Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Fans, players and media who think "its coming home" means a trophy not the actual sport.

The clues in the next line "footballs coming home"

I don't think people necessary misunderstand the original meaning in 96 , I think the meaning has just evolved - particularly since 'it's coming home' became a sort of meme for England's hope of winning the Euros last year.

Those generic temporary podiums that half the ground can't see are one thing, but at Wembley where there's goddam steps and a balcony!?!

Generic tournament logos. Ciao, the Mexican chilli and the star spangled banner with a football on it would just be a green/white/red red/white/blue swirl of nothingness now.

Edited by Wolfcastle

This sort of stuff:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62373108

“Help us rank this season’s shirts”

No. Do some fucking work yourself. Get a kit designer, a fashion designer, a marketer, an old-school fan, a kid - whoever. Just don’t put it out to exactly the same army of people who always vote on this shit and usually do so on club lines.

At least I might be mildly interested in what the first group might say. Couldn’t really give the slightest shit about the second group, and I certainly wouldn’t learn anything.

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

"Denied by the woodwork"

You cant be denied by the woodwork, the woodwork is off target.

What about If the ball hits the post then comes out with abit spin on and goes into the goal whilst the keepers on the deck

This hangover from the Ashley era where people seem to be doing a 'plays well=he'll be off to another club' equation in their heads, with what seems like a three week period of enjoying it.

Would love to just enjoy our players, the ambition, and the future without all these Salacious Crumbs in my ear 'being realistic'

Nowt worse than doom clouds on a come down when everyone's on a high.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

This hangover from the Ashley era where people seem to be doing a 'plays well=he'll be off to another club' equation in their heads. 

Would love to just enjoy our players, the ambition, and the future without all these Salacious Crumbs in my ear 'being realistic'

Nowt worse than doom clouds on a come down when everyone's on a high.

I get your point but it will always be the case even now when we're on an upward curve. Especially when it comes to someone like Bruno for example. He'd have dreamt as a kid of playing for Real Madrid and he's good enough for it. 

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Utterly depressing that we have ambitions for literally the very top of the game and there are still people in our own support thinking like that 

I think it’s natural tbh. Sometimes coming from outside I feel like I’m being the voice of reason telling people it’s ok, you’ve got a great manager and money, it’ll be fine. Then I look at how anxious I am about Arsenal’s spending, West Ham’s good buys etc etc. It takes time to recover from trauma :lol:. They’ll get there.

Guest HTT II

You will have the media, pundits et al trying to sell any top player like they’ve done ever since Sky existed. They were practically saying Rooney needed to move after only a few appearances. That’s why I don’t listen to any of that shite. It’s natural to expect that a player like a Bruno will be courted by bigger or more successful clubs, but I would just relax and try and enjoy him and if he does move, not to take it to heart too much. It’s about how the money gets reinvested, Coutinho left LFC, arguably their best player, look what they ended up doing with that money and what they achieved since. 

Edited by HTT II