Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Central Winger?!

I can't remember if it's a player who comes from a wide position to receive the ball centrally, or starts centrally and gets the ball out wide, using that movement to drag defenders. I also can't think of an example of such a player.

Central Winger?!

I can't remember if it's a player who comes from a wide position to receive the ball centrally, or starts centrally and gets the ball out wide, using that movement to drag defenders. I also can't think of an example of such a player.

Does that mean youve just made it up?  :shifty:

While we're on the subject, whats the difference between a fullback and a wingback?...

Central Winger?!

While we're on the subject, whats the difference between a fullback and a wingback?...

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/12/03/introducing-the-central-winger/

Wingbacks are higher up, attack more, cover a longer distance of the flank? :dontknow:

I always found it interesting that in Brazil the wing/fullbacks are refered to as left and right 'laterals', removing the defensive aspect of the name. Therefore you end up with Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Daniel Alves, Maicon etc...

You see I can see what they mean by that when he mentions Ozil, but in that just seems more appropriate to just say they've got a free role with a tendancy to drift wide. IMO Ben Arfa needs to be able to go wide without the defensive obligations, this however won;t happen (not without justification with the defensive deficiencies of our full backs).

Central Winger?!

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/12/03/introducing-the-central-winger/

Wingbacks are higher up, attack more, cover a longer distance of the flank? :dontknow:

I always found it interesting that in Brazil the wing/fullbacks are refered to as left and right 'laterals', removing the defensive aspect of the name. Therefore you end up with Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Daniel Alves, Maicon etc...

Doesnt it depend on the formation though?...3 at the back=wingback;  back 4=fullback?.... the first time the phrase was used in this country iirc was during the nineties in relation to Terry Venables England's 3-5-2. But attacking fullbacks had been a feature of the game for decades before that.

Santon and Debuchy are very attacking but they play in a back 4... by your definition theyre wingbacks?...

Good point, I suppose it does. For some reason it feels half and half between formation and the natural position of the individual player. Example, Alves plays in a back four at Barca and he is definitely a wingback. However, Johnson and whoever Liverpool are playing there in their 3-5-2 at the moment I wouldn't say are naturally wingbacks, but are playing in that position.

So, in short, is there a difference between being a wingback playing at fullback, and a fullback playing at wingback?

Good point, I suppose it does. For some reason it feels half and half between formation and the natural position of the individual player. Example, Alves plays in a back four at Barca and he is definitely a wingback. However, Johnson and whoever Liverpool are playing there in their 3-5-2 at the moment I wouldn't say are naturally wingbacks, but are playing in that position.

So, in short, is there a difference between being a wingback playing at fullback, and a fullback playing at wingback?

Not for me no, its just that some fullbacks attack more than others, theres no real difference in how the position is played if you're an attacking, overlapping fullback in aback 4 and a "wingback" in a back 3.

The Brazilians as you say have played with that sort of player for decades, see Carlos Alberto's classic goal from the 1970 WC final.

Players walking out onto the pitch wearing those team jackets, then immediately taking them off once hand shakes are completed.

Why bother? Just come out in your kit.

Got to market the jackets to sell for cashmoney.

Not some recurring thing, but it still annoys me that we gave away 4 of the 11, or about 35% of the points to the worst team in PL history.

That Kenny Miller goal..

One of the most depressing trips I've had supporting Newcastle. Grim Ikea stadium in a parking lot, bunch of pissed thirteen year olds sat in front acting like right cunts. Still remember Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls," or whatever the fuck its called was played at half time while we're trailing and these cunts are singing along... "You had me suicidal." Never has a song felt more apt.