Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

When 'worst signing' or 'worst player' lists are packed full of obscure foreigners who were talented but never quite settled in for whatever reason, but genuinely shite footballers are ignored seemingly just for being British.

When 'worst signing' or 'worst player' lists are packed full of obscure foreigners who were talented but never quite settled in for whatever reason, but genuinely shite footballers are ignored seemingly just for being British.

Roy Hodgson made a good one the other week.

Jonathan Pearce's pronunciation of foreign footballers. "Ooogo Almeida." "Fabio ConTRAW". "Kadletsss".

Just because you're commentating on Portuguese people doesn't you need to pretend to be one.

Jonathan Pearce's pronunciation of foreign footballers. "Ooogo Almeida." "Fabio ConTRAW". "Kadletsss".

Just because you're commentating on Portuguese people doesn't you need to pretend to be one.

HYPNODISC

HYPNODISC

:spit:

Guest Roger Kint

When people class hitting the post as a shot 'on target'.

The target is the area enclosed between, not including, the posts.

Aye also like last night when Pearce said 'the post saved Cech there' when Ronny hit his freekick, saved him from what? It couldnt possibly have went in as it was wide of the goal.

Aye also like last night when Pearce said 'the post saved Cech there' when Ronny hit his freekick, saved him from what? It couldnt possibly have went in as it was wide of the goal.

What if it goes in off the post??

Guest Roger Kint

Commentary last night was absolutely shocking. The Ronaldo rimming was something else.

Personally i thought 'Ronaldo jumps like a NFL basketball player' was inspired commentary tbh :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Am guessing you never saw the shot then?

Cech got fingertips to it! Was a brilliant save like.

Guest Roger Kint

Cech got fingertips to it! Was a brilliant save like.

Didnt look like it tbh but thats got nowt to do with what we are talking about here. The ball clipped the very outside of the post, physically impossible for it to go in off that angle.

Would you rather they didn't try to use the correct pronunciation?

Personally I hate it when the commentators make no attempt at researching the correct pronunciation of the players' names. I don't always know what is the correct one myself, but other times they get it so drastically wrong. It's their job to get it right, do a bit of research and get practice in beforehand.

My footballing pet hate is people endlessly banging on about how awful commentators and pundits are. ;)

Then why come into the pet hates thread, when the majority of people on this forum dislike most pundits and commentators??

Guest Roger Kint

Personally I hate it when the commentators make no attempt at researching the correct pronunciation of the players' names. I don't always know what is the correct one myself, but other times they get it so drastically wrong. It's their job to get it right, do a bit of research and get practice in beforehand.

Most adopt the David Pleat technique. Call him every possible combination of names in the hope they get it right once or twice. The first Russia game for example, Dzagoev had about 10 different pronunciations in that 90 minutes.

My footballing pet hate is people endlessly banging on about how awful commentators and pundits are. ;)

Then why come into the pet hates thread, when the majority of people on this forum dislike most pundits and commentators??

It was slightly tongue in cheek to be honest - but surely my footballing pet hate of people complaining about commentators is as valid as a pet hate that actually complains about commentators??

In addition, I am not sure that it follows that I shouldn't come into a football pet hates thread because I don't get worked up about pundits and commentators??

Seriously, i'm genuinely intrigued - is Kallstrom genuinely Shallstrom in Swedish? Irritates me that, when commentators label the local dialect on only one player.

Yes. In his name K sounds like Sh. But with the letters Ä and Ö it doesn't sounds like Shallstrom with an A and O... add the sounds of Ä and Ö and it sounds good - Shällström  O0  -  [kɪm ˈɕɛl.ˈstrœm]