Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Mick Lowes saying that has just reminded me of when Roger Thames used to always say 'at the double' when a player scored twice. Dunno why, but it was proper annoying. :lol:

'the proverbial [thing]'

Can recall Robert's freekick at Liverpool being 'the proverbial exocet.' Not contrived at all. :lol:

5 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Dunno if I’ve posted it before, but referencing a player’s nationality constantly.

”That’s the Paraguyan‘s first goal this season” 

“A brilliant assist from the Italian”

Just say “his”/“him”

"they"

:coolsmiley:

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Actually just looked it up and the exocet missile was French designed. Maybe Thames is a genius after all. 

I'm sure he used to pick up some lines from the original commentary. Like the Cort goal v Everton I remember Martin Tyler saying 'he really needed that one' when he was celebrating. Tames used the exact same line on the End of Season DVD. :lol:

Seems to be happening less often lately, but the next person to suggest Paqueta as a wide option will be yeeted into the sun.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He would come in ideally as a RCM but he could almost certainly cover the right wing like.

Really a generalized pet hate of mine, players being played out of position. Particularly when it’s blindingly obvious that their best position is elsewhere. Bruce, the fucking moron, was a master at doing this.

While he is versatile, it’d be infuriating if we signed Paqueta to play him primarily at RW. :lol:

To add to that, as I've mentioned him playing RW for us but want to sort of clear my name here [emoji38]

For me it's not so much bringing Paqueta in to play right wing, just that if he's the only signing we make I'd rather play him on the right with one of Willock/Longstaff/Shelvey in midfield, rather than Fraser/Almiron/Murphy on the wing and Paqueta RCM. It's hypothetical though as I cannot see us not signing a dedicated right winger.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Players going down and holding on to the ball when they reckon they've been fouled.

Yeah but it's enjoyable when they get caught out and give away a handball.

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Players going down and holding on to the ball when they reckon they've been fouled.

It forces the referee into a decision. Most likely awarding the FK for the foul (that wasn’t going to be given) and occasionally a FK for handling. 
In my past life as a referee I would think it a Douche move, but give them one FK for the foul, but the second time it was going the other way  

21 minutes ago, madras said:

Yeah but it's enjoyable when they get caught out and give away a handball.

Not often the refs have the bollocks to give it like. Love it when they do. But certain clubs ref games themselves

On 14/07/2022 at 16:43, Kid Icarus said:

Mick Lowes saying that has just reminded me of when Roger Thames used to always say 'at the double' when a player scored twice. Dunno why, but it was proper annoying. :lol:

I could have gone the rest of my life not remembering about this :lol: It never stuck out but saying it in my head now aye its weied

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:
On 14/07/2022 at 16:43, Kid Icarus said:

I could have gone the rest of my life not remembering about this :lol: It never stuck out but saying it in my head now aye its weied

Tbh I love Roger Tames. His voice was a staple of my childhood and I had the pleasure of meeting him when he came to do a lecture when I studied sports journalism at Northumbria. He was an absolute gent and is underrated in terms of his actual commentary. Do wonder why he never got to do much actual live stuff. 

On 14/07/2022 at 10:16, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm sure he used to pick up some lines from the original commentary. Like the Cort goal v Everton I remember Martin Tyler saying 'he really needed that one' when he was celebrating. Tames used the exact same line on the End of Season DVD. :lol:

That end of season video commentary was recorded after the fact? That's devastated me. 

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tbh I love Roger Tames. His voice was a staple of my childhood and I had the pleasure of meeting him when he came to do a lecture when I studied sports journalism at Northumbria. He was an absolute gent and is underrated in terms of his actual commentary. Do wonder why he never got to do much actual live stuff. 

I couldn't stand him myself, but at least you can spell his name correctly. Been a pet hate of mine for years, that.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

He probably did, its just ITV didn't have the rights to the PL or FA Cup and whose watching the mackems against Grimsby or Boro against Luton when Super Sunday's on one side and Football Italia on the other.

Roger Tames ? I've a mate who was in a Squash ladder with him, lovely bloke before the match but got increasingly narky when getting beat and wouldn't talk and fucked off straight away if he got beat. 

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

That end of season video commentary was recorded after the fact? That's devastated me. 

I got alerted to that when Tyler described it as raining at St James Park when it was actually snow. Then the fact he was also commentating on a six other games simultaneously.

Its actually a major pet hate when they pretend to be there "here at Goodison Park" or classically mention the time just before the goal "52 minutes gone here at Selhurst Park" then, would you credit it, a goal is scored. You can dub commentary on without that and not insult our intelligence and lie basically.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Like when I found out that bands would often re do bits of live albums in the studio.

11 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

I got alerted to that when Tyler described it as raining at St James Park when it was actually snow. Then the fact he was also commentating on a six other games simultaneously.

Its actually a major pet hate when they pretend to be there "here at Goodison Park" or classically mention the time just before the goal "52 minutes gone here at Selhurst Park" then, would you credit it, a goal is scored. You can dub commentary on without that and not insult our intelligence and lie basically.

TV and Film is full of lies, it's all about creating an illusion. Imagine if he said "Well here I am in the Tyne Tees basement recording my commentary for a game that ended 3-0 2 hours ago" wouldn't really be gripping TV. 

3 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

TV and Film is full of lies, it's all about creating an illusion. Imagine if he said "Well here I am in the Tyne Tees basement recording my commentary for a game that ended 3-0 2 hours ago" wouldn't really be gripping TV. 

Horses for courses I guess. I'm more taking out of it knowing they're not there and them pretending to be. Would rather have SFX.

They commentated on a game between Coventry and Swindon from Leeds after the Leeds game got called off and played it straight ,mentioning the situation multiple times. Just as well because the satellite feed died just as Swindon scored.