Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Nah not really.  I personally wouldn't do it.  The only way i would change it is if there was a danger that a Spanish person wouldn't understand what i meant.  But that's not likely since i'm pretty sure the Spaniards are used to Brits and our shitty pronunciations by now.

Absolutely no need to try and sound intelligent or cool, or whatever it is these commentators are trying to achieve.

BTW I don't pronounce Valencia like "Balenthia" or Barcelona as "Barthelona", but it just seems an odd thing to have as a pet hate. And I don't think commentators are trying to sound intelligent or cool when they say it, they're just pronouncing it, well, correctly. :lol:

BTW I don't pronounce Valencia like "Balenthia" or Barcelona as "Barthelona", but it just seems an odd thing to have as a pet hate. And I don't think commentators are trying to sound intelligent or cool when they say it, they're just pronouncing it, well, correctly. :lol:

In that case i demand they start being consistant and call Munich "Munchen" and Paris "Paree" or however they say it. ?

In that case i demand they start being consistant and call Munich "Munchen" and Paris "Paree" or however they say it. ?

:thup:  Köln too

fwiw the same commentator who said "Balenthia" said Getafe with an English G. I assume (maybe wrongly?) it's like "Hetafe" in Spanish.  That's why it's a pet hate.. at least be consistent :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Would you be happy being referred to as 'Castillo Nuevo' by the Spanish?

Eh? Since when are pronunciation and translation the same thing?

Would you be happy being referred to as 'Castillo Nuevo' by the Spanish?

Eh? Since when are pronunciation and translation the same thing?

Ok then, "Noocasstlay" as that's probably the closest way you'd say our combination of letters using the way the Spanish would say it.