Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

madras has actually highlighted one for me there - whenever people compare the rules/conduct codes etc of football to that of rugby.

The idea that you could theoretically be booked for putting your arm up and calling "ours" or whatever when the ball goes out for a throw, which I've seen debated on here before, is an absolutely ludicrous one. Yes, players do too much surrounding the ref and too much shouting and balling at the officials - but officials in football are largely piss poor and very much influenced by the crowds IMO, so I don't take the whole 'Respect' thing too seriously. Referees are immune to criticism from players, coaches and managers (well, there's sanctions for them) and aren't allowed to explain/justify/apologise in the press afterwards, so a little bit of shit from the players they've just conned out of a penalty or a blatant foul is fair enough tbh.

Rugby is a totally different sport, the only real similarity is that it's played with some sort of ball on a similar sized field.

madras has actually highlighted one for me there - whenever people compare the rules/conduct codes etc of football to that of rugby.

The idea that you could theoretically be booked for putting your arm up and calling "ours" or whatever when the ball goes out for a throw, which I've seen debated on here before, is an absolutely ludicrous one. Yes, players do too much surrounding the ref and too much shouting and balling at the officials - but officials in football are largely p*ss poor and very much influenced by the crowds IMO, so I don't take the whole 'Respect' thing too seriously. Referees are immune to criticism from players, coaches and managers (well, there's sanctions for them) and aren't allowed to explain/justify/apologise in the press afterwards, so a little bit of s*** from the players they've just conned out of a penalty or a blatant foul is fair enough tbh.

Rugby is a totally different sport, the only real similarity is that it's played with some sort of ball on a similar sized field.

there are some things football could learn from rugby, I pointed out one, i'd also put in respctful behaviour to officials.

I'd have a rule whereby if you go down injured and the game is stopped, you have to leave the field for a minimum of 2 minutes. A countdown clock is started as soon as the game is restarted after you've left the field and the ref can only consider waving you back on after the clock has got to zero.

Reckon those fake injuries would drop by about 100%.

I'd have a rule whereby if you go down injured and the game is stopped, you have to leave the field for a minimum of 2 minutes. A countdown clock is started as soon as the game is restarted after you've left the field and the ref can only consider waving you back on after the clock has got to zero.

too much hassle and why punish a team for a genuine injury ?. if a player is injured the physio can come on, game carries on, player is considered out of the game and must leave the pitch after treatment.

The idea that you could theoretically be booked for putting your arm up and calling "ours" or whatever when the ball goes out for a throw, which I've seen debated on here before, is an absolutely ludicrous one. Yes, players do too much surrounding the ref and too much shouting and balling at the officials - but officials in football are largely p*ss poor and very much influenced by the crowds IMO, so I don't take the whole 'Respect' thing too seriously. Referees are immune to criticism from players, coaches and managers (well, there's sanctions for them) and aren't allowed to explain/justify/apologise in the press afterwards, so a little bit of s*** from the players they've just conned out of a penalty or a blatant foul is fair enough tbh.

there are some things football could learn from rugby, I pointed out one, i'd also put in respctful behaviour to officials.

My problem with that debate is how far it gets taken, like the example I gave earlier. Rugby players can't even appeal for a decision politely, which as a football player I'm sure most would agree sticking your hand up and going "ours" is a pretty instinctive thing to do.

As for respectful behaviour towards officials - I personally have no trouble doing that during a football match, but if they're consistently shit, I can't help but moan and shoot my mouth off a bit.

too much hassle and why punish a team for a genuine injury ?. if a player is injured the physio can come on, game carries on, player is considered out of the game and must leave the pitch after treatment.

If he's genuinley injured he'll need at least 2 minutes to sort himself out, or they can substitute him.

Also, i would say the ratio of fake, time wasting injuries to genuine ones is probably more than 10-1.

but if they're consistently shit, I can't help but moan and shoot my mouth off a bit.

No excuse for that at all IMO, needs to completely stamped out. 'Consistently shit' can mean so many things... in the game you might think a decision is wrong, on replay it turns out to be spot on. And players are about the most biased people and the least qualified to judge what is good decision (during a match). Rugby has it exactly right.

I see no problem in a player showing his frustration, I fucking hate yellow cards for petulance, unless it's repeated and/or well over the top. Talk to the player, tell him to calm down and if he doesn't accept the decision then book him, it cannot be that difficult.

Slamming a ball on the ground in annoyance at a decision will sooner get you sent off than a blatant dive.

Dont think intimidating referees is acceptable but I dont want to see players punished for protesting. It's natural and dont really consider it a problem.

can't be that natural when it doesn't happen in most other sports.

A yellow card for slamming the ball down is pathetic, understand kicking it away in frustration but not just for a slam down. Even if a player beats his hands on the ground, nothing wrong with showing frustration at a decision you may feel is incorrect.

A yellow card for slamming the ball down is pathetic, understand kicking it away in frustration but not just for a slam down. Even if a player beats his hands on the ground, nothing wrong with showing frustration at a decision you may feel is incorrect.

Well there is kind of, you're supposed to act like a professional and show respect for the game and the officials. Not act like a child when something doesn't go your way.

Guest bimpy474

This is where i think a ref should be able to call the player over to tell him off but not card him. Stern warning not to do it again or he will be booked.

Guest thenorthumbrian

United and City. As in United are playing Newcastle today.Or City are playing Cardiff.Or football phone ins "United supporter Johnny come lately on from Exeter". The meja need to realise there are more than wo teams with United and City in their title.

United and City. As in United are playing Newcastle today.Or City are playing Cardiff.Or football phone ins "United supporter Johnny come lately on from Exeter". The meja need to realise there are more than wo teams with United and City in their title.

As much as I'd never call us United, I do hate the concept that "United" must automatically be referring to ManUre.

As such I've taken to a conscious raising exercise every time I'm introduced to anyone new, and the subject of football comes up.

When asked who I support, I'll say I'm a "big United man" and no matter who they support, it'll always be some shit about Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs or some other crap.

So I give them the "not sure if serious" face and ask them what the fuck they're talking about that for, cause I couldn't give a shit about those cunts  :lol:

"but you're a United fan, right?"

"yip, big fan, but not of Manchester, sorry to bust your chops here but there's more than one"

Strangely, it never seems to go down that well  :lol:

Footballers aren't robots, they want to win so sometimes their passion will come across, either in a positive way or negative. As long as it isn't over the top, it's good to see a player cares for the cause.

Dont think intimidating referees is acceptable but I dont want to see players punished for protesting. It's natural and dont really consider it a problem.

I'm sure players in other sports want to protest but the authorities crack down on it. Surely you don't think rugby players don't want to complain too?! I don't think challenging authority or showing frustration is something that needs to be stifled when not excessive.

Your sport and...the NFL are the only two I can think of that haven't taken steps to curb it. NBA players can't even look at a ref without getting punished, and MLB refs are so untouchable that they're the most power mad fuckwits on the face of the planet.

It just happened in the Atletico-Real Madrid match. The entire "player goes down from minor contact , and the opposing team plays the ball in extremely tentative and confused manner for an entire minute while the crowd gets increasingly agitated until the referee finally blows" routine. It is ridiculous.

Your sport and...the NFL are the only two I can think of that haven't taken steps to curb it. NBA players can't even look at a ref without getting punished, and MLB refs are so untouchable that they're the most power mad fuckwits on the face of the planet.

Surely there is a balance between the lawlessness of football and the totalitarian regime Stern has imposed on the NBA.