game and play at least 9/10 of the games when he's here....

Yes..a Luque, but atleast Babel is 8 years younger. I just hope that Roeder gives Babel the same amount of patience and faith that he gave to Martins, since it's his singing, he most likely will..

But about this Babel lad, can he play as a target-man? Is he strong in the air? Is he physical enough and does he hold up play and link up well enough to be an ideal partner for Martins?

Yes..a Luque, but atleast Babel is 8 years younger. I just hope that Roeder gives Babel the same amount of patience and faith that he gave to Martins, since it's his singing, he most likely will..

But about this Babel lad, can he play as a target-man? Is he strong in the air? Is he physical enough and does he hold up play and link up well enough to be an ideal partner for Martins?

Why is everyone thinking Martins is like some sort of footballing god?  Is it just me that thinks he's still got a lot to prove?

Why is everyone thinking Martins is like some sort of footballing god?  Is it just me that thinks he's still got a lot to prove?

I do hope that was a poor attempt at a joke, yes he is raw but the amount of goals and assists he has got when he has started in a new league at 22 years of age and lots or random and sub standard strike partners is pretty impressive! If Babel comes in and makes the same impact we will be very lucky!