Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

On 02/07/2023 at 22:08, Newcastle4lyf said:

People gatekeeping what teams you’re allowed to support ‘you’re from London, you can’t support Utd.’ ‘You’ve always supported Utd, you can’t switch to Newcastle’ ‘You can’t support two teams’. Just live and let live

Which Utd? West Ham, Sheffield, Oxford, Cambridge, Rotherham, Leeds. Sutton United would be a good one for the London folk as Wist 'Am are Essex's team now Spurs are shite

“Can’t afford his wages.”

1. Majority of the time, nobody has a fucking clue what the player’s wages are.

2. Players can and do take pay cuts for new opportunities!

• 2 weeks later...

This club statement uses the American convention - that really winds me up - of using team names as a singular noun i.e. saying "Newcastle is" rather than "Newcastle are" :angryfire: (which too many sounds much more impersonal)

When did this start ??

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/newcastle-united-appoints-simon-capper-as-chief-financial-officer/?fbclid=iwar3nsucolfr88avrs0olvn_kq7z02im-eg_80i19sigrx4i_hiupzph7im4

20 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

This club statement uses the American convention - that really winds me up - of using team names as a singular noun i.e. saying "Newcastle is" rather than "Newcastle are" :angryfire: (which too many sounds much more impersonal)

When did this start ??

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/newcastle-united-appoints-simon-capper-as-chief-financial-officer/?fbclid=iwar3nsucolfr88avrs0olvn_kq7z02im-eg_80i19sigrx4i_hiupzph7im4

I've never known that to be an American convention like. Newcastle United is a singular proper noun.

Edited by Kid Icarus

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've never known that to be an American convention like. Newcastle United is a singular proper noun.

I am not a language expert by any means but surely the word 'United' implies a collective? Newcastle Utd are sounds more correct to my ear than Newcastle Utd is.

At the bottom of every news article page on the official website it has the slogan "We Are United" for instance. (Of course the word WE preceded Are, so not the best example.  ;) )

Not even mentioning American conventions as I wouldn't know.

8 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

I am not a language expert by any means but surely the word 'United' implies a collective? Newcastle Utd are sounds more correct to my ear than Newcastle Utd is.

At the bottom of every news article page on the official website it has the slogan "We Are United" for instance. (Of course the word WE preceded Are, so not the best example.  ;) )

These things always end up going the way of popular usage (band names for example sound wrong used as singular nouns) so it wouldn't surprise me for things like football teams to end up as 'are' rather than 'is', but 'is' is definitely the correct usage. If you said 'the players of Newcastle United' or 'the fans...' then are would be right, but Newcastle United on its own is technically a singular proper noun.

Edited by Kid Icarus

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

These things always end up going the way of popular usage (band names for example sound wrong used as singular nouns) so it wouldn't surprise me for things like football teams to end up as 'are' rather than 'is', but 'is' is definitely the correct usage. If you said 'the players of Newcastle United' or 'the fans...' then are would be right, but Newcastle United on its own is technically a singular proper noun.

Technically yes, but I’m pretty sure that the convention historically and colloquially is for the English to say “are” and Americans to say “is”. As to whether “is” is becoming more prevalent in British media? No idea.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I believe both are correct because we can treat it as a plural noun, like people, ‘group’ or bands. It’s definitely a Brit - American thing. It’s not normal for a Brit to say ‘Newcastle is’. Similarly Americans do treat bands as singular - an American would typically say ‘Oasis is…’.

Edited by Superior Acuña

18 minutes ago, Deuce said:

“Amortisation”

the word, not the concept.

Feeling like you need basic accountancy skills to get on understanding football is 100% a negative development.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Feeling like you need basic accountancy skills to get on understanding football is 100% a negative development.

The information asymmetry between what the club knows and what we know re: finances is as wide as the Grand Canyon and there’s nothing we can do about it anyway. Lads on here in tears trying to number crunch our transfer dealings. :lol: 

Edited by Deuce

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

The information asymmetry between what the club knows and what we know re: finances is as wide as the Grand Canyon and there’s nothing we can do about it anyway. Lads on here in tears trying to number crunch our transfer dealings. :lol: 

:lol:

On 15/07/2023 at 10:51, Irish Magpie said:

The singular is common in America. New York Mets is a terrible baseball team. 

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Feel like the opposite is true. “The Mets are white hot dogshit” this season. 

But “the team/club is”

59 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That can’t be true. When you call a hotline, they don’t say “we is experiencing performance outage in your area” they’d say “we are experiencing performance outage in your area”. 

Or “The New York Mets are exploring coaching options at this current moment”. I’ve never seen this “is” you speak of. 

Edited by Astroblack

On 19/07/2023 at 17:46, GEFAFWISP said:

All this "baller" shite.

Maybe those using it are fans of Skee Low? 

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
And a six-four Impala

Seeing Sergio Ramos being talked about as one of the best defenders of all time. Good defender obviously but shouldn’t be mentioned as an all time goat. Same with Puyol too, imo. Brilliant defender but not a goat.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Seeing Sergio Ramos being talked about as one of the best defenders of all time. Good defender obviously but shouldn’t be mentioned as an all time goat. Same with Puyol too, imo. Brilliant defender but not a goat.

Oof - that’s a big call :)

I think they’re up there tbh.  Certainly in my lifetime.  

They're absolutely greats imo. Probably not in the best XI in my lifetime but only because the bar is incredibly high. Definitely wouldn't complain if others had them in theirs like, they were class.

Edited by Kid Icarus