Babel in part exchange with Luque

Unbelievable

lol thats just the newcastle way mr. karate kuyt...

The thing is...with us...you can have watched a player a billion times and he would rock the show every game and we sign him....and booom he goes to shit....and sometimes we sign a player who some of us have seen a few times and isn't great and BOOOM he rocks all of our socks off...

I remember with martins some people were like "waaah i've seen him play and he is god awful"

Its a mixed bag....always with transfers...

Guest Verlaine

Oh no..

The two people on this board who've seen most of him are not impressed by him, yet everybody else is jumping with joy because the Van Basten has once likened him to Henry: a ridiculous comparision by all accounts and perfectly understandable if you look at many other strange decisions and comments MvB has made in his tenure as Holland manager..

If you're one of the people that have seen most of him, I'll produce as Exhibit A the fact that you rate Luque as good enough reason to disregard your opinion.  :cheesy:

Alternatively, if he rates Luque and not Babel, then Babel must REALLY be shit.

Oh no..

The two people on this board who've seen most of him are not impressed by him, yet everybody else is jumping with joy because the Van Basten has once likened him to Henry: a ridiculous comparision by all accounts and perfectly understandable if you look at many other strange decisions and comments MvB has made in his tenure as Holland manager..

If you're one of the people that have seen most of him, I'll produce as Exhibit A the fact that you rate Luque as good enough reason to disregard your opinion.  :cheesy:

Look at it this way.. Luque was a good player before he joined us and was never given the chance to prove himself. Babel isn't a good player to start with. What makes you think he will do OK for us?

Okay... so because Karate_Kuyt doesn't rate Babel, while the likes of Wenger, van Basten and Roeder clearly do (to varying extents), we shouldn't sign him? I thought Sibierski was pure shite before we bought him, but he's done fairly well. I thought Duff was ace before we signed him and he hasn't done much of anything at all, yet.

Transfers aren't an exact science, there isn't "right" or "wrong" and none of us know for sure how things will turn out, so it's ridiculous for you to be so against signing someone based on nowt but your personal opinion of the bloke.

Guest Gemmill

Oh no..

Look at it this way.. Luque was a good player before he joined us and was never given the chance to prove himself. Babel isn't a good player to start with. What makes you think he will do OK for us?

I've never seen the lad play mate.  I'm not really arsed either way if we get him.  

If the Ireland manager came out and said Alan O'Brien is the new Arjen Robben (the comparison based on pace and nothing else) and fans on a foreign fan board were getting all excited at the prospect of signing him, would you tell them he's certainly going to make it at the top level or would you tell them not to bother (if it wasn't in Newcastle's interest of course to sell him)?

If the Ireland manager came out and said Alan O'Brien is the new Arjen Robben (the comparison based on pace and nothing else) and fans on a foreign fan board were getting all excited at the prospect of signing him, would you tell them he's certainly going to make it at the top level or would you tell them not to bother (if it wasn't in Newcastle's interest of course to sell him)?

Are you a Feyenoord fan by any chance? or PSV? :o

Guest Gemmill

That's one way of looking at it.  Another way of looking at it is if I was talking to a PSV fan right now, I'd be telling them that the best thing that could happen to them today is if Luque's deal fell on its arse and they got away from signing him.  You'd be telling them they were signing a top player who just needed a chance to shine.  Just as you're now telling us that this Babel lad is shite.  It's all just opinions.

Fair enough, people might not have seen much of this lad, but fans at clubs will ALWAYS get excited at the prospect of a new signing.  A young Dutch international from Ajax fits the bill for someone to spark some excitement.  

I've never said he's certainly going to make it, I've also never said he's going to be a complete waste of time, which seems to be your message (the latter). How can we know for sure?

In my eyes we are potentially about to sign someone who is generally regarded as of the hottest properties in football (in his age bracket) for a very good price indeed. Not just from what van Basten has said but also from what other posters on this board have said (who have also seen him play a fair bit) and the fact that Babel carries this sort of reputation, I am fairly pleased that we might be getting him in.

In my eyes it is set-up in a similar manner to the Martins deal, although at a far smaller price. (Martins was also frozen out of the first-team picture at a top-class club and had nothing but his reputation going for him, he certainly hadn't set the world alight in Italy - otherwise Inter wouldn't have sold him.) There are similarities here.

At Babel's age, his value shouldn't diminish gigantically and even if he does fairly well here (gets played often, scores his share of goals and shows signs of developing) then his value might even go up a significant amount. To me it seems like a potentially sound investment by the club, who are desperate for a versatile forward player.

It's not like we're paying mega-money for him, either, so I really don't understand your objection. He can't be purely "shite" every time he plays football otherwise we wouldn't be in for him, he wouldn't play for Ajax and he certainly wouldn't have been capped by the Netherlands.

To offer a bit more perspective on this, I certainly don't think Luque is a "shite" footballer, either. I never claim, like some, that I could do a better job than him on a football pitch. I think his attitude has let him down here and his relationship with Roeder has deteriorated to such an extent that he will probably never play for us again, even if his move to PSV doesn't happen.

I don't particularly like Luque much because I don't think he's done himself justice, or the shirt justice, but I'm not daft enough to say he'd be an awful signing for PSV because he might well flourish in that league, with that type of football and with those team-mates/manager. I just don't know.

It's a fair assessment to say he's been shite for us, but who can say he will 100% categorically be shite for PSV? It's the same for Babel.

Oh no..

Okay... so because Karate_Kuyt doesn't rate Babel, while the likes of Wenger, van Basten and Roeder clearly do (to varying extents), we shouldn't sign him? I thought Sibierski was pure shite before we bought him, but he's done fairly well. I thought Duff was ace before we signed him and he hasn't done much of anything at all, yet.

Transfers aren't an exact science, there isn't "right" or "wrong" and none of us know for sure how things will turn out, so it's ridiculous for you to be so against signing someone based on nowt but your personal opinion of the bloke.

What!? So saying you wouldn't want for example Matthew Etterington here is a ridiculous thing to say because he might do well here, as highly improbable as it is?

I remember when Everton signed Andy van der Meijde and we were interested or according to some fans should have been in for him I also said we shouldn't bother. Look at what he's done.. It's not because they're from the Ajax academy they're necessarily superstars..

In the case of Babel, most of their fans say bite their hands off at the quoted 5 million. That should tell you something as well..

You honestly think Babel is no better than AOB?

I didn't day that, did I? Do you believe that he is the new Henry because Marco van Basten said so?

I was asking a question not having a go at you! I don't really know how good the lad is thats why I was asking someone who might know a bit more (ie you).

Guest Gemmill

Babel is in Newcastle according to someone on Toontastic

"606 Gossip" also say this.

link?

It's posted in this thread man Nobby, ffs.  READ.  :laugh:

It's not like we're paying mega-money for him, either, so I really don't understand your objection. He can't be purely "shite" every time he plays football otherwise we wouldn't be in for him, he wouldn't play for Ajax and he certainly wouldn't have been capped by the Netherlands.

You could say the same for Babayaro. The fact that he was picked for the national team after no more than 135 minutes of first team action could suggest he is an awesome player or it could suggest the Dutch manager doesn't know what he's doing. I've seen enough of him as a player and MvB as a manager to know where my money is.. It's a bit like Eriksson and Walcott: his selection for the World Cup wasn't exactly based on his on the pitch performances was it? Oh, and don't start saying Walcott has potential so Babel must have too..

Guest Brazilianbob

Sorry to pour cold water on this tenuous rumour, but I have it on very good authority (i.e. someone who has been to the Ajax training ground this morning) that Ryan Babel is currently training with his Ajax teamates in Amsterdam.

Guest Gemmill

Sorry to pour cold water on this tenuous rumour, but I have it on very good authority (i.e. someone who has been to the Ajax training ground this morning) that Ryan Babel is currently training with his Ajax teamates in Amsterdam.

Teleportation?  Heard of it???

I think the Piquionne deal is a smokescreen myself.

Newcastle want the media to be spying French airports so that no-one notices Babel and Emmanuelson and Huntelaar meeting up with Fat Fred at Liverpool St. Station.