Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

The whole concept of "winning" a penalty is awful. Should never be about "winning" a penalty for your team. Just hate that terminology, and the fact it's easily accepted as a widespread attitude in the game.

Players celebrating winning penalties. Kaka yesterday for example.

Didn't Taylor do that against the Mackems a few years ago? :lol:

And against Liverpool in 2006. Solano scored iirc. We won 2-1.

The whole concept of "winning" a penalty is awful. Should never be about "winning" a penalty for your team. Just hate that terminology, and the fact it's easily accepted as a widespread attitude in the game.

Agree.

On a related note - and I think it's been mentioned on here before - when commentators/pundits applaud someone for staying on their feet. Essentially congratulating a player for, er, not cheating? :lol:

Very well done for not trying to con the referee, here's a medal.

On a related note - and I think it's been mentioned on here before - when commentators/pundits applaud someone for staying on their feet. Essentially congratulating a player for, er, not cheating? :lol:

Nah I disagree, too often a player is impeded but because he doesn't hit the deck, nothing is given.

Nah I disagree, too often a player is impeded but because he doesn't hit the deck, nothing is given.

I don't like the idea of the player almost trying to do the referee's job for him, by tumbling to the floor. I can see why players do it sometimes - for the benefit of their team - but I don't like that attitude one bit. I'd much rather the overwhelming mentality be "I'm going to stay on my feet here unless I really can't." Yes, sometimes you won't get a free kick/penalty, but I'd much rather that than players going to ground at the slightest contact.

It's not really a black and white issue - granted - but, going back to my previous comment, it's fuelled by this sense of achievement - often coming from commentators/pundits, i.e. the media, that if you don't go over in the area when there hasn't actually been sufficient contact to warrant you going to ground, you've done really well. It just doesn't sit well with me, personally.

That's part of the problem, there's no reward for honesty. A player can get fouled in the area but if he doesn't hit the deck the ref won't call it. I watched a Championship match last year, it might of been Bristol City, where a lad was slide tackled from  the side, the defender getting no where near the ball yet he stayed on his feet and got the shot away. Had he gone to ground I have no doubt the ref would of pointed to the spot. I like it when a player stays on his feet but there is little reward for doing so, yet the cheat who goes down under a light wind is rewarded almost every time. The whole thing is backwards.

Not sure if this is a US/TX thing.....but "you have to ask for 10 yards" is now part of the game.  Defenders think they don't have to back up unless the team taking the kick asks the referee to make them get back, thereby turning the free kick into a ceremonial kick on the referees whistle.

Is "Ask for 10" a problem in UK game too?

I think the trouble with cutting analysis on Match of the Day is that football is so popular and most people who watch it, do so for the goals and little else. It's much more likely to be watched by the casual fan than any other sporting programme is and as a result, stuff on the main channels has to be a bit "lowest common denominator". They still need to discuss the games but it generally ends up being little more than paying lip service.

That said, I still really enjoy MOTD, a much bigger problem is when they have the same lazy pundits doing international tournaments and don't know anything about the majority of the teams/players. Most if not all of the ex-players seem to think they can get by on simply having played the game, and some do have more to say than others, but it's now their f***ing job to do some research. Alan Shearer would never have gone onto a pitch and given anything less than 100% but he seems more than happy to do it in his new role.

This was 30+ years ago and it must be a hell of a lot worse now surely?

Love watching old footage of Clough taking people apart.

He's had to build a Premier League side from scratch.

He's built 2 or 3, chopped them apart again and ended up going back to the same old crap repeatedly. They play shite football and use some of the most dirty under-hand tactics going yet get praised to the heavens for it. All of which wouldn't be too much of an irritance if the myth about 'limited resources' didn't get bandied about all the time. They've got massive resources, what they're doing now should be the minimum requirement. I'm actually surprised their fans aren't asking questions yet.

on stokes "limited resources"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/21/stoke-city-finances-caborn-ferguson

That's part of the problem, there's no reward for honesty. A player can get fouled in the area but if he doesn't hit the deck the ref won't call it. I watched a Championship match last year, it might of been Bristol City, where a lad was slide tackled from  the side, the defender getting no where near the ball yet he stayed on his feet and got the shot away. Had he gone to ground I have no doubt the ref would of pointed to the spot. I like it when a player stays on his feet but there is little reward for doing so, yet the cheat who goes down under a light wind is rewarded almost every time. The whole thing is backwards.

Aye, I hate that too. It also irks me when the "experts" come out with guff like "it can't have been a penalty/free kick because the attackers didn't appeal" or "it must have been a penalty/free kick because the defenders didn't argue" - it's not cricket, you don't have to appeal, and you might get booked if the ref disagrees in the first case, and you should get booked if you argue in the second one. They're just cliche-parroting dimwits.

He's had to build a Premier League side from scratch.

He's built 2 or 3, chopped them apart again and ended up going back to the same old crap repeatedly. They play shite football and use some of the most dirty under-hand tactics going yet get praised to the heavens for it. All of which wouldn't be too much of an irritance if the myth about 'limited resources' didn't get bandied about all the time. They've got massive resources, what they're doing now should be the minimum requirement. I'm actually surprised their fans aren't asking questions yet.

on stokes "limited resources"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/21/stoke-city-finances-caborn-ferguson

Cheers for that mate. I've been considering writing something up on this exact subject, such does this myth irritate me.

I think the trouble with cutting analysis on Match of the Day is that football is so popular and most people who watch it, do so for the goals and little else. It's much more likely to be watched by the casual fan than any other sporting programme is and as a result, stuff on the main channels has to be a bit "lowest common denominator". They still need to discuss the games but it generally ends up being little more than paying lip service.

That said, I still really enjoy MOTD, a much bigger problem is when they have the same lazy pundits doing international tournaments and don't know anything about the majority of the teams/players. Most if not all of the ex-players seem to think they can get by on simply having played the game, and some do have more to say than others, but it's now their f***ing job to do some research. Alan Shearer would never have gone onto a pitch and given anything less than 100% but he seems more than happy to do it in his new role.

This was 30+ years ago and it must be a hell of a lot worse now surely?

Love watching old footage of Clough taking people apart.

Tbqh, he talks a lot of shit there about television coverage of football at the time.  Nothing to be proud of.

Although it might have been some predetermined attack aimed at people who were rightly and possibly accurately criticizing him, his team or both.

Pretty standard stuff underneath the surface, what most managers do these days.  Dunno if others around the time were on a similar wave-length.

Guest BooBoo

'Scotty' being used to describe Scott Parker. Piss off.

Nicknames in general are annoying when used by commentators/pundits. Kamara is terrible for it, "Guess who's on the spot Jeff, that's right, Stevie G who makes no mistake!"

When pundits say. To be fair to him hes not.using it as an excuse. If the manager has said

'we have had a tough run of games, but we're not using it as an excuse'

The fact he mentions it means its an excuse. Just by saying its an excuse doesnt mean your not getting your excuse slily into the conversation

mentioned this in the other games thread but putting it here too

inability of the media to accept Lampard is not automatic 1st choice for Chelsea anymore and inability to accept hes on the decline (while remaining a good player) he's 34 and AVB wants a more passing system to get Torres firing and thats showing signs of working and Lampard does not fit into that